Sons' sorrow

I am still amazed by what I watched yesterday, that refs decisions were mind blowing.

BUT

I do wonder if the manager and team need to have a word with each other.

By all accounts at Peterhead the team seemed to chuck it after the second goal due to the weather and yesterday we should have been able to change our approach to the game after realising how quick the ref was with flashing a card. Credit to , I think the assistant manager, for pulling everyone away from the ref at the end of the game. We could have had more sent off.

We have a group of fairly experienced players that should be able to screw the nut and dig deep.

We shouldn’t be hitting the panic button but  we should be looking at performances.

After a decent start the defence seems really shaky and the GK kick outs were terrible yesterday. 

I think yesterday will galvanise the team a bit. We  equalised twice, the 2nd time in the most difficult of circumstances with 8 men. If that kind of battling performance doesnt galvanise the squad then there's something wrong. I can't fault the players at all yesterday. Buchanan gave away a daft penalty. Beyond that they were absolutely right to criticise the ref, and I normally have little sympathy for bookings for dissent.

The big problem is that we'll be short 3 players and that I'd expect the SFA/SPFL to have a go at us for failing to control our players during the match. I'd hope that we fight it all the way because Lambie was genuinely deranged yesterday with those decisions. And the magic "lets play stoppage time until Airdrie score".

9 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I think yesterday will galvanise the team a bit. We  equalised twice, the 2nd time in the most difficult of circumstances with 8 men. If that kind of battling performance doesnt galvanise the squad then there's something wrong. I can't fault the players at all yesterday. Buchanan gave away a daft penalty. Beyond that they were absolutely right to criticise the ref, and I normally have little sympathy for bookings for dissent.

The big problem is that we'll be short 3 players and that I'd expect the SFA/SPFL to have a go at us for failing to control our players during the match. I'd hope that we fight it all the way because Lambie was genuinely deranged yesterday with those decisions. And the magic "lets play stoppage time until Airdrie score".

The refereeing was abysmal but that wasn't the reason for Airdrie's winner.  That was down to a goalkeeping error plain and simple, unfortunately a recurring feature.

If you doubt this, check the reaction on the highlights of Paul Paton who thought he had just saved us a point. 

4 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

The refereeing was abysmal but that wasn't the reason for Airdrie's winner.  That was down to a goalkeeping error plain and simple, unfortunately a recurring feature.

If you doubt this, check the reaction on the highlights of Paul Paton who thought he had just saved us a point. 

Ramsbottom’s flap at that corner was absolutely disgusting. He had a complete shocker yesterday and there were another 2 occasions where he was left completely marooned outside his box with the goal gaping. He looked determined to cost us a goal the entire game.

8 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

8 men against 11 and mystery injury time. Goalkeeper error for sure, but not one I'd be overly critical of given the way that game happened yesterday.

He does that 11 v 11 in an evenly contested game? Sure. Deserves criticism.

Yesterday? It happens. We don't have 3 men sent off and that game winner might not happen. Keeper could have done better for sure, but its not one he deserves to be hammered for on a day that was absolutely bonkers.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Ramsbottom’s flap at that corner was absolutely disgusting. He had a complete shocker yesterday and there were another 2 occasions where he was left completely marooned outside his box with the goal gaping. He looked determined to cost us a goal the entire game.

He also made a few very useful saves.

It was a mixed bag. He's good for at least 1 mistake per game. and it's luck if that doesnt cost us. I don't rate him as a particularly good keeper. We had enough chances in the first half to put the game out of sight.  He's not a great keeper, but  I wouldn;t be critical of any Sons player yesterday. Not the game for it with everything that went on. Just need to write that off as the most bizarre thing most of us will ever see in a football ground.

Sam's at fault for the winner. No doubt. But I also don't think we concede that goal with McGeever and Buchanan on the park. Having no recognised centre-backs against an Airdrie side with five (?) strikers attacking the ball was always going to be a mismatch.

Some of the Facebookers are stating that some sort of refund should be given by the SPFL. Looking back on it, the only refund being dished out should be from the players and manager to the fans for lack of control. 

The ref was shite but that yesterday was down to very experienced players losing the plot. 

If McGeever is humped it'll be Carswell and Lynch at centre back next week. Which doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. I thought Pignatiello looked much better at right back on Saturday though, offered a threat down that side. 

Do think Faz needs to figure out the midfield though, Paton is a starter and so should McKee be, but we can't be using McKee wide, he's too good at threading passes to be out there expected to beat a man and get balls in. Wilson should be given as much game time as possible but will need protected at times. It's fitting them into a good shape where we have bother, starting to wonder if a 433 suits us best.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

If McGeever is humped it'll be Carswell and Lynch at centre back next week. Which doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. I thought Pignatiello looked much better at right back on Saturday though, offered a threat down that side. 

Do think Faz needs to figure out the midfield though, Paton is a starter and so should McKee be, but we can't be using McKee wide, he's too good at threading passes to be out there expected to beat a man and get balls in. Wilson should be given as much game time as possible but will need protected at times. It's fitting them into a good shape where we have bother, starting to wonder if a 433 suits us best.

The really annoying thing about yesterday, and by Jesus there were many, was that when football broke out we played better and created more chances than we have done for weeks.

I still hope McGeever makes it for Saturday but I'm not dismayed that Bucky and Geggan will be absent.  We will basically be down to a starting eleven and a couple of subs but we should still be able to compete.

Something that was lost in yesterday's mayhem was that young Schiavone put in a very decent shift despite a buffeting which the ref almost totally ignored.

8 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Yeah I can't think why a game with 7 or 8 bookings, 3 red cards, 6 substitutions, a penalty that took an age to take due to MacLean's refusal to leave the pitch, wild goal celebrations that took a while to settle and Ramsbottom wasting time with every goal-kick he eventually shanked out would have much added time. What's the difference between the yellow cards your team got for dissent yesterday and the ones you normally have little sympathy for? 

Yeah I can't think why a game with 7 or 8 bookings, 3 red cards, 6 substitutions, a penalty that took an age to take due to MacLean's refusal to leave the pitch, wild goal celebrations that took a while to settle and Ramsbottom wasting time with every goal-kick he eventually shanked out would have much added time. What's the difference between the yellow cards your team got for dissent yesterday and the ones you normally have little sympathy for? 

The ref didn’t even warn Ramsbottom for time wasting. He booked him straight off and after that their was little time wasting from him. Unlike at the Rock where your keeper started time wasting in the first half. Six minutes is highly unusual in any game unless there is a lengthy stoppage for injury