Sons' sorrow

29 minutes ago, sonsism said:

Nonsense

6 weeks until the end of the season.

Who is out there who would accept the job and who you'd want us to appoint?

Seriously. Who takes the job? If the club had weeks to invite applications, hold interviews and then appoint a new manager? Great. Unfortunately the last game of the season is April 30th. So who takes the job, how quickly do we appoint them and where is the money coming from to punt Farrell and his assistant?

The time for sacking Farrell was January. 6 weeks before the end of the season? We wouldn't have anybody in place for Saturday. If we're very lucky then we'd have somebody in place for next saturday. That's 5 weeks left of the season. 5 weeks for a new manager to come in, work with the players, try and finish 8th and - if not - then prepare for a very likely play-off?

Managers who are out of work at this point of the season are out of work for a reason. Managers who are out of work for a reason and who are within our scope to appoint? It's fantasy. We don't have the time, we don't have the money and there isnt an abundance of available options who could take over at short notice. We're stuck with Farrell until at least the end of the season.

49 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

So we appoint Kevin Harper and still go down. Another manager search in the summer when he decides he doesnt fancy it?

Fans want the club to do anything because as fans we want to see the club taking action. The club? They'll be worried about doing anything for the sake of it and ending up with the exact same outcome and a bill for their troubles.

If Kevin Harper took us down and there was no improvement then aye, another manager search in the summer. The support aren’t asking for a full scale recruitment process to take place at this stage of the season, we just want the club to try anything to keep us up, if that doesn’t work out then at least the board tried. I don’t think you’d find a single fan who viewed it as “doing anything for the sake of it”. Even if Farrell scrapes survival I want him gone so the bill just now wont be hellish much more (if anything) that what it would be in the summer.

We’re not asking them to move mountains, we are asking them to be competent and do what any other club would do in our situation. If they can’t do that then they shouldn’t be there.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If Kevin Harper took us down and there was no improvement then aye, another manager search in the summer. The support aren’t asking for a full scale recruitment process to take place at this stage of the season, we just want the club to try anything to keep us up, if that doesn’t work out then at least the board tried. I don’t think you’d find a single fan who viewed it as “doing anything for the sake of it”. Even if Farrell scrapes survival I want him gone so the bill just now wont be hellish much more (if anything) that what it would be in the summer.

We’re not asking them to move mountains, we are asking them to be competent and do what any other club would do in our situation. If they can’t do that then they shouldn’t be there.

How else do you think we're going to recruit somebody? Give prospective candidates until Wednesday to stick their names in the hat and then randomly draw our new gaffer for the next 6 weeks? Sadly we can't just phone "Rent-a-Gaffer" and ask them for a new manager on a short term agency hire for 6 weeks.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

How else do you think we're going to recruit somebody? Give prospective candidates until Wednesday to stick their names in the hat and then randomly draw our new gaffer for the next 6 weeks? Sadly we can't just phone "Rent-a-Gaffer" and ask them for a new manager on a short term agency hire for 6 weeks.

Well the board could take their thumbs oot their arses and approach people and ask them if they’d be willing to give it a bash. As I’ve said numerous times I’d rather a senior player was allowed to take the team for the next 6 weeks. 

A short term quick fix doesn’t require a full scale recruitment process, but you know that.

For me, its not just relegation and playing in a lesser league that bothers me, its being one step closer to the trapdoor out of the SPFL. One step closer to our worst (and very realistic) nightmare of not even having a club to support anymore. I don't think its an exaggeration to say the very future of the club is at risk by what happens between now and the end of the season.

Edited by FifeSons

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Well the board could take their thumbs oot their arses and approach people and ask them if they’d be willing to give it a bash. As I’ve said numerous times I’d rather a senior player was allowed to take the team for the next 6 weeks. 

A short term quick fix doesn’t require a full scale recruitment process, but you know that.

For a start anybody taking the job would need the appropriate coaching license.

