Sons' sorrow

Agree we're looking light at left back. I think Muir has potential to do well but it is a gamble to count on him. He needs a learning curve similar to Rico to be ready for League 1.

It was an encouraging start to the squad build and I do think we've solid options in most areas but you could trim 2 or 3 from this squad and spend it on 1 player which would improve the squad, rather than having 2 or 3 jobbers. I get some signings in the last week have been forced upon us and the likelihood is the amateur lads don't hang around very long but it's been a bit of a disappointing end to the build.

If you're going with a 4-2-3-1 and play with a physical striker then you need a physical striker to fill in when the main one is out. Hopkirk will do a different job to Orsi up there and tbh I don't think Syvertsen will do a job there at all, it's clear he needs to face defenders up and have a go at them rather than play with his back to goal. If Orsi is unavailable I worry a bit. I'd probably rather we started Duthie up front than Syvertsen or Hopkirk tbh.

I think its likely that some players may be loaned out at some point.Just now I think they are there to add cover as they will probably be on expenses only.I reckon we will add to the squad probably loan players once the SPL teams sort their squads out for the season.

Just read the latest online regarding the Sweeney/Hosie nonsense. My favourite quote is probably this:

“Andrew has a degree from Cambridge University, 10 years experience at Procter and Gamble, the world’s biggest marketing company, five years experience as a commercial director of Everton Football Club and 15 years sports marketing with other clubs - plus he has never taken 1p from Dumbarton and will work for nothing.

“Yes he has a high profile business failure but in my experience he is 100 percent honourable.”

Can somebody advise Henning to lay off the Aquavit?

I think its likely that some players may be loaned out at some point.Just now I think they are there to add cover as they will probably be on expenses only.I reckon we will add to the squad probably loan players once the SPL teams sort their squads out for the season.

Think the spl teams sorted their squads eight years ago

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Just read the latest online regarding the Sweeney/Hosie nonsense. My favourite quote is probably this:

“Andrew has a degree from Cambridge University, 10 years experience at Procter and Gamble, the world’s biggest marketing company, five years experience as a commercial director of Everton Football Club and 15 years sports marketing with other clubs - plus he has never taken 1p from Dumbarton and will work for nothing.

“Yes he has a high profile business failure but in my experience he is 100 percent honourable.”

Can somebody advise Henning to lay off the Aquavit?

I think the following takes some beating. "Substantially less" being a euphemism for hee-haw. 

"Sweeney believes that the sale of the club by Brabco was illegal, however Hosie still owns the shares in Granada that Sweeney has security over - with these now worth substantially less with Brabco no longer owning the club."

Hosie has cut him in on a deal he obviously thinks he'll make a lot of money from. It's not surprising to hear him talk highly of him. I just hope his lawyer is correct as that is all that will matter.

Edited by The Moonster

12 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say we may struggle for goals again this season.

I’m not so sure. I think Faz might be working on the principle that if we have players who can get the ball into the box (I think he’s signed plenty of those) then by the law of averages we’ll score some of these chances regardless of who those chances fall to.

2 hours ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

I’m not so sure. I think Faz might be working on the principle that if we have players who can get the ball into the box (I think he’s signed plenty of those) then by the law of averages we’ll score some of these chances regardless of who those chances fall to.

I’m not buying that, I think Faz has either struggled to sign out and out strikers and is being daft by convincing himself the likes of Syvertson can play there or he’s waiting on a loan signing to fill the void. I certainly don’t think the current situation is deliberate but if he decides to just go with what we have just now we will struggle to score goals, even the guy we do have who can play there isn’t exactly a natural or known for his goal scoring prowess.

To me the squad looks imbalanced, we have far too many midfielders, we have 3 veteran central midfielders who do the exact same job and we have a plethora of wingers/attack minded midfielders. Unless we bring 1 quality striker in at the very least I think all this chat of looking up and promotion playoffs could look a bit daft. If big Orsi gets injured we genuinely have no one to replace him - Hopkirk or Syrvertson aren’t viable options for a team who are apparently looking to be finishing in the top half of the league.

Our starting 11 has a good balance to it I think. If we can keep everyone fit then we'll do okay. If we get any injuries in midfield we'll be okay. Any injuries in defence or up front and we are looking thin. Still time for Faz to remedy that but a squad any bigger than we've got now looks far too big for a part time League 1 side. It proves the imbalance of the squad that even with what I imagine will be one of the biggest squads in the league we're still not fully covered in every position. 

26 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

In the unlikely event that everyone is fit at once, how would everyone's ideal starting lineup look?

I’d probably go with the following…

13F5528E-8A36-4E5D-A40F-13BA5944955F.jpeg.5fa7255c152e9393fcb37a4537dfcd45.jpeg

That team pretty much picks itself bar MacLean/Duthie, I’ve been quite impressed with what I’ve seen from Duthie so far so I’d be tempted to start him over MacLean. Boyle and Paton obviously haven’t featured much at all during pre season but if they are both up to scratch fitness wise then they are starters for me. Geggan looks a bit off the pace so I’d have Carswell starting over him for the time being.

I remember Mark Lamont having the best delivery (in my opinion) I have seen at Dumbarton and being decent with both feet. But that was 8/9 years ago. I can't actually believe he is only 28 and younger than I am! 😂

Edited by squeezeboxson