Sons' sorrow

I'm surprised he's found time to extract himself out of Lord McFalls arsehole to write about the Sons.

Anyway....New signing, seems like squad filler I don't remember anyone mentioning a stand out performance from this new player?

3 minutes ago, TAFKAC said:

Did Farrell say there was someone he worked with previously joining the club? Evan Maley was at Stranraer. Funnily enough, his one appearance was right at the end of Stranraer v Dumbarton in 2016.

He did. But the player in question was on honeymoon at the time - and Maley played as a trialist that day.

I'm assuming that deal has fallen through or something because it's been almost two weeks and we still have no idea who it was!

Maley looked fine in pre-season. Not as good as Wilson, but I'd imagine he'll do okay if we need to call upon him tomorrow. Good chance for him to impress and try and win a move somewhere permanently too.

5 minutes ago, TAFKAC said:

Did Farrell say there was someone he worked with previously joining the club? Evan Maley was at Stranraer. Funnily enough, his one appearance was right at the end of Stranraer v Dumbarton in 2016.

I’d be surprised if this is who he was referring to. He’s only signed an amateur deal and by the sounds of things he’s only really been brought in to boost numbers after our covid issues.

I think Maley MIGHT have been still at Stranraer when Farrell came in. His appearance would have come under Brian Reid though and I think Maley went away out on loan. I'm not saying that this was the target Farrell was referring to, just highlighting the connection.

Little anecdote about the "Dumbarton Democrat"

I lived abroad ( for many years) and came across the Dumbarton Democrat on the net. I observed it carried a lot of news about the OF but nothing about the Sons. I contacted the editor as an exiled Son of the Rock and asked him for coverage of DFC and said I could look at the Daily Record if I wanted to know who had broken wind at Ibrox or Parkhead,

His reply was that it was not in his commercial interest to 

1 cover the Sons and

2 reduce slavish reporting of the OF.

So much for local democracy!!

I'd fear for most full-backs coming up against Dom Thomas. But I really fear for ours today at 16 and 19. Hopefully Dom doesn't rip the confidence right out of them like he did to most defenders during his time with us.

25 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'd fear for most full-backs coming up against Dom Thomas. But I really fear for ours today at 16 and 19. Hopefully Dom doesn't rip the confidence right out of them like he did to most defenders during his time with us.

I see that's going well... 😒 can't tune in today as back out gigging (first one back!!)

Kinda glad now to be honest.

41 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

I see that's going well... 😒 can't tune in today as back out gigging (first one back!!)

Kinda glad now to be honest.

Full backs not really to blame for me. Both young guys who've never played this level of opponent before. McGeever and Buchanan on the other hand are both experienced and have not been near their men at all. Sam should do better with the first but both centre halves been poor picking up men and organising the backline. 

We've actually used the ball well though and both full backs have done well going forward. Clear as day Syvertsen/Hopkirk are not strikers and prefer to float wide and cut inside, really need someone other than Orsi signed up. 

25 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

As a general question, does anyone know the current Covid/injury status of our squad ?  We seem to have a number of players who have disappeared from view - Boyle, Paton, McKee, Orsi, and probably some others I've forgotten about.

Carlo, McKee, Orsi and Lynch are all self isolating. But will be back Tuesday (assuming they are fit and healthy after Covid).

Geggan wasn't risked today. Paton and Boyle will hopefully be back for the Clyde game according to Faz. 

I think Faz’s post match comments are extremely harsh tbh. He’s bemoaning the fact we lost four goals from cross balls whilst we’re being forced to operate with two full backs who have a combined age of 34 and neither of whom have competed at a level anywhere near what we’re playing at. The centre backs may not have covered themselves in glory but I think the players deserve some slack. The authorities, who wont allow us to play trialists, and have forced us into signing amateurs to complete fixtures in this shitey cup deserve the slating. 

2 hours ago, the snudge said:

I wouldn't have been too sad if we had completely forfeited this competition and just played friendlies. It offers nothing for us at the moment. 

Competely agree. This cup is a total waste of time.

On 14/07/2021 at 08:25, BallochSonsFan said:

The new version of the story just gets messier and messier.

Essentially:

- Andy Hosie took Andrew Sweeney for £2million in the Bet Butler shambles.

- Sweeney is alleging that Hosie made some kind of promise to the effect that Sweeney would get £2million and that this was the value of Hosie's 28% of Brabco.

- Hosie got round this by setting up a new company, transferring Barbco's ownership of Dumbarton to the newco and then selling the newco to the Norwegians.

It still doesnt sound particularly true given that 28% of Babco was never going to be worth £2mil. That values Brabco at about £7.1million.  I can well believe that Stainton, Wilson and the others thought that they'd be making that kind of money from the deal eventually but theres no way that Brabco was worth that given the massive risk and uncertainty around Youngs Farm. If Hosie did have a 28% stake in Brabco then again it's Brabco who own any assets and not Andy Hosie. Hosie could promise Sweeney his shares in Brabco. He could promise him any share of profits that would be payable on the ultimate completion of Youngs Farm. He couldn't grant any kind of security or other legal control over Brabco assets without the agreement of the Brabco directors. Stainton and Wilson would never have agreed to that. And even if Hosie did own 28% of Brabcos shares, the other shareholders could vote against him by simple majority.

Mmm, whilst that's true, there are a large number of things in a limited company that can be blocked by a shareholder with over 25% of the shares. Appreciate Brabco were not UK based and there may be individual shareholder agreements in place to amend the default positions anyway but it's perfectly conceivable that the sale of a majority of the company or its trading assets to a new owner could be blocked by someone with 28%.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

With the move to Level 0 today, sporting events outdoors can have up to 2,000 spectators. I assume that means we can just let everybody in when the league starts? No distancing required outdoors essentially, so I assume this is the end of daft entry times and mask wearing outside.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

With the move to Level 0 today, sporting events outdoors can have up to 2,000 spectators. I assume that means we can just let everybody in when the league starts? No distancing required outdoors essentially, so I assume this is the end of daft entry times and mask wearing outside.

Yes.............. if you move your stadium to England.

If you plan on leaving it where it is then no, not currently. You can have up to 2,000 supporters in Scotland but 1m social distancing is still required inside a Scottish football ground till at least August 9th. Which will clearly limit Dumbarton's capacity to something like one quarter of the stand capacity whatever that is (500ish?). Mask wearing is still theoretically required. Whether anyone will actively enforce it is another question but probably depends how zealous your safety officer is. I expect socially distanced entry times will remain till August 9th too.