Any senior player currently at the club spring to mind? You'd honestly want one of the current shower who got us into this mess to suddenly be put in charge? How abut Syvertson since he's doing naff all else. Maybe he's the next tactical genius?

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

For a start anybody taking the job would need the appropriate coaching license.

Any senior player currently at the club spring to mind? You'd honestly want one of the current shower who got us into this mess to suddenly be put in charge? How abut Syvertson since he's doing naff all else. Maybe he's the next tactical genius?

Over Stevie Farrell? Absolutely. I’d rather see anyone in charge over Stevie Farrell.

As for your last sentence, you are just being daft and for me that’s a sign of someone who’s just digging a bit of a hole and resorting to absolute pish to back up their argument.

39 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

With the greatest respect BSF your last 7 or 8 posts have been an utter counsel of despair.  Name me another set of fans in the Scottish senior game who would be as resigned as you appear to be regarding the current situation.  It is patently evident that Stevie Farrell is reduced to throwing names and team formations in the air and hoping they somehow gel, never mind the astonishing interview he gave in the wake of the latest defeat.  Absolutely nothing personal, but I would wager decent money that even removing him from the dugout would see an uptick in both performance and squad morale.

So, what to do ?  In the knowledge that apparently one DFC Director has responsibility for football matters we have to hope that this individual recognises the gravity of the current situation and is minded to act.  It has already been mentioned that a senior player could be approached to take the reins for the remaining games and that's certainly an option I would try, because f**k me, we are sliding steadily into Division Two as things stand.  After the dust settles this season everything could then be considered afresh.

I also don't feel that a whole lot of management is needed right now - the squad knows itself inside out and basic organisation, playing people in their positions and a hoped-for increase in morale and commitment could see improved results, possibly sufficient to keep us up.  The financial calculation this Director needs to make is how much it will cost us to go down in to Division Two, and then God knows where, against doing zilch at this time.  In most business situations a negotiated settlement can be achieved if the parties show willing, but hiding behind an under-performing manager's contract could cost horribly at the turnstiles.

57 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

With the greatest respect BSF your last 7 or 8 posts have been an utter counsel of despair.  Name me another set of fans in the Scottish senior game who would be as resigned as you appear to be regarding the current situation.  It is patently evident that Stevie Farrell is reduced to throwing names and team formations in the air and hoping they somehow gel, never mind the astonishing interview he gave in the wake of the latest defeat.  Absolutely nothing personal, but I would wager decent money that even removing him from the dugout would see an uptick in both performance and squad morale.

So, what to do ?  In the knowledge that apparently one DFC Director has responsibility for football matters we have to hope that this individual recognises the gravity of the current situation and is minded to act.  It has already been mentioned that a senior player could be approached to take the reins for the remaining games and that's certainly an option I would try, because f**k me, we are sliding steadily into Division Two as things stand.  After the dust settles this season everything could then be considered afresh.

I also don't feel that a whole lot of management is needed right now - the squad knows itself inside out and basic organisation, playing people in their positions and a hoped-for increase in morale and commitment could see improved results, possibly sufficient to keep us up.  The financial calculation this Director needs to make is how much it will cost us to go down in to Division Two, and then God knows where, against doing zilch at this time.  In most business situations a negotiated settlement can be achieved if the parties show willing, but hiding behind an under-performing manager's contract could cost horribly at the turnstiles.

Totally agree… on every point. We might be skint but it’s a bad mistake to then sleep walk our way to even bigger problems experienced by Berwick, Brechin and this seasons lambs Cowdenbeath. 

B487A935-6815-458D-A52A-47B054CEE214.jpeg.69d8a20b7e0d9295e6a6e6e9126009da.jpeg

Have we had poorer home form in any other season since we got about 9 points under Jim Fallon in what is now the Championship? That is embarrassing form for anyone, and the manager has nowhere to hide from it.

ETA I've just been through the absolutely brilliant as ever Sons archive. We got 13 home points when we finished bottom of the old second division (tier 3) in 1996-97 and 11 the following season when we finished bottom of the old third division.

