Sons' sorrow

Firstly. Good result yesterday! The lads needed it and it will know doubt lift there heads a little going into the next couple of games. 

Thought wylde had a good game! And his goal is as good as any I’ve ever seen at the rock! Big Josh was excellent considering he arrived 24hours prior to the game! He’s strong and good at getting his huge frame between his man and the ball! I seen someone else mention that they thought he became less effective after his booking but I also think that big guys like him usually end up having to be careful as you could see east fifes interest quickly turned to putting 2/3 men on him and trying to get him in the refs eye for even the smallest of things. He’ll no doubt become a lot sharper in the box with games under his belt but he took his header well and made it difficult for Gallagher to get down to Save it! 
Trialist at Centre Half? I’m still not sure who he is!…but he was also great! Again no nonsense and considering he was playing his first game down at the rock in poor conditions and the park cutting up, magnitude of the game etc he was fantastic! Don’t imagine he’ll be taking a big wage so delighted to be bringing him onboard. It provides some much needed competition at centre half. 

noteably want to say that Ross McLean was fantastic along with Duthie and I think Pignatello had his best game in a Dumbarton shirt. He never really puts a foot wrong and you could play him anywhere! I think someone else said it, if you could have 10 of him outfield you’d be laughing. 

Disappointed not to see Wright in goals but I must say Ramsbottom made a few good saves and was as vocal as I’ve heard him in a Dumbarton shirt. He also didn’t have a lot to do in the second half. 

As for East Fife…they are in a sorry state ain’t they? I felt as though they had 4 defenders and 4 attackers and just no one in the middle of the park? Carsy and Paton had it all to themselves and put in pretty solid performances. 

Here’s to a free hit at the weekend against Dundee and hopefully another name or two in the door this week 

12 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Asked Faz about Mark Lamont today by the way. Apparently he left a few months ago after his personal circumstances changed.

So there you are.

Is Wrights injury just a minor thing or is our luck with goalkeepers continuing and he's out for the season?

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Is Wrights injury just a minor thing or is our luck with goalkeepers continuing and he's out for the season?

Hopefully just minor. He felt a twinge and pulled out as soon as he felt it. Faz is hopeful he'll be sorted in a week to 10 days.

The medical people said he did the right thing. Apparently it was something he did at Rangers earlier in the season, played on and then missed five weeks. So thankfully he's learned from that.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

7 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Hopefully just minor. He felt a twinge and pulled out as soon as he felt it. Faz is hopeful he'll be sorted in a week to 10 days.

The medical people said he did the right thing. Apparently it was something he did at Rangers earlier in the season, played on and then missed five weeks. So thankfully he's learned from that.

Here's me thinking he caught a glimpse of the shine from Wylde's gnashers and lost his vision. 

I mentioned this on another thread but I was wondering if anyone else shared my view. 

The streaming platform is fantastic for when games were closed doors. However over the last few weeks I’ve heard “I’ll just watch the stream save me dragging my Arse down to the rock” and from a couple of life long fans I’ve heard it too. 

Now I know people will say season ticket holders have already paid what difference does it make ? But the argument would be your support at the ground in attendance is better than your support at home? You then potentially don’t buy a programme etc 50/50 or drinks before the game. 

and this is the same for a walk in punter too. How many of them decide awk I’ll just buy the stream cause it’s cheaper?, I think it’s cheaper?, and save myself the journey down to sit n watch that ? 

This no doubt has had an effect on our attendances, there’s certainly people I’ve seen sat round me for years that suddenly are choosing to just watch it in the house. 

I don’t know the numbers of how many stream it each week if anyone can shed some light on that ?

11 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

I mentioned this on another thread but I was wondering if anyone else shared my view. 

The streaming platform is fantastic for when games were closed doors. However over the last few weeks I’ve heard “I’ll just watch the stream save me dragging my Arse down to the rock” and from a couple of life long fans I’ve heard it too. 

Now I know people will say season ticket holders have already paid what difference does it make ? But the argument would be your support at the ground in attendance is better than your support at home? You then potentially don’t buy a programme etc 50/50 or drinks before the game. 

and this is the same for a walk in punter too. How many of them decide awk I’ll just buy the stream cause it’s cheaper?, I think it’s cheaper?, and save myself the journey down to sit n watch that ? 

This no doubt has had an effect on our attendances, there’s certainly people I’ve seen sat round me for years that suddenly are choosing to just watch it in the house. 

I don’t know the numbers of how many stream it each week if anyone can shed some light on that ?

I've no idea on the numbers who watch but, and I say this as someone obviously involved with the stream, I totally agree with your post. 

At the start of the season the stream was included in the ST, and that's fair enough given the Covid situation. Some people might not feel comfortable going to games, and there was always the threat of lockdowns and restrictions. 

For next season though I'd imagine (unless Covid changes) that the 3pm blackout will be back and that'll be the end of streaming for most clubs. It's probably hurting our away gates too; if you're an East Fife fan who hasn't seen them win away from home since God knows when are you going to spend the money and time associated with an away day, when you can stream it from home for £12?

