Sons' sorrow

The past few games to watch as a Sons fan have been horrific. Regards of the results there’s been litterly nothing to excite fans or even give a glimmer of hope.

The most disappointing part for me is the fact that this is coinciding with a spell where a lot of younger ones are coming to watch and I can’t help but feel this makes the on-field performances more important than usual. This is a real chance to get the young fans hooked on supporting us but I can’t help but feel these recent performances will drive them away and we’ll be back at square one again.

3 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

Which is irrelevant to what Microdave posted.  So are we agreed it can be done ?

It really isnt irrelevant.

Edinburgh City sacked Naismith despite them still being in the hunt for a play-off spot - the best they could achieve this year with Kelty in the league. The players were so pissed off with the sacking that the club could barely fill a bench last Friday because so many players were refusing to play.

Can it be done? Sure. Edinburgh City sacked Naismith.

Should they have done it? This is where doing SOMETHING isnt necessarily doing the right thing. Clearly Naismith's sacking, unless it was for non-footballing reasons, was the wrong decision. It's jeopardised their chances of securing their play-off spot. It's created a really unsettled dressing room.

Fans want the club to do something. Anything to roll the dice. in Edinburgh City's case if it looks from the outside that they've done the wrong thing.

6 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Edinburgh City sacked Naismith despite them still being in the hunt for a play-off spot - the best they could achieve this year with Kelty in the league. The players were so pissed off with the sacking that the club could barely fill a bench last Friday because so many players were refusing to play.

Should they have done it? This is where doing SOMETHING isnt necessarily doing the right thing. Clearly Naismith's sacking, unless it was for non-footballing reasons, was the wrong decision. It's jeopardised their chances of securing their play-off spot. It's created a really unsettled dressing room.

Fans want the club to do something. Anything to roll the dice. in Edinburgh City's case if it looks from the outside that they've done the wrong thing.

How is any of that relevant to our scenario? We’re in a completely different situation. 

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

How is any of that relevant to our scenario? We’re in a completely different situation. 

The principle is the same.

Edinburgh City sacked Naismith. From the outside it looks like the wrong decision.

Fans want the club to sack Farrell as a throw of the dice. Is it the right decision? If a new manager comes in and somehow drags better performances from the players in the next 5 weeks then arguably it is. But right now there's a shortage of candidates to replace him. Folk on here have even suggested giving the job to a current player for the rest of the season. That's not sound decision making. Thats desperation. If we ended up having to pay Farrell and McKeown their severance pay and we still went down, would it still be the right decision to have sacked Farrell?

The point at which sacking Farrell was the right decision was about 2 months ago. Now we're left relying on him turning things around because the alternatives, as much as folk want us to roll the dice, aren't any better.

13 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

If we ended up having to pay Farrell and McKeown their severance pay and we still went down, would it still be the right decision to have sacked Farrell?

Yes. I can’t imagine a single Sons fan wants him here next season, even if he does miraculously keep us up. I think almost every Sons fan (bar yourself) would rather see us try anything to stay up because what we have right now is a fucking disaster. If the board try something and it doesn’t work then fair enough, at least they tried. It’s hardly going to cost the world to punt him, I’d be hoping we do it in 6 weeks time anyway. 

Trying to compare the Edinburgh City scenario (a team of players who are unhappy because their gaffer was sacked whilst having them in a reasonably successful position) to our situation is like comparing baws and arseholes. Two completely different scenarios and I’d be flabbergasted if any of our players refused to play because a fucking disaster of a manager got bagged with us staring relegation in the face. If anything I think it would have the complete opposite effect, hence why we all want to see it happen.

Where are you seeing a player revolt. I've had a look at the EC thread on here and there was no mention of it. Same with a Google search. Plus they were only two players short of a full bench which is hardly struggling imo.

I don't know why they sacked Naysmith and tbh, I don't care. I was just pointing out that it's perfectly feasible to recruit a new manager after January has come to an end. As six clubs have done this year.

It’s really quite astonishing that Farrell is still in a job. Even he must by wondering how and why. The board have just sat on their hands and watched us head towards relegation without doing a single thing.

I have never been more confident of any outcome, than Farrell taking us down now.

Edited by FifeSons

37 minutes ago, microdave said:

Where are you seeing a player revolt. I've had a look at the EC thread on here and there was no mention of it. Same with a Google search. Plus they were only two players short of a full bench which is hardly struggling imo.

I don't know why they sacked Naysmith and tbh, I don't care. I was just pointing out that it's perfectly feasible to recruit a new manager after January has come to an end. As six clubs have done this year.

My take on the sacking is that with City having won two of their previous six games and Stenny and to a lesser degree Stranraer on their heels, there was a fear in their Board that they may not manage a play-off spot.  Gary Naysmith had already had one unsuccessful tilt last season and they are presumably hoping that the ship can now be steadied enough to make the Play-Offs.  It could be a bold call, either way.

With two league wins in the last fifteen games, relieving the Dumbarton Manager of his duties looks a whole lot less of a punt.

3 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Edinburgh City sacked Naismith. From the outside it looks like the wrong decision.

Fans want the club to sack Farrell as a throw of the dice. Is it the right decision? If a new manager comes in and somehow drags better performances from the players in the next 5 weeks then arguably it is. But right now there's a shortage of candidates to replace him. Folk on here have even suggested giving the job to a current player for the rest of the season. That's not sound decision making. Thats desperation. If we ended up having to pay Farrell and McKeown their severance pay and we still went down, would it still be the right decision to have sacked Farrell?

The point at which sacking Farrell was the right decision was about 2 months ago. Now we're left relying on him turning things around because the alternatives, as much as folk want us to roll the dice, aren't any better.

Well, just off the top of my head, Gary Naysmith might be one. 

5 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

4 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I’m begging you to stop.

12 hours ago, microdave said:

From somebody who is involved with a club they've played against.