Sons' sorrow

24 minutes ago, microdave said:

After a promising start, we now find ourselves just four points off the bottom.

From what I've seen we're better than those below us despite that shitshow today. There's no doubt we need to go a few weeks with as full a squad to choose from as possible, and Faz needs to make the right calls when he has a full squad. We're making silly errors every game and sadly the biggest culprit has no competition, so those in front of him are even more important. Work to do. 

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

From what I've seen we're better than those below us despite that shitshow today. There's no doubt we need to go a few weeks with as full a squad to choose from as possible, and Faz needs to make the right calls when he has a full squad. We're making silly errors every game and sadly the biggest culprit has no competition, so those in front of him are even more important. Work to do. 

I do agree with everything you say there. Hopefully we maybe don't get punished for the silly mistakes like we have recently and with four of the next six being at the Rock, I'm hopeful that we can arrest the recent slide in results. And of course, we have the Excelsior three back next week.

Everybody fit and available and we make more of a fight of it. Last week was just a mad freak occurrence and today was the consequence of that. Not to say that there aren't some troubling signs. Even when we've got everybody fit then we still make mistakes at the back and lack a proper goalscorer. Buchanan and McGeever don't look as solid as some pairings we've had in recent years. Boyle doesnt fill me with any confidence at left back. The keeper is still good for at least 1 really good save and 1 horrific mistake every game. Sometimes the mistake costs us as it did last week. It would be good if we could bring in a striker from somewhere and a centre half on loan. Days like today where we've gone with a mad formation because we don't have a single available centre half shouldn't happen if we've got a better balanced squad. If Hopkirk needs time away from football and the gaffer isnt going to be getting any use out of Stokes then that's 2 wages we could probably put to better use to try and sort out the imbalance.

11 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Everybody fit and available and we make more of a fight of it. Last week was just a mad freak occurrence and today was the consequence of that. Not to say that there aren't some troubling signs. Even when we've got everybody fit then we still make mistakes at the back and lack a proper goalscorer. Buchanan and McGeever don't look as solid as some pairings we've had in recent years. Boyle doesnt fill me with any confidence at left back. The keeper is still good for at least 1 really good save and 1 horrific mistake every game. Sometimes the mistake costs us as it did last week. It would be good if we could bring in a striker from somewhere and a centre half on loan. Days like today where we've gone with a mad formation because we don't have a single available centre half shouldn't happen if we've got a better balanced squad. If Hopkirk needs time away from football and the gaffer isnt going to be getting any use out of Stokes then that's 2 wages we could probably put to better use to try and sort out the imbalance.

I think this gets it pretty much spot on.

No doubt there will be some heads gone on the FB group now, calling for the manager to go.

Shambles again today.    Back to Duffy ball, big punts up the park to nowhere or no-one but opposition.  Wilson looked lost In the play ground chasing shadows.  Ramsbottom again making stupid runs of his line when he's towing a caravan.  

Farrel has  to start Orsi  and Stokes next week and give them a chance . 

Wilson can come sit in the stand and get a cuddle off his mum and stay warm ! 

Edited by OKsons2020

5 minutes ago, OKsons2020 said:

Wilson can come sit in the stand and get a cuddle off his mum and stay warm ! 

I think Wilson needs a short spell out of the team but you’d do well to remember that this is a young lad who has just turned 18 and is competing in his first season a first team footballer. Patter like that is bang out of order, cut him some slack. A young guy like that needs managed properly and we need to reign in our expectations a bit and accept that whilst he’s still learning he will go through spells of poor form. 

I think the boy has done very well to not only bag himself a contract but also an extension and a league wide player of the month award. 

46 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think Wilson needs a short spell out of the team but you’d do well to remember that this is a young lad who has just turned 18 and is competing in his first season a first team footballer. Patter like that is bang out of order, cut him some slack. A young guy like that needs managed properly and we need to reign in our expectations a bit and accept that whilst he’s still learning he will go through spells of poor form. 

I think the boy has done very well to not only bag himself a contract but also an extension and a league wide player of the month award. 

I'll concede the latter , and agree he needs a rest from starting .  Still a long season ahead and time to develop .  He's played his part in previous matches  and has plenty more to come . 

2 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

Maybe we need to see the wins at Montrose and Falkirk as unexpected bonuses on the evidence of what's happened since.  We have too many problem positions to avoid again being in a relegation fight, and it's hard to watch.

I actually think we just don't have any depth in the squad and 1 or 2 absences kill us (never mind 4 or more key players). It is clear we have defensive frailties but I think if we have every player fit we can compete with most teams in our league. It doesn't help having the first choice 'keeper we have either.

In saying that, we seem to have too many off days. Football is a funny game though... if we can avoid defeat in the next couple of games confidence will hopefully rise again and we can get going again. Trying to stay positive here 🙄

Being of a certain age I can wholly concur with the posts above regarding the late John Hosie and his son Colin.  It is one of the more disturbing facets of the current situation at DFC that Andy Hosie, a man possessing seemingly little of the passion, understanding and perceived business integrity of his relations, is nevertheless trading heavily on the family name and its historic connection with the club.
There is also for me real disappointment in the wider sense.  There was, and still possibly is, the chance that comes say once every 150 years for towns like Dumbarton to create something special in such a historic and impressive location.  The Rock, floodlit from a football ground with daytime visitor facilities, the walkway along the River Leven connecting the town centre with the peninsula, all with landscaped surrounds.
That would obviously have required funding but even more importantly vision.  Vision on the part of the ownership and Board of Directors of DFC; vision on the part of the agency responsible for Dumbarton Rock; vision on the part of West Dunbartonshire Council, local economic agencies and local parliamentary representatives. 
The starting point for all of it would be some sort of Strategy Document and indeed one was created a few years back by a former DFC Board member, but unfortunately it failed to gain any traction in the Boardroom.  A Boardroom that has for far too long operated more on the basis of a private members golf club than a professional football club.  And when you lack a culture of dynamism you can become seduced by strangers bearing exotic ideas.  QED.
We have a cash-strapped local authority probably itching to have yet more houses bumping up against the Rock - they generate council tax so who can blame them ?  And yet you wonder.  How did the Falkirk area manage to generate the Falkirk Wheel and the Kelpies with their nearby faclities ?  How have Clydebank FC managed to revamp Holm Park in Yoker ?  Because people with ideas, vision and commitment worked very, very hard to achieve results.
In the case of the Bankies they learned from a bitter experience, and it's one that Dumbarton FC currently risks following.  When guys like the two Associate Directors resign, a warning alarm sounds.  The club stands at a crucial juncture under ownership which is intent on marching down a dead end for a second time.  It's what happens then that is the worry.

Did Clydebank not manage to develop Holm Park because they received assistance from West Dunbartonshire Council?

10 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Did Clydebank not manage to develop Holm Park because they received assistance from West Dunbartonshire Council?

Absolutely they did, because they presented a coherent business and social plan and engaged over a considerable period with WDC.

But the redevelopment of Holm Park is a project, whereas my comments on WDC vis-a-vis the Rock site is a more strategic and far-reaching multi-agency exercise.

The Clydebank success is also proof, if any were needed, of how committed local input to provincial football clubs is much more beneficial than remote ownership peddling fantasy and driven solely by a desire to make money.