This is simply a Covid measure. I’d hope as soon as Covid is no longer in the pandemic stage the 3pm stream blocking rule will return.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

For next season though I'd imagine (unless Covid changes) that the 3pm blackout will be back and that'll be the end of streaming for most clubs. It's probably hurting our away gates too; if you're an East Fife fan who hasn't seen them win away from home since God knows when are you going to spend the money and time associated with an away day, when you can stream it from home for £12?

Which is money gained that we wouldn't normally in this scenario - that East Fife fan not travelling normally wouldn't give us any money, but now we get 12 quid. 

I love having the choice of the stream tbh. I enjoy being at games but the experience has been shit since restrictions started IMO and crucially, the team have been fairly ganting to watch. 

This might be unpopular, but if I didn't have a season ticket right now I wouldn't be going or buying a stream. We've got a clear c**t of an owner, half a board who don't seem to want to engage with what's remaining of the fan base and their only plan is one nobody in the support wants to see them carry out. Am I f**k continuing to hand over cash to that sort of organisation, regardless if its the club I love. It was mentioned previously too, but we shouldn't be handing over any funds to assist the running of the club without gaining shares i.e. managers fund. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Which is money gained that we wouldn't normally in this scenario - that East Fife fan not travelling normally wouldn't give us any money, but now we get 12 quid. 

True. But the stream makes it easier for him not to travel. We've all been in the situation where we swear all week that we're not going to watch another insipid performance. Only to wake up on a Saturday, decide that it's our day, and head off to some distant corner of the country.

I have literally no clue how many people watch the stream, or how big an average away support is. But I'd imagine it is something that possibly costs us more than it makes some weeks. Of course if we were playing like Airdrie or Arbroath then our attendances would be considerably higher too; so the easy availability of the stream, the Covid situation and the shambles on the park that we've been for much of the past 18 months are sort of a perfect cocktail for low attendances. 

1 hour ago, DobbiesAgent said:

On the other hand you will have people paying for a stream who are either unable to attend or who aren’t comfortable attending with the current situation. For someone who works a lot of Saturday’s the stream allows me tune in when I am unable to attend. 

Do you really think the stream is stopping hundreds from attending? I’d argue the absolutely horrendous form is a bigger factor than folk who can’t be arsed attending when they have already paid for a season ticket or would rather pay 3 quid less than what it costs to actually attend the game in person. It’s no coincidence that attendances are higher when the team are performing well.

27 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

On the other hand you will have people paying for a stream who are either unable to attend or who aren’t comfortable attending with the current situation. For someone who works a lot of Saturday’s the stream allows me tune in when I am unable to attend. 

Do you really think the stream is stopping hundreds from attending? I’d argue the absolutely horrendous form is a bigger factor than folk who can’t be arsed attending when they have already paid for a season ticket or would rather pay 3 quid less than what it costs to actually attend the game in person. It’s no coincidence that attendances are higher when the team are performing well.

Nah of course I’m not ignoring the fact that poor performances equals low attendances etc but you’re also putting it on a plate for people to not turn up? 
You know if there’s 100 home fans between season ticket holders and normal punters who would normally pay at the gate that decide nah it’s too cold or don’t fancy that at least this way if it’s poor I’ll just turn it off etc that 100 people in a stadium make a difference 

For example the people that I’ve heard say I can’t be arsed dragging my self down to the rock might only live in the middle of Dumbarton, have been life long attendees at the rock and are now sitting in the house watching the sons 

Saturday was the first time I've used my season ticket! Only my second home game of the season. The other was hospitality. The ST was pretty much a donation to the club this season due to work. Work has changed so hopefully I'll be able to get to more games and bring my daughter.

2 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

I'm guilty of deciding I couldn't be arsed going a few times this year and I have a ST so took advantage of the stream.

I don't live in West Dunbartonshire anymore, and on these days when I never went I would have had to have got a babysitter so I could go.  If we were romping the league and pumping teams, would I have made arrangements and turned up?  Most likely.

Completely get why it probably does make for lower attendances, but personally quite happy that it is an option just now.

I've attended every home game and quite a few away games nearer the start of the season, despite our last few months of pish on the park.

However, there's no way I am doing a 6 hour round trip or even the 2 hours to falkirk to see us get pumped. So if I don't have any other plans I might decide to pay for the away stream.

Attending was never going to happen but streaming provides another option.

On the subject of the stream I see one of the volunteers who runs the stream is looking for an extra pair of hands to help with it. They have described the stream as “a vital source of income for the club” and stressed the importance of having it running for every game.

3 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

This is simply a Covid measure. I’d hope as soon as Covid is no longer in the pandemic stage the 3pm stream blocking rule will return.

The 3pm blocking rule is so easy to get around it’s barely even an issue these days, with a click of a button you can gain access no bother. I’ve been watching streams from away games for years now. If those streams weren’t available I still wouldn’t be attending in person so it’s ultimately a bit of extra cash for those clubs offering it.