Sons' sorrow

32 minutes ago, OKsons2020 said:

Said it at the start of the season farrell talks a good game but can't deliver.  Broken promises  off the park  and its apparent he carries that in his footballing profession too. 

Duffy ball 0-0 doesn't seem such a bad thing now . 

Is there anyone available to replace him thats rhe question . 

Duffy

No point in speculating about who is going to replace Faz. He won't walk away (who would really) and we won't sack him as that costs money. We will drag this out to the end of the season where there will probably be an amicable parting of the ways, unless he's on a 2 year deal then we will suffer for another season! 

No point in speculating about who is going to replace Faz. He won't walk away (who would really) and we won't sack him as that costs money. We will drag this out to the end of the season where there will probably be an amicable parting of the ways, unless he's on a 2 year deal then we will suffer for another season! 

He is on a two year deal but that's irrelevant when it comes to sacking him. Lower league managers won't have their contract paid up, it'll be about three months pay. Whether we've got that is anyone's guess.

1 minute ago, microdave said:
4 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

He is on a two year deal but that's irrelevant when it comes to sacking him. Lower league managers won't have their contract paid up, it'll be about three months pay. Whether we've got that is anyone's guess.

Correct. The cost of sacking him and surviving will pale in comparison to relegation. The 2 year deal doesn’t mean a thing, if he isn’t punted it is purely down to incompetence on the part of the board.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Correct. The cost of sacking him and surviving will pale in comparison to relegation. The 2 year deal doesn’t mean a thing, if he isn’t punted it is purely down to incompetence on the part of the board.

Our board......incompetence. surely not in the same sentence? 

7 minutes ago, microdave said:
34 minutes ago, George Parr said:
We remain fortunate that East Fife are trash. Big game next weekend.

I don't think it is. We'll both go down regardless of which way round we finish in the bottom two.

In fairness I’ve not seen any of the League 2 sides in action this season so would struggle to comment on our chances in a playoff. What I will say is that the ‘quality’ of opponent last season was absolutely fucking rancid.

In my opinion the club is now entering an existential crisis.  On the pitch we have a management team which is struggling badly with a patchwork squad which is patently shot through morale-wise and in some cases physically.  There are so many deficiencies a couple of stop-gap signings will do little to stop us finishing in the bottom two, and even if we enter a play-off it would be a brave soul who would expect us to stay up.  Relegation risks taking us into the territory of Cowden, Albion Rovers, Brechin and East Stirling, whilst the Lowland League would likely finish us.

And there is no easy out ball.  Stevie Farrell is on a two-year deal and anything involving money is a  problem at DFC.  Keep him and we limp out of the season, sack him and who can you hire ?  Unfortunately we have an active club Board of only three Directors, with one of them detailed to deal with football matters.  Good luck with that.  And then there are the owners; the word fantasist doesn't begin to cover it (I speak from experience).  But dangerous with it. 

Dumbarton FC is now in its 150th year - it's a damned shame that such an auspicious anniversary coincides with one of its most miserable seasons.

I was probably in a very small minority that didn’t get the optimism when Farrell was appointed. His record at Stranraer was pretty uninspiring and his side looked even worse than Duffy’s ragtag bunch last season.

If the club has any intention of staying up, he must go now. However, it’s probably already too late to give anyone a decent crack at the January window.

Out of interest did we ever hear anything from the new chairman after he was appointed? I may well have missed it but I can’t seem to find even a single quote from him. 

I’ve said it before but as shite as our owners are, they don’t take money from the club and they don’t appear to meddle with footballing matters. They most definitely hinder us but we managed many years in the Championship with similarly shite owners. Given some of our signings this season and the fact they are on two year deals it would appear Farrell was well backed in the summer in terms of budget. We should be expecting far better than what we’re currently being served up on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Out of interest did we ever hear anything from the new chairman after he was appointed? I may well have missed it but I can’t seem to find even a single quote from him. 

I’ve said it before but as shite as our owners are, they don’t take money from the club and they don’t appear to meddle with footballing matters. They most definitely hinder us but we managed many years in the Championship with similarly shite owners. Given some of our signings this season and the fact they are on two year deals it would appear Farrell was well backed in the summer in terms of budget. We should be expecting far better than what we’re currently being served up on the pitch.

How do you know this?

2 minutes ago, Third Son from the Rock said:

How do you know this?

Recent financial reports said debt had been wiped and given the current playing squad vs income I’d be astounded if they were syphoning money from the club to line their pockets. 

I’d like to think someone would have spoken up by now if that was the case.

Agree with what’s been said about the ownership being dreadful, but also agree with BBPF that we should still be better than this. This current side would be right down at the bottom end of L2. I’m sorry, but I refuse to believe that’s the best we can do, even with the ownership situation.

This team is poor, but also seem like they’ve stopped playing for the manager. Very similar to the end of Aitken’s reign - remember the Raith game at home, anyone?