Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Shameless self plugging time - Faz talking about his aims to add to the squad before the East Fife game. Clicky.

I’m not sure I fully trust Faz’s recruitment but he’s clearly going nowhere so I’m at least relieved to see him identify those areas as needing strengthened. 

I’m just hoping the striker we sign is an out and out striker. I’m not expecting a prolific goalscorer but the last we need is another winger/midfielder who can cover up front if need be. We are crying out for a talisman ala prime Christian Nade.

2 hours ago, George Parr said:

Feels indicative of the deep malaise we're in that we're happy to just let folk show up and be reasonably confident of not troubling the crowd capacity limit.

Or we'll just do as Elgin did last Saturday and announce the crowd as 499

Can anyone actually name our ‘best XI’ or tell me whether we’re an attacking team or a defensive team?

We had that wee run at the start of the season when I was impressed by MacLean, Wilson, Duthie and to a lesser extent Orsi. 

It went from eye-catching to eye-bleeding in a matter of weeks though. Faz needs to get us playing again and he needs to get the best out of the aforementioned players as well as making a few handy additions.

As others have said, we need a semi-competent keeper, a striker that can actually score a few goals and a centre back that doesn’t gift the opposition goals and fouls - surely that’s not too difficult to find?

Can anyone actually name our ‘best XI’ or tell me whether we’re an attacking team or a defensive team?
We had that wee run at the start of the season when I was impressed by MacLean, Wilson, Duthie and to a lesser extent Orsi. 

It went from eye-catching to eye-bleeding in a matter of weeks though. Faz needs to get us playing again and he needs to get the best out of the aforementioned players as well as making a few handy additions.
As others have said, we need a semi-competent keeper, a striker that can actually score a few goals and a centre back that doesn’t gift the opposition goals and fouls - surely that’s not too difficult to find?

My opinion is that Faz wants press for spells in games and sit in for spells, however these spells of pressure are being limited due to lack of pace and energy in central midfield and full back areas - meaning we’re sitting in too often.

What’s actually happening with Lamont and co? Just not in the frame at all? Cause he says otherwise everyone is fit? So are they being released or are they just not fit for games yet? 

Hopefully going forward we see something like…

New
New, Buchanan, Boyle/New, Wylde
Duthie, Pignateillo, Carswell, McKee/Wilson
McLean, New

I think Boyle’s best position might actually be CB because he reads the game pretty well. Wilson and McKee could drift inside to create space for the overlap (which Wylde seems far more capable of than Boyle and has more quality than Muir). One thing I think it’s important to highlight is how much our full back lack of pace has prevented us playing how Faz wants this season - and if he’s addressed that by moving Pignateillo to RB it’s then created a similar issue in the CDM region. I’m glad he is keen to address it!

This team isn’t perfect and Buchanan I think will never convince me but it would give us a good chance going forward - as long as the signings are actually decent.

On another note do we have to email the club again for tickets for this Saturday? I’ve not seen anything on the OS like there was for the Airdrie game.

Edit: just seen it’s back to turnstiles as usual.

Boyle at CB is something I never thought I’d see. Glad he’s still playing regularly at a decent level though. Geggan too. How have the pair of them been getting on this season?

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Boyle at CB is something I never thought I’d see. Glad he’s still playing regularly at a decent level though. Geggan too. How have the pair of them been getting on this season?

Both of them are absolutely done and should be nowhere near this level unfortunately.

Geggan has been woeful. Very slow, no composure on the ball and he is extremely immature - picking up ridiculous bookings with needless tackles.

Boyle hasn’t been great. Looks very suspect when isolated 1 v 1 due to lack of pace and can’t get and back efficiently enough for a full back. He is not bad when defending in congested areas and his communication is actually the best I’ve heard from our ‘experienced’ players.

Both of them are absolutely done and should be nowhere near this level unfortunately.

Geggan has been woeful. Very slow, no composure on the ball and he is extremely immature - picking up ridiculous bookings with needless tackles.

Boyle hasn’t been great. Looks very suspect when isolated 1 v 1 due to lack of pace and can’t get and back efficiently enough for a full back. He is not bad when defending in congested areas and his communication is actually the best I’ve heard from our ‘experienced’ players.

Boyle certainly looked done back in 2018 when we were last in that league. Geggan was pretty dependable but only at right back. Put him in midfield and you’d get run over the top of. As you say though, Geggan is a complete liability at times either fouls because he’s caught out or because he’s lost the plot.

Maybe Farrell thought with McCall taking Geggan last season that he still had the legs for it but I’m sure McCall admitted that he only took him because he knew how good he was for a dressing room. I love them both, especially Geggan so it’d be sad if to see them forced to retire because they don’t look up to it.

17 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

See I'd probably switch them around. I think Boyle has been more hopeless than Geggan, although I agree both have been struggling and probably should be playing at this level.

I actually wish more players would have the fight that Geggan shows as we have been far too soft at times. He does pick up some needless bookings but that's how he plays and he won't change now.

I hope we punt Boyle and keep Muir as I prefer his raw inexperience to Boyles hopelessness and immobility. He was a decent enough player but his legs have gone and I don't think he reads the game anywhere near well enough to compensate for that.

When he and Edin Lynch were paired together Lynch was comfortably MOTM which Boyle looked the weakest player in our back 4, IMO.

Watching the Falkirk highlight, Eden Lynch was directly responsible for 3 of what must be up there with some of the most ridiculous goals I've seen us give away.

Goals 1, 2 and 6

Goal 1 wasn't as bad as the other 2, but it was still horrendous defending and left his man free for a tap in.

13 minutes ago, super-son said:

Watching the Falkirk highlight, Eden Lynch was directly responsible for 3 of what must be up there with some of the most ridiculous goals I've seen us give away.

Goals 1, 2 and 6

Goal 1 wasn't as bad as the other 2, but it was still horrendous defending and left his man free for a tap in.

Goal 1 when Ross McLean let's his man run off him while he tries to play offside and when good movement from Dowds makes the space?  

Goal 1 when Ross McLean let's his man run off him while he tries to play offside and when good movement from Dowds makes the space?  
Like I said, 1 wasn't as bad but he still let his man nip infront of him too easily and got his positioning all wrong