Sons' sorrow

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

We've beaten Motherwell 1-0 with a goal from Hopkirk. 

Just to add to this. It was a really enjoyable game to watch and we probably merited the victory. Motherwell had quite a few trialists playing, and switched their team at half-time, but still had a strong side out. And we matched them all over the park.

I've been really reassured by Buchannan and McGeever's partnership. Bucky looks exactly the same player who left us back in 2017, and I'm really enjoying watching him and Ryan lead from the back. They are both very vocal and seem to working well together.

Edin Lynch is definitely rough round the edges, but he looks like he has plenty of potential. I definitely get the Shaun Rooney likeness. He sort of bashes his way to the byline and pulls balls across goal. I think he could be a good find. David Wilson played at left-back and was one of our best players. Based on his two showings, and the fact I can't see him being too expensive, I'd be chucking him a deal.

Joe McKee was back today and has barely trained. But was pulling the strings in midfield and pinged a couple of dead balls right onto Ryan McGeever's big napper. Things you love to see. Alongside him Andy Geggan looked far better than he did on Tuesday evening too and Ross Maclean looks like the sort of natural winger we've been lacking since Bobby Barr left.

The final word goes to Conner Duthie though. I sang his praises on Tuesday evening, but my goodness does he look a new player. He's big and strong, but rapid, skilful and incredibly direct. He looks a totally new player. His surging run to set up the goal was different class. He just breezed beyond Robbie Crawford before pulling back a perfect delivery for Hoppy to stab in. 

I was sceptical when we gave him a new deal. But fair play. Faz obviously knew the potential he had.

Full report is below:

Edited by Jan Vojáček

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That’s wild for a plain off the shelf effort. If they put a bit of effort into the kits folk would probably stump up the cash but I think they’ll be hard pushed to shift many of this season’s tops at 45 quid a pop.

It's just over a 50 percent mark up on the off the shelf shirt from the joma catalogue. Add in embroidery of the badge per shirt probably brings that down to a 45 percent mark up. I'd pay it for a bespoke effort but not one that's not even in club colours.

Edited by the snudge

Unfortunately the price of the strip is the way the game is just now. The folk that want to buy it will, those who aren't fussed won't. Knocking a fiver or even a tenner off the price probably isn't going to shift enough extra strips to make up the shortfall.

Teams will price the kits and other clobber at whatever price the punters will pay. I seen on social media this week rangers fans up in arms at the price and design of their training gear, won't stop them forking out a small fortune for it though.

I referee for my sins and to buy the official SFA badged kit would be around £55 (for the top) I can get the exact same kit without the badge for £12.99 online and buy a sew on/iron on badge for £3.50. Football pricing at all levels is not going to get any cheaper regardless of how much we moan.

Guest Peter LaFleur
13 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I see a bit of speculation on the Falkirk thread about whether they are about to sign Jaime Wilson; it would be quite interesting if he lines up against us this coming season and Jones does likewise for Clyde.

Do you have anything positive you can tell us about Wilson? For his age his experience and stats are quite simply appalling. Looks a very poor signing on paper but sometimes that doesn't tell the full story. Could you see him doing well for us?

9 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Do you have anything positive you can tell us about Wilson? For his age his experience and stats are quite simply appalling. Looks a very poor signing on paper but sometimes that doesn't tell the full story. Could you see him doing well for us?

Wilson scored 7 goals in all competitions last year. 4 in league, 2 against Huntly in the Scottish Cup and 1 against Stranraer in the play offs. With 3 against Irvine Meadow yesterday, all of the available evidence suggests he'd be a great signing for a Highland/Lowland league team, with League 2 being somewhere he might do well. He does have a decent finish on him but his all round game isn't good enough for full time football. If he's not sat without a club when his trial finishes I'll be surprised, and I think he'll regret knocking back the offer Faz put on the table for him. 

Guest Peter LaFleur
15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Wilson scored 7 goals in all competitions last year. 4 in league, 2 against Huntly in the Scottish Cup and 1 against Stranraer in the play offs. With 3 against Irvine Meadow yesterday, all of the available evidence suggests he'd be a great signing for a Highland/Lowland league team, with League 2 being somewhere he might do well. He does have a decent finish on him but his all round game isn't good enough for full time football. If he's not sat without a club when his trial finishes I'll be surprised, and I think he'll regret knocking back the offer Faz put on the table for him. 

Sounds grim, thanks x

Wilson is a confidence player. If you play him through the middle and give him some service then he'll score goals. If you start punting him wide or expect him to chase lost causes all game then he'll struggle. He's not a player I'd consider for a full time club. League Two? Sure. Even League One is probably a stretch given the likely ultra competitive league we'll have this season.

As happens every few months seemingly, Froxy has a new club. Omonia Sports People's Association, May 29th. Who appear to play in the Cypriot C Division.

That's now club number five since he left us, and the 13th of his career. He made more appearances for us than any other side. If anyone can name someone with more cult-hero credentials then I'd be fascinated to hear it.

A few wondergoals, including one that took us to a cup final, a few international caps (including one literally hours before a cup final) and then vanishing back into a bizarre nomadic career. Wonderful stuff in every sense.

It's also his birthday today. 

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Aw the best Frox, still think this is the best he scored for us.

imageproxy (1).gif

When that went in , I was so stunned that I simply stood up and shouted "What a fucking goal!"  The best goal I've ever seen in the flesh.