Sons' sorrow

20 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Who would you want them to appoint? Serious question and I'm not having a go. It's easy to say that we should sack Farrell, but who do we appoint? It's an easier decision in December/January than it is in March when the window has closed and you're left with a small choice of potential appointments and a very limited time in which to recruit.

We don’t need to make a permanent appointment right now, we could ask the assistant or one of the more senior players to give it a bash. We could even ask someone to come in short term to try and save us - I admit this wouldn’t be an attractive prospect to many out of work manager but there must be someone desperate enough to give it a shot and potentially end up with a job out of it. Kevin Harper applied last summer, perhaps he would see it as a good opportunity, he’s just one example.

Everyone can see the direction we are heading in if we just stick with Farrell. It’s got to the point where we need to roll the dice and give quite literally anything a shot.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We don’t need to make a permanent appointment right now, we could ask the assistant or one of the more senior players to give it a bash. We could even ask someone to come in short term to try and save us - I admit this wouldn’t be an attractive prospect to many out of work manager but there must be someone desperate enough to give it a shot and potentially end up with a job out of it. Kevin Harper applied last summer, perhaps he would see it as a good opportunity, he’s just one example.

Everyone can see the direction we are heading in if we just stick with Farrell. It’s got to the point where we need to roll the dice and give quite literally anything a shot.

So Jim Duffy gets the call and is asked to either bag 8th or repeat the play-off antics of last season.

You happy with that?

Not sure why anybody would want to replace Farrell with Frank McKeown, given that he's part of the current problem?

Edited by BallochSonsFan

Duffy got us through the playoffs last season with a poorer team on paper.  He did so dispatching Farrell in the process. I’m not saying we should be getting him back but it’s not even a question who I’d prefer taking us into the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

So Jim Duffy gets the call and is asked to either bag 8th or repeat the play-off antics of last season.

You happy with that?

Not sure why anybody would want to replace Farrell with Frank McKeown, given that he's part of the current problem?

I would absolutely be happy to see Duffy getting a call to try and keep us up, he was able to scrap through the playoffs last season. Would I want him as our permanent manager? No chance.

I’d also rather McKeown than Farrell, he is part of the problem but at this stage i’d rather we tried ANYTHING than stick with Farrell, whether that’s a senior player, current member of staff or an out of work gaffer. It doesn’t have to be a long term solution but why we’d stick with something that hasn’t been working for the best part of 6 months now is completely beyond me.

31 minutes ago, sonsism said:

Duffy got us through the playoffs last season with a poorer team on paper.  He did so dispatching Farrell in the process. I’m not saying we should be getting him back but it’s not even a question who I’d prefer taking us into the playoffs.

Another reason why it was so odd that we thought Farrell looked like a good appointment. His Stranraer team were utter garbage in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

They do. And a consideration they'll be making is whether or not sacking Farrell will make any difference?

Who would you want them to appoint? Serious question and I'm not having a go. It's easy to say that we should sack Farrell, but who do we appoint? It's an easier decision in December/January than it is in March when the window has closed and you're left with a small choice of potential appointments and a very limited time in which to recruit.

We need to be realistic. We'll get to the end of the season and whatever happens will happen. Either we'll stay up or we'll go down. Either way I'd be expecting the board to have a conversation about Farrell's future the day after we know what league we'll be playing in next season. Staying up shouldn't give Farrell any guarantees regarding next season. It's still a financial pressure too. But it's easier to budget for replacing Farrell and to actually recruit him over the summer than it is to make the decision now.

Sticking with Farrell is relegation, I'll take the mystery box in charge for the last 7 games. I don't really agree we won't be attractive to some decent coaches, we're in touching distance of safety and any self respecting coach will back themselves to give this squad a lift. Guys like Kevin Harper have done well with limited squads before, albeit at a lower level. There will be a number of ex-pros looking for a job. We will be less attractive to these guys as a League 2 club.

I say all this in the knowledge our board probably don't know what to look for in a manager but that doesn't change the fact that sticking with failure will bring you failure. 

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

They do. And a consideration they'll be making is whether or not sacking Farrell will make any difference?

We need to be realistic. We'll get to the end of the season and whatever happens will happen. Either we'll stay up or we'll go down. Either way I'd be expecting the board to have a conversation about Farrell's future the day after we know what league we'll be playing in next season. Staying up shouldn't give Farrell any guarantees regarding next season. It's still a financial pressure too. But it's easier to budget for replacing Farrell and to actually recruit him over the summer than it is to make the decision now.

f**k it, I'll do it. 

Edited by Boghead ranter

33 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Sticking with Farrell is relegation, I'll take the mystery box in charge for the last 7 games. I don't really agree we won't be attractive to some decent coaches, we're in touching distance of safety and any self respecting coach will back themselves to give this squad a lift. Guys like Kevin Harper have done well with limited squads before, albeit at a lower level. There will be a number of ex-pros looking for a job. We will be less attractive to these guys as a League 2 club.

I say all this in the knowledge our board probably don't know what to look for in a manager but that doesn't change the fact that sticking with failure will bring you failure. 

So we appoint Kevin Harper and still go down. Another manager search in the summer when he decides he doesnt fancy it?

Fans want the club to do anything because as fans we want to see the club taking action. The club? They'll be worried about doing anything for the sake of it and ending up with the exact same outcome and a bill for their troubles.

Just now, Silverton End said:

Would love to see us take a chance on someone like Andy Graham as manager, instead of some floating jobber.

Taking a chance on Ian Murray, a guy just finishing his playing career worked out ok for us.

What makes Andy Graham any better or worse than Farrell, at least to the end of the season?

1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

What makes Andy Graham any better or worse than Farrell, at least to the end of the season?

Ok, appoint Boghead Ranter then, he's up for it.

Anyone on here would be an upgrade on Farrell, never mind Andy Graham. 😀

7 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

So we appoint Kevin Harper and still go down. Another manager search in the summer when he decides he doesnt fancy it?

Fans want the club to do anything because as fans we want to see the club taking action. The club? They'll be worried about doing anything for the sake of it and ending up with the exact same outcome and a bill for their troubles.

If we’re as skint as you say League 2 would be disastrous for us and we should be avoiding it at all costs.  It doesn’t take a fan to work that out - the club should be well aware of it.

Getting rid of Farrell would not be action “for the sake of it”.  We’ve won 2 games at home all season ffs!

Just now, sonsism said:

If we’re as skint as you say League 2 would be disastrous for us and we should be avoiding it at all costs.  It doesn’t take a fan to work that out - the club should be well aware of it.

Getting rid of Farrell would not be action “for the sake of it”.  We’ve won 2 games at home all season ffs!

At this point in the season that's pretty much what it would be.

Early January? Fine. Enough time to try and recruit somebody who will likely make a difference.

6 weeks before the end of the season? No chance.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

At this point in the season that's pretty much what it would be.

Early January? Fine. Enough time to try and recruit somebody who will likely make a difference.

6 weeks before the end of the season? No chance.

Nonsense