That's the kind of company Stevie Farrell is in.

P.S. @microdave you may already be aware, but the archive seems to be using 2 points for a win instead of 3. Very minor issue, of course.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

We don't get to ignore the gravity of our current situation just because we don't like it. Folk don't have to like it. I certainly don't like the results we've been getting. Unfortunately at this point in the season there's no alternative. It's a depressing position to be in and there's no easy fix.

The time for punting Farrell was January. It isn't mid-March. We've gone past the point where we can get Farrell out, get his replacement in and hope there to be an improvement in things. Part of the problem is Farrell. A really big part. His past 2 post match interviews have been little short of ego-driven nonsense. I'd be surprised if the players hadn't stopped playing for him, which isn't a good reflection of the character of our playing squad. I wouldn't be putting much faith in a shower of players who look to have given up some time ago. 

There's a desire from fans for the club to do something. Really to do anything and to be seen to be trying to change things. The board still have to try to make the right decision. The right decision was probably to punt Farrell in January, bring in his replacement and give the new manager a fighting chance of avoiding relegation. At this stage of the season we're far from an attractive proposition. We'll likely need to change managers in the summer. Pulling the trigger now, spending the next 2 weeks trying to attract a new manager and then potentially  having to recruit again in 6 or 7 weeks time just isn't something the board will do. They won't want to pay Farrell compensation before the end of the season when they'll have the chance to review budgets. They won't want to try and recruit right now when we're sitting 9th in League One and looking like good bets for relegation. They won't want to put a caretaker in place until May. None of those are good options.

9 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

East Fife were able to punt Darren Young half way through the season. Are we really that much more skint than they are?

Half way through the season. Thats the point.

Half way through the season? Sacking Farrell and hiring a replacement is an easier decision to make. We can legitimately ne unhappy that the board didnt pull the trigger back in January.

We're not half way through the season.

7 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Half way through the season. Thats the point.

Half way through the season? Sacking Farrell and hiring a replacement is an easier decision to make. We can legitimately ne unhappy that the board didnt pull the trigger back in January.

We're not half way through the season.

That would explain why they're reluctant to do it now, if its because they feel its too late (which it absolutely isn't), but not why we're unable to do it, financially.

Edited by FifeSons

To sum up, Stevie Farrell is on course to lead us to our worst home form in 25 years. He has three home games left against Montrose, Peterhead and Clyde. For reference, he took 1 point from those in the previous home games.

If he wins all three he will beat Paul Martin's relegation season by a point and equal 09-10. Anything short of that and it will be the worst home form since 1997-98 (at best).

We have also only taken 12 points from our last 21 league games. That's 0.57 points per game or 12 from 63 available.

Edited by FifeSons

5 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

That would explain why they're reluctant to do it now, if its because they feel its too late (which it absolutely isn't), but not why we're unable to do it, financially.

We're missing the sponsorship income for a start. We also had the limited capacity games at the turn of the year that will have hit revenue.

Have we had poorer home form in any other season since we got about 9 points under Jim Fallon in what is now the Championship? That is embarrassing form for anyone, and the manager has nowhere to hide from it.
ETA I've just been through the absolutely brilliant as ever Sons archive. We got 13 home points when we finished bottom of the old second division (tier 3) in 1996-97 and 11 the following season when we finished bottom of the old third division.
P.S. [mention=6034]microdave[/mention] you may already be aware, but the archive seems to be using 2 points for a win instead of 3. Very minor issue, of course.
Thanks for letting me know. All fixed now.

1 minute ago, microdave said:
24 minutes ago, FifeSons said:
P.S. [mention=6034]microdave[/mention] you may already be aware, but the archive seems to be using 2 points for a win instead of 3. Very minor issue, of course.

Thanks for letting me know. All fixed now.

That's a tremendous tool on the archive btw, great work.

Really enjoying digging into the stats of just how shite this season ranks, historically.