Sons' sorrow

When Farrell was appointed, I said on here I wasn't sharing the universal optimism surrounding it. However, I've seen a few calls on social media for him to go, which is ridiculous. We can't seriously be talking about getting rid of him at this stage.

Things are pretty grim at the moment, though, both on and off the park.

Edited by FifeSons

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

When Farrell was appointed, I said on here I wasn't sharing the universal optimism surrounding it. However, I've seen a few calls for him to go on social media, which is ridiculous. We can't seriously be talking about getting rid of him at this stage.

Social media. Some of the people who use it need professional help.

I think we need to do some business in January. Rangers B team is absolutely pissing it in the Lowland League. Some of those kids would potentially be good enough for a step up to League One. Half a season playing Lowland and then stepping up for half a season in League One would be good for their development. As a minimum we need a centre half and a striker. I'd like to see Sam Muir getting another couple of games at left back because I'm just not seeing it at all with Paddy Boyle.

20 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

While I agree squad needs boosting. I’m not sure where the finances will come from with the off the field stuff

We have a decent squad, Farrell is not using it correctly.

Our current squad had us near the top of the league, on an unbeaten run and playing some decent football and scoring goals, then indiscipline, some bizarre team selections, like leaving half decent younger players benched, finds us where we are now.

Give me Sam Muir ahead of Boyle & Duthie ahead of Geggan/McKee any day.

Edited by Silverton End

27 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

While I agree squad needs boosting. I’m not sure where the finances will come from with the off the field stuff

Need to hope that a couple of loan deals could be done cheaply. If Hopkirk is taking time away from football then I'd like to think that he's not taking a wage from us.

57 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

We have a decent squad, Farrell is not using it correctly.

Our current squad had us near the top of the league, on an unbeaten run and playing some decent football and scoring goals, then indiscipline, some bizarre team selections, like leaving half decent younger players benched, finds us where we are now.

Give me Sam Muir ahead of Boyle & Duthie ahead of Geggan/McKee any day.

I don’t disagree with comment above but   Our current performances make the start of season look like a fluke.

whils I thought your Ryan was our best player at no stage did he look like scoring.

1 hour ago, cedrick1 said:

I don’t disagree with comment above but   Our current performances make the start of season look like a fluke.

whils I thought your Ryan was our best player at no stage did he look like scoring.

Schiavone & Orsi put in good shifts today with virtually nothing to work with, they chased everything.

5 games unbeaten earlier in the season, playing decent attacking football with the correct team selection isn't a fluke imo.

We have so many players who are so badly out of form just now it’s hard to come up with a starting 11 that looks good enough to win a game. Getting Geggan and Carswell as far away from the starting 11 as possible would be a good start but unfortunately Carswell is pretty much guaranteed a game cause we have no other options, and even when we do Farrell rarely chooses to drop him. I’d probably chuck wee Wilson in but he’s hardly been great himself recently. I actually think he’s lost a bit of the swagger he had at the start of the season which would suggest confidence is low. One guy who is frustrating the life out of me is Ross MacLean - a good player on his day but he’s contributed nothing other than bookings, red cards and arguing with fans for a while now. 

Mclean seems to be a bit of a marked man these days. He's not getting the benefit of the doubt from referees and some of the shoves or shirt pulls on him aren't being called by officials. I think that if you take those out of his game then you diminish what he gives you. If there's less of a chance of him winning free kicks in dangerous areas or of defenders maybe being unwilling to dive into a tackle with him then he isn't as effective. I like Orsi's work rate but he needs better service than he's been getting. I don't think that our midfield is creative enough and McKee isnt really giving us the spark that we need him to. You're certainly not going to get creativity from a central midfield duo of Paton and Geggan or Carswell when we get McGeever back into defence. The 2 fullbacks arent really pushing on and giving us much of a threat from wide. We're sitting very deep rather than pressing high up the pitch - maybe where we'd be better with Carswell and Carlo in midfield? Paton and Geggan sit really deep and you end up with nobody from midfield supporting our efforts going forward.

Is there much we can do with the current squad? I wouldn't be against Muir and Lynch playing the 2 fullback roles to see if they can give us something. Get Carlo back into the centre of midfield to give us a bit more movement in there. I also wouldn't be against Stokes starting a game. Duthie and Wilson too, with Orsi up front. A wee reminder for McLean and McKee that they need to earn their jersey might not be a bad thing. 

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Pissing it so much in the past few games they've lost to such esteemed clubs as *checks notes * Cumbernauld Colts and Dalbeattie Star

They had about 7 or 8 players away on under 21  and under 19 duty. 

13 wins in 18 games and a +34 goal difference from an under 20 team against men. So aye, they're pretty much pissing it. Bonnyrigg deservingly ahead of them and always likely to be given that they'll fancy themselves as candidates for promotion to League Two. Spartans have played 2 extra games and are only 2 points ahead in 2nd.

Edited by BallochSonsFan