Sons' sorrow

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It doesn't tie with any kits I can see on Historical Kits. Thermal K-Shield was the sponsor of the first team in 86-87 but it was made by Umbro, not Matsudo. You could be right that it's a cheap remake of the actual kit made for a Supporters team, in any case it's not worth 3 ton. A '79 Umbro kit I would maybe fork out that sort of dough.

Happily sell you mine for £350

8 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Last night was an odd one. For the first 25 minutes or so we looked totally disinterested, let the Rangers children play through us and looked like we'd be in for a bit of a hiding in all honesty. Faz was furious about the lack of a press in that spell.

After that we came into things and were on top, we created some decent chances - and then missed them, Rangers were pretty clinical when chances came their way. Albeit Callum Erskine did make an absolutely terrific save.

Then wee Callum Wilson came on and totally changed the game in our favour. He was ripping the piss out of the Rangers right-back, his touch was gorgeous and he was whipping some great balls into the area. His free-kick set up the first, his mazy run set up the second. He needs to start on Saturday imo.

I'm not reading too much into the result or the performance; but a few key points jumped out. 

Negatively we are conceding far too many goals, and are looking iffy. Erskine was at fault for the second, but was totally exposed for the other two. We can't keep going two/three goals down in a game and expect to take something.

Two positives jumped out though; firstly that's the second game in a row where Faz has made changes and they've had an impact. Wilson setting up two goals, Stokes getting a goal (he looked tidy when he came on) and big Norway almost equalising but for a sensational Leon King block.

The second is that we're creating chances. Yes we're a bit open at the back, but chances are flowing at a rate we didn't see under Duffy after his first season. We need to be more clinical, but we have some decent attacking options and always look a threat - which is a nice change.

Delighted to see the majority of fans stay away, Just 259 folk at the Rock - a record low attendance for a competitive, open door home game at the stadium. It looks like there isn't the appetite for Colt Teams after all...who knew.

How did the lad Schiavone look when he came on ?

56 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

How did the lad Schiavone look when he came on ?

I didn't notice him a great deal, but he looked alright. He's quite a big lad and looks like a striker (e.g not like a winger or a #10 type player). He seemed to spend a decent amount of time in and around the box, which is a bit of a change from Orsi and Norway running the channels.

I've really no idea how he'll do based on his showing. But we did score twice with him on the park - which has to be a good sign?

7 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'm against colt teams. I'd be happy to see the club refuse to play colts teams and forfeit any game in this cup where we're drawn against them. That said, if we were to get to a semi final against a colt side then would anybody want us to forfeit the chance of making a cup final just to prove a point? Similarly from a football fan viewpoint I don't like our ground being used by a colt team but from a financial one there's no doubt that the club would be crazy to refuse money for the use of the ground. There's no nice solution here. The only thing we can do as fans is not attend games like last night and hope that they're few and far between.

Agree with this. Not interested in them at all. 

I'm against colt teams. I'd be happy to see the club refuse to play colts teams and forfeit any game in this cup where we're drawn against them. That said, if we were to get to a semi final against a colt side then would anybody want us to forfeit the chance of making a cup final just to prove a point? Similarly from a football fan viewpoint I don't like our ground being used by a colt team but from a financial one there's no doubt that the club would be crazy to refuse money for the use of the ground. There's no nice solution here. The only thing we can do as fans is not attend games like last night and hope that they're few and far between.

It would be interesting to see what the league would do if an spfl side withdrew from the cup. I’m sure they said before that it wouldn’t be allowed under league rules. But now they have allowed B teams to withdraw is that a precedent they’d have to follow?

Well that was an unwelcome reality check today, and whilst we expected Queens Park to be a decent side, the manner of the defeat was quite concerning.  Maybe it was indeed just a 'bad day at the office' but for the second league game in a row we were frequently second-best in midfield and attack, with our opponents appearing to simply 'want it' more than we did as they won almost all of the physical battles.

A passing game can be a joy to behold but it relies on the ability to win possession and then retain it, neither of which we managed today.  Liam Brown, very good player that he is, and Grant Gillespie dominated the midfield and provided the foundation for Queens win.  We  lack(ed) balance and just never got going, with the full-backs selection backfiring badly and Joe McKee looking very reticent throughout.  So what top do ?  

I'd restore Lynch and Muir - they gives us pace up the flanks.  Further forward we need to get the midfield grafting harder and replacing the sterile sideways or backwards pass by driving towards the opposition, whilst up front we need much more forward movement.  Orsi and Hopkirk look too similar and I'd consider starting Schiavone foir the latter, whilst swapping Carsy with Paton or Stokes might be worth a go.  And of course there is Calum Wilson who can run at opponents, whilst Geggan looks a better bet in midfield than full-back. 

From the outside it looks like a case of getting the team balance and the commitment levels right.

Probably to late for this season but what are peoples thoughts on a season ticket for the car park. Could have a car sticker made up or something. I know it’s “first world problems” but finding £3 to park is a pain in the arse.

1 hour ago, Sons Fan said:

Probably to late for this season but what are peoples thoughts on a season ticket for the car park. Could have a car sticker made up or something. I know it’s “first world problems” but finding £3 to park is a pain in the arse.

Nae chance I’d be paying that when you can park for free on Castle Road/Victoria Street/Castlegreen St. Do they charge that to fans who have a blue badge?

13 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Nae chance I’d be paying that when you can park for free on Castle Road/Victoria Street/Castlegreen St. Do they charge that to fans who have a blue badge?

Tbh it’s not the money, I am fine for the club/ sons trust to get it plus the 50/50, I just hate lifting cash. Not sure about blue badges.,

18 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Tbh it’s not the money, I am fine for the club/ sons trust to get it plus the 50/50, I just hate lifting cash. Not sure about blue badges.,

Aye, we are definitely lagging behind with the lack of card facilities at the stadium, especially at the turnstiles. Having to lift cash is a pain in the farter.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aye, we are definitely lagging behind with the lack of card facilities at the stadium, especially at the turnstiles. Having to lift cash is a pain in the farter.

Exact opposite to our support who moan constantly about no cash gate and having to go online to get an e ticket, which actually works great...

39 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Having electronic admission didn’t work too well at Kirkcaldy last night

Being able to accept cash as well as card payments at the turnstile is different from having a fully electronic entrance system. Given that we can’t even sort out card payments we’re at least 50 years away from having non manually operated turnstiles.

Being able to accept cash as well as card payments at the turnstile is different from having a fully electronic entrance system. Given that we can’t even sort out card payments we’re at least 50 years away from having non manually operated turnstiles.

True. But the problem at Kirkcaldy was caused by iffy wi fi. That would affect card payment too