Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

In my view the blackout should only return and streaming discontinued once all (and i mean all) restrictions have been retracted. Until then streaming (domestic and abroad) should be permitted.

There were no restrictions which impinged on fans attending Saturday's game

The streaming has been invaluable on so many levels, but it can never compare to the live experience. 

That was brought home on Saturday when Gregg Wylde let fly from 30 yards - there is simply no way (even with an excellent commentary team) that people viewing his goal remotely could have imagined the shared experience those of us at The Rock felt.  In fact I would go as far as to say that it was possibly the biggest WOW! moment for Sons fans since Froxy's winner at Oswestry.

I have every respect for people who feel that they can't attend in person right now, but for others who can and are beginning to drift away I would encourage you to consider what you may be missing.

10 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I've no idea on the numbers who watch but, and I say this as someone obviously involved with the stream, I totally agree with your post. 

At the start of the season the stream was included in the ST, and that's fair enough given the Covid situation. Some people might not feel comfortable going to games, and there was always the threat of lockdowns and restrictions. 

For next season though I'd imagine (unless Covid changes) that the 3pm blackout will be back and that'll be the end of streaming for most clubs. It's probably hurting our away gates too; if you're an East Fife fan who hasn't seen them win away from home since God knows when are you going to spend the money and time associated with an away day, when you can stream it from home for £12?

I live in Fife and usually don't get to home games much so a season ticket doesn't usually make financial sense or me. For the past two seasons I have bought one precisely because of the streaming. In normal times I see many more away games than home ones which doesn't help DFC much except for my vocal support of the team. These past two seasons I haven't been inside an away ground nor bought an away stream. Continuing of streaming would obviously benefit me - and give the club my season ticket money - but perhaps not home attendances more generally.

I’m in a similar situation to various other people for whom a season ticket wouldn’t make sense were it not for the streaming. I live too far away from Dumbarton to make it to more than the odd home game, but have bought season tickets to access the streaming over the past two seasons. Personally I’d love for that to be able to continue, the club gets my money and I can watch matches I wouldn’t otherwise. 

Perhaps there could be a more expensive “season ticket with streaming” option going forward? This would allow those in my situation to mainly stream, but attend the odd game when possible, but dissuade locals from taking that option. Granted that doesn’t offer any provision for away fans to stream a match and it’s probably less viable to have a higher single match streaming price than the pay at gate price.

Edited by GordyBrow

8 hours ago, the snudge said:

Perhaps if the club sold the season ticket to "abroad" fans with a link to an affiliated VPN perhaps a "sponsor" then this would be a happy medium rather than lose much needed income.

I'd be delighted if we did this and would happily pay a premium. The streams have been a Godsend for me.

Speaking of which, I wonder how much we're charging for the Dundee game? I haven't seen the price anywhere yet.

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

It's illegal to stream for fans abroad?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're proposing - you suggested we flog a season ticket together with a VPN to fans so that those fans can watch the game no matter where they are? Under normal black out rules you can't do that, officially. If you're just suggesting we sell season tickets to fans who are actually abroad then they don't need a VPN. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

They're providing fans the info on how to use a VPN in order to circumvent black out rules?

Tacitly, yes. Take Hibs for example.

image.thumb.png.258b7876f62be300242058d86225d057.png

image.thumb.png.95db212539eb28dd335fc729a9cb000d.png

image.thumb.png.73e30933b1b448a8db1da58dd8f693d6.png

Edited by LeodhasXD

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're proposing - you suggested we flog a season ticket together with a VPN to fans so that those fans can watch the game no matter where they are? Under normal black out rules you can't do that, officially. If you're just suggesting we sell season tickets to fans who are actually abroad then they don't need a VPN. 

It could be coincidental that we choose to have a VPN "sponsor" for streaming games to those "abroad"

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Fair enough, I'd have thought the authorities would have something to say about that.

There's nothing illegal about it. It's just against the terms and conditions agreed with Sky. It is, however, impossible to police. The SPFL oversight is always overstated. The SPFL is the clubs and from my understanding of the generally older and technically naive guys in charge; either noone has their finger on the pulse or if they do they keep quiet because it benefits them, at least relatively.

The TV deals were the main income in a sponsor less SPFL and still now a majority of the prize money, This might seem a mad stance to take by burning your own income source but the reality is the teams with bigger supports will strengthen compared to the smaller teams and especially teams like mine and yours.

A team like Rangers who, credit to them, were miles ahead of everyone on streaming at the beginning of the pandemic probably lose out to TV deals. Tinfoil hat time, when Rangers oppose 10 other Premiership sides to not have fans in the stadium its because they're number one at streaming and the rest will hurt a lot more than they will.

On 18/01/2022 at 15:12, the snudge said:

Perhaps if the club sold the season ticket to "abroad" fans with a link to an affiliated VPN perhaps a "sponsor" then this would be a happy medium rather than lose much needed income.

Cynical, and I presume something that the SPFL would crack down on if everyone was doing it, though I take on Board what Leo is saying about Hibs and Rangers. It's pretty disgraceful if they are getting away with that.

On 18/01/2022 at 18:18, GordyBrow said:

Perhaps there could be a more expensive “season ticket with streaming” option going forward? This would allow those in my situation to mainly stream, but attend the odd game when possible, but dissuade locals from taking that option. Granted that doesn’t offer any provision for away fans to stream a match and it’s probably less viable to have a higher single match streaming price than the pay at gate price.

23 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I'd be delighted if we did this and would happily pay a premium. The streams have been a Godsend for me.

This is not within Dumbarton's remit to offer though. If the pre-pandemic conditions return then you can't do that.

7 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

There's nothing illegal about it. It's just against the terms and conditions agreed with Sky. It is, however, impossible to police. The SPFL oversight is always overstated. The SPFL is the clubs and from my understanding of the generally older and technically naive guys in charge; either noone has their finger on the pulse or if they do they keep quiet because it benefits them, at least relatively.

Do you think you could split that hair any thinner? No, it's not "illegal", nobody's going to jail for it, but it is contrary to SPFL rules and potentially liable to get clubs fined.