Sons' sorrow

57 minutes ago, microdave said:
1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:
Can't see the SPFL going for that.

I dunno. We've moved challenge Cup games in the past due to pre booked events. It will be a bit unfair on the winning team then having to play the first leg of the final with a day less recovery than their opposition. But the fans vs legends game has been organised for months. Glad I'm not having to make the decision tbh.

I’d be astounded if the SPFL allowed a charity game we’ve double booked at our stadium to dictate the dates of the playoffs. I think it sounds like a fantastic event the supporter’s team have organised but I’m not shocked in the slightest that we’ve allowed them to book it on a potential playoff date, we couldn’t run a fucking bath.

I’d be astounded if the SPFL allowed a charity game we’ve double booked at our stadium to dictate the dates of the playoffs. I think it sounds like a fantastic event the supporter’s team have organised but I’m not shocked in the slightest that we’ve allowed them to book it on a potential playoff date, we couldn’t run a fucking bath.

That’s really weird. Surely both the board and the supporters would have known the play off dates Why would that date even have been suggested

19 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Is that our official strip unveiling for our 150th year? :lol: Tremendous buzz created there. 

I see we're still using that horrid yellow badge as well. 

You do know that clubs can't simply change badges as they want ?  Any changes need to be notified to the Scottish football authorities for vetting and approval.  Why would you go for that time-consuming hassle when you don't need to.  Is the badge really that bad ?

1 hour ago, Frank Quitely said:

You do know that clubs can't simply change badges as they want ?  Any changes need to be notified to the Scottish football authorities for vetting and approval.  Why would you go for that time-consuming hassle when you don't need to.  Is the badge really that bad ?

The badge we're using on the 150th strip IS a changed badge so we'd have had to submit that anyway. The yellow they're using is different to the one on the current strip (and you'll note from the graphic it's different from the gold band on the actual top, which looks stupid). And yes the yellow is that bad - it's not our colours. 

Edited by The Moonster

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The badge we're using on the 150th strip IS a changed badge so we'd have had to submit that anyway. The yellow they're using is different to the one on the current strip (and you'll note from the graphic it's different from the gold band on the actual top, which looks stupid). And yes the yellow is that bad - it's not our colours. 

The badge hasn't changed, a scroll has been added below it and I'm pretty sure that's allowed.  I think we've more to worry about TBH than this stuff.

13 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

The badge hasn't changed, a scroll has been added below it and I'm pretty sure that's allowed.  I think we've more to worry about TBH than this stuff.

It has changed, unless you're saying these are the same? One at the top clearly a different colour of yellow to every other badge on the page.

Screenshot_20220327-113329_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

It has changed, unless you're saying these are the same? One at the top clearly a different colour of yellow to every other badge on the page.

Screenshot_20220327-113329_Chrome.jpg

Holy f**k, you are getting into a lather about colours on website images - have you never seen the note they put on paint charts about the colour accuracy ?  In any case I don't think League 2 or Lowland League teams will worry much about our badge details 😉 

Edited by Frank Quitely

42 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Holy f**k, you are getting into a lather about colours on website images - have you never seen the note they put on paint charts about the colour accuracy ?  In any case I don't think League 2 or Lowland League teams will worry much about our badge details 😉 

It's just another example of how the club is run tbh. We can't even get the colours of our own badge right. But okay, I'll sit here and clap regardless. 

It's just another example of how the club is run tbh. We can't even get the colours of our own badge right. But okay, I'll sit here and clap regardless. 

I know the image looks different but I’d be surprised if the badge wasn’t the same colour as the gold band in the strip

I think the point Moonster is making here is that small details matter. The club colours should be defined, correct and consistently applied on all club branding. Every business should operate in a similar manner. We should have a defined gold (not yellow) with a set RAL number and that should be carried through everything we do. 

16 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

I think the point Moonster is making here is that small details matter. The club colours should be defined, correct and consistently applied on all club branding. Every business should operate in a similar manner. We should have a defined gold (not yellow) with a set RAL number and that should be carried through everything we do. 

