Sons' sorrow

20 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

You would think that with a massive club like Rangers helping out with the pitch that some sort of arrangement could reached to keep the pitch watered as required. 

Well yes, but those who agreed to this ground share on a pitch which has had problems for years will have to take responsibility for any further deterioration should it happen.  Dumbarton Rock's post also highlights what an absolutely basic spec of a facility was built down there - you can bet the new owners will use that to their advantage.

Dumbarton has big water tank that feeds the whole stadium including toilets and kitchen. When I was watering it you could only use two sprinklers, anymore empties the tank and it automatically shuts down. In weather like this I never switched the sprinklers off, moved them about the pitch every 3 or 4 hours with the last move normally about 10 at night and just let it go through the night. Then repeat the next morning. It was a baw buster but it was the only way. I've heard there is a problem with the pump but waiting this length of time to address it seems strange. I was lucky as I stay at the top of the road, wouldn't fancy doing it from West Kilbride.
Buster, I was always lead to believe that greenkeepers didn't water the grass when the sun was shining; that it would result in the grass being burned. Instead they'd water early morning and in the evening. Have I picked that up wrong all these years?[emoji848]

That's an absolute disgrace. I mean no disrespect to our current groundsman, but I don't see why we're paying anyone to work the pitch if that's the results. After dumping about 90 tonnes of sand on it last year we appear to have just given up altogether. Shambles.

23 hours ago, Dumbarton Rock said:

Dumbarton has big water tank that feeds the whole stadium including toilets and kitchen. When I was watering it you could only use two sprinklers, anymore empties the tank and it automatically shuts down. In weather like this I never switched the sprinklers off, moved them about the pitch every 3 or 4 hours with the last move normally about 10 at night and just let it go through the night. Then repeat the next morning. It was a baw buster but it was the only way. I've heard there is a problem with the pump but waiting this length of time to address it seems strange. I was lucky as I stay at the top of the road, wouldn't fancy doing it from West Kilbride.

Can we not just run a big hose from the Leven?

It doesn't burn it m8. Cutting it too short and not watering it burns it.

Buster, I was always lead to believe that greenkeepers didn't water the grass when the sun was shining; that it would result in the grass being burned. Instead they'd water early morning and in the evening. Have I picked that up wrong all these years?[emoji848]

5 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

E7Zukt0X0BIkkAS?format=jpg&name=large

Lifted from Twitter. Think we're going to need to look the green paint out...

That is embarrassing. The Tontine is in better nick. Renton Craigandro are always out maintaining that. What's going on?

The pitch needs urgent work. Doubt theres scope to replace the worst sections with new turf. It would cost a fair bit and would take time to bed in. That looks like a park that's had absolutely no maintenance over the summer and that's been allowed to pretty much die off between a combination of a load of sand to get games played earlier in the season and no work done following the end of the season, particularly during the recent hot weather. 

Genuine question - would a referee consider that pitch to be unplayable?  If its that bad now then god help us over the winter. 

12 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

The pitch needs urgent work. Doubt theres scope to replace the worst sections with new turf. It would cost a fair bit and would take time to bed in. That looks like a park that's had absolutely no maintenance over the summer and that's been allowed to pretty much die off between a combination of a load of sand to get games played earlier in the season and no work done following the end of the season, particularly during the recent hot weather. 

Genuine question - would a referee consider that pitch to be unplayable?  If its that bad now then god help us over the winter. 

Maybe we'll become possibly the first club in Scottish League history to have the opening home fixtures in two consecutive full league seasons postponed due to an unplayable pitch.  Still, goal celebration music....

22 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I don’t think the pitch needs a hell of a lot of investment, it just requires someone committed enough to restore it back to what it was before the new guy took it on. The difference between that and now is night and day. 

There are obviously drainage issues during bad weather but to let it get in that state during good weather is absolutely criminal and I think it’s about time we looked to find someone who is willing to put in the work required to maintain it to an acceptable standard. Those pictures are absolutely embarassing, the local public parks are in better nick than that. 

I know I keep harping on about it but if part of our deal with Rangers is that they provide staff to help tend to the pitch then I think we also need to be having words with them. Thank christ we don’t have a game on it this weekend, it would be like playing football on a fucking links golf course. 

Edited to add: I can’t imagine the manager will be best please with the state of the pitch. Early indications are that he’s looking to keep the ball on the deck and play actual football this season, that will prove difficult on the Old Course.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

I don’t think the pitch needs a hell of a lot of investment, it just requires someone committed enough to restore it back to what it was before the new guy took it on. The difference between that and now is night and day. 
There are obviously drainage issues during bad weather but to let it get in that state during good weather is absolutely criminal and I think it’s about time we looked to find someone who is willing to put in the work required to maintain it to an acceptable standard. Those pictures are absolutely embarassing, the local public parks are in better nick than that. 
I know I keep harping on about it but if part of our deal with Rangers is that they provide staff to help tend to the pitch then I think we also need to be having words with them. Thank christ we don’t have a game on it this weekend, it would be like playing football on a fucking links golf course. 
Edited to add: I can’t imagine the manager will be best please with the state of the pitch. Early indications are that he’s looking to keep the ball on the deck and play actual football this season, that will prove difficult on the Old Course.
I said to myself I wasn't going to post this but it hurts me seeing that park. I was committed and ready for the new season last August. I had prepared it during the summer on my own as Ally had been let go. I had agreed in March to go to half wages as the club were struggling. They also told me I'd get Ally back for the start of the season. When when it came to the time I needed him back I was informed I was to do it myself and they were in talks with BSC Glasgow to groundshare, if that failed Celtic YD would be coming with a minimum 13 games over the winter. So my scenario was, at least double the work and I was to do it myself for the same money. Plus I've been telling them for years the equipment for maintaining the park isn't fit for purpose which was making the job even harder. Didn't leave me with much of an option as I knew I didn't have the extra hours in the day that would be needed to maintain it to a good standard.
I got called a disgruntled ex employee on here last year but kept my mouth shut. I take no pleasure in seeing the park like that as I burst a gut over there for many a year trying to keep it playable. Hopefully with a bit of help from the weather and some TLC he turns it around. Apologies for rant [emoji106][emoji106]