Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

It’s weird how highly other clubs seem to rate our, not terrible, but very average squad from last season.

I do feel that players like Frizzell should be capable of more and if he was managed properly can be a good option at this level. But I'm also not bothered in the slightest at him leaving because we should easily be able to fine a replacement and hopefully one who plays to their full abilities more consistently. 

15 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It is odd. Duffy seemed to get a fair amount of credit for "making the most out of what he had" - but we're now seeing a decent chunk of the squad signing (or going on trial) with clubs who will have ambitions of challenging for the league.

Three members of last season's back four have signed for League 1 clubs, as has one attacker with another apparently going on trial with at least a League 1 side.

Two of the midfield however have dropped to League 2 with the rest currently nowhere - that tells us everything about where the main problems lay.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Three members of last season's back four have signed for League 1 clubs, as has one attacker with another apparently going on trial with at least a League 1 side.

Two of the midfield however have dropped to League 2 with the rest currently nowhere - that tells us everything about where the main problems lay.

Forbes and Wedderburn might have dropped into League Two. But it's not as if they have been picked up by Albion Rovers or Cowdenbeath in July. They were signed very early in the window by a team with ambitions of winning the league. 

Worth mentioning that Tam Brindley has been given a new deal by Kilmarnock too and Nick McAllister has obviously moved to Ayr United.

Granted Jones and Langan are still free agents (as are Church and JBH who barely featured) but other managers clearly rated members of our underperforming squad from last season, and back them to improve on what we were served up last year.

Fwiw I'm not blaming Duffy here completely. Nor am I blaming the players solely. More highlighting that last year the management team underperformed every bit as much as the players.

5 minutes ago, optimistic said:

I wonder if faz, has said something to make them think it’s time to move, or are our contract offers a bit piddly? emoji848.png

It could be a number of reasons. Perhaps Faz offered them a deal based on what he thinks they are worth which wouldn’t be a great deal if he had them watched them at any point during the season, as much as we were better than Stranraer in the playoffs there wasn’t a great deal in it. Maybe they had a bit of loyalty to the previous manager and felt like the time was right to move on (some of them were long gone by the time Faz was appointed). Neill, Wardrop, Frizzell and Quitongo have all gone to teams who will be paying more than us and Wilson has opted to choose a trial with a full-time club which will ultimately be a better wage if he’s successful. I’ve no idea the length of their contracts, apart from Neill who has signed a ridiculous 3 year deal at Cove, but that could’ve also played a part.

Personally I’m not overly disappointed to see the back of anyone from last seasons squad. I’d probably have kept Wardrop, one of the centre backs and Wilson as backup but none of them are irreplaceable. Of the loanees I’d have loved McAllister to stay but he got a far better offer and I’d have kept Wallace as backup. With a change of ownership, change of manager and us seemingly have ambitions above the relegation playoffs I’m not surprised (or disappointed) to see 95% of last seasons players leave the club.

58 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Forbes and Wedderburn might have dropped into League Two. But it's not as if they have been picked up by Albion Rovers or Cowdenbeath in July. They were signed very early in the window by a team with ambitions of winning the league. 

Worth mentioning that Tam Brindley has been given a new deal by Kilmarnock too and Nick McAllister has obviously moved to Ayr United.

Granted Jones and Langan are still free agents (as are Church and JBH who barely featured) but other managers clearly rated members of our underperforming squad from last season, and back them to improve on what we were served up last year.

Fwiw I'm not blaming Duffy here completely. Nor am I blaming the players solely. More highlighting that last year the management team underperformed every bit as much as the players.

Hmmm......

Stenny will quickly come to realise the pace limitations of their new midfielders.  Caveat emptor.

Brindley has probably been retained as 1) Killie are now in the Championship, 2) There is likely to be a huge cutback in the higher earners at that club.

McAllister is one of very few of last season's squad I'd have been very keen to sign, but I'm not surprised he had better offers. 

Whatever way you cut it, last season was painful viewing but it's my understanding that Jim Duffy wasn't provided with the budget in full which had been earmarked, so things need to be considered in that context.  More importantly, I really hope Stevie Farrell has struck a hard bargain funds-wise.

26 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Jim Duffy wasn't provided with the budget in full which had been earmarked

Jim Duffy had the option to use an extra 5k that’s sitting in a pot in the form of the managers fund and he didn’t bother his arse. That would’ve involved him having to put a bit of work in and actually finding a player that could improve the squad. This isn’t hearsay either, it was publicly confirmed by the treasurer of said fund. 

I’d be very surprised if Stevie Farrell doesn’t excercise his option to use it.

58 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Jim Duffy had the option to use an extra 5k that’s sitting in a pot in the form of the managers fund and he didn’t bother his arse. That would’ve involved him having to put a bit of work in and actually finding a player that could improve the squad. This isn’t hearsay either, it was publicly confirmed by the treasurer of said fund. 

I’d be very surprised if Stevie Farrell doesn’t excercise his option to use it.

I was thinking about that fund during the week. Thinking that we could've had used it to make sure the pitch was kept in better condition, since it wasn't being used on any player(s). Especially since the pitch has been loosely blamed on a couple of occasions for our style of play this season.

3 hours ago, optimistic said:

I wonder if faz, has said something to make them think it’s time to move, or are our contract offers a bit piddly? emoji848.png

He probably offered them what they are worth, but other clubs are overrating them a bit and are overpaying.

For instance, Morgyn Neill is a solid L1 centre half, but he’s not worth the vastly better (3 year!!) contract he’s on.

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Absolutely loving that.  PITK has been sorely missed these last three seasons.

Could be argued both ways though. Patience is needed to build a squad of the required level. But being too "patient" at all levels (including giving JD all the time he wanted to mull things over) caused us many of our problems and we ended up scrambling around to finish the squad off and make sure we had options on the bench.

Definitely sounds like Faz is motivated to get things done in a timely fashion, but also aware that rushing into signings can land you in lots of trouble (see DFC 2020/2021). The new gaffer's approach is getting better and better, at least from the outside looking in anyway.

1 hour ago, sonsism said:

Faz is certainly saying all the right things at the moment.  Good to hear more are on the way and he isn’t resorting to signing players for the sake of it. 

It’s certainly an interview filled with optimism in comparison with previous few transfer windows. The belief that a The gaffer knows who his next targets are, he’s signing players that want to come to the sons....that compared to dancing around exit trials signing players who have exhausted every other possible avenue before trying their hand at exits taking any club going. They aren’t players who are motivated to play for your club. 

On the signing front, particularly strikers anyone got any targets in mind? 

I see Greig Spence was released after his loan at East fife came to an end at the end of the season? Worth a punt? I’d say so imo 

6 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

On the signing front, particularly strikers anyone got any targets in mind? 

I see Greig Spence was released after his loan at East fife came to an end at the end of the season? Worth a punt? I’d say so imo 

Greig Spence isn't very good. He's scored about 4 goals in the last 4 years. I'd rather have kept Wilson I think. Unsure who we'll be after, absolutely none of the names we've signed so far could've been predicted. Which I'm enjoying.

11 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Signings today? Any gossip from the fish counter?

The article the other day suggested it would be later this week before deals could be signed, hopefully over the last few days Faz has reached more agreements though.