Yeah, these are pretty basic business skills really. If small businesses can do it then the club should be too. Amateur and just lacks professionalism really.

18 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

I've now seen a number of comments regarding the 150th strip/badge, and whilst people are entitled to their opinion it is better if it is an informed one.  So, to put on record, almost every facet of the 150th Anniversary effort has been 'outsourced' by the DFC Board to a four-person volunteer Steering Committee of which I am a member.  Our remit covers replica strips, merchandise, publications, dinners, gala matches, a Hall of Fame intro and a public exhibition.  The DFC Board obviously has oversight and approval and is providing seed funding to be recompensed by sales, but the organisation, sourcing and goods are down to ourselves - all I ask is that we are judged on that basis and not on previous history.

My particular responsibility has been merchandise and as such a considerable amount of effort had been made to ensure that the gold shading on items is just that, gold.  Jordo mentioned the code number and I attach the Pantone reference which was advised to our supplier.  However, gold can a very difficult colour to obtain on certain items; polo shirts for example, and the attached file relates to the only manufacturer we could find in a search of almost twenty websites.  Similarly, we have drilled down into the yarn colour for the scarves and hats as per the last attachment (see if you can guess which shade was selected....) 

I hope that demonstrates that 'small details matter' to us too.  We're doing this for the love of Dumbarton Football Club the historic institution and we're not looking for plaudits, but how about putting the trademark negativity on hold guys until you actually see the stuff ?      

Pantone PMS 1235 Gold Colour.PNG

BSS Gold Polo Shirt.jpg

Scarf & Hat Yarn Shade 23.jpg

12 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've now seen a number of comments regarding the 150th strip/badge, and whilst people are entitled to their opinion it is better if it is an informed one.  So, to put on record, almost every facet of the 150th Anniversary effort has been 'outsourced' by the DFC Board to a four-person volunteer Steering Committee of which I am a member.  Our remit covers replica strips, merchandise, publications, dinners, gala matches, a Hall of Fame intro and a public exhibition.  The DFC Board obviously has oversight and approval and is providing seed funding to be recompensed by sales, but the organisation, sourcing and goods are down to ourselves - all I ask is that we are judged on that basis and not on previous history.

My particular responsibility has been merchandise and as such a considerable amount of effort had been made to ensure that the gold shading on items is just that, gold.  Jordo mentioned the code number and I attach the Pantone reference which was advised to our supplier.  However, gold can a very difficult colour to obtain on certain items; polo shirts for example, and the attached file relates to the only manufacturer we could find in a search of almost twenty websites.  Similarly, we have drilled down into the yarn colour for the scarves and hats as per the last attachment (see if you can guess which shade was selected....) 

I hope that demonstrates that 'small details matter' to us too.  We're doing this for the love of Dumbarton Football Club the historic institution and we're not looking for plaudits, but how about putting the trademark negativity on hold guys until you actually see the stuff ?      

BSS Gold Polo Shirt.jpg

Great post.

For what it's worth I think both shirts will sell like the proverbial hot cakes.

Macron making them is a bonus too.

I mean, who doesn't want a pic of old Boghead on the back of their away shirt, a real nice touch that.

50 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

BSS Gold Polo Shirt.jpg

Fair post, but please don’t take my earlier response as criticism of the excellent work being done behind the scenes, which wasn’t the intention.

I think my general point stands though, and isn’t something the club generally have implemented in the past.

Glad to hear that @O'Kelly Isley III and I am sorry if it sounds like I'm being negative for the sake of it, I appreciate you are volunteers doing this stuff, I just feel the PR side of this is a bit lacking. The graphics we've put out are poor and I don't think I'm asking much for the clubs colours to be adhered to on official stuff. I also feel a bit of buzz could've been created when showing the strips for the first time, we dropped a post with poorly defined graphics about an hour before kick off on Saturday. A wee bit of build up (like we've done brilliantly in the past with video teasers for signings and our cup final stuff) would've been better. But that's all I'll say on it until the stuff arrives.