Sons' sorrow

Without access to in depth medicals and a scouting network then these things happen with regards to Johnstone and Loy. It's always a risk. Hopefully we get in a few loans. If not, it's going to be a really tough slog in league 2 next season

8 hours ago, the snudge said:

Without access to in depth medicals and a scouting network then these things happen with regards to Johnstone and Loy. It's always a risk. Hopefully we get in a few loans. If not, it's going to be a really tough slog in league 2 next season

To be fair, Johnstone's injury problems were well documented and he admits himself he was about to retire before Duffy phoned him. It was a poor signing IMO.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

To be fair, Johnstone's injury problems were well documented and he admits himself he was about to retire before Duffy phoned him. It was a poor signing IMO.

Given that Jones hadn’t exactly been impressive last season and Wilson was a complete unknow, it’s absolutely baffling that Duffy pretty much pinned all our hopes on Johnstone being good enough. Fair enough if he had been signed as a gamble for backup but he was clearly signed to be the main man, which is fairly wild given his record over the last few years.

55 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I spoke to Jim on Friday for this week's Lennox, and he was already targeting a couple of squad additions then. One of them might be a goalkeeper too...

Clicky

So since our last game we’ve lost/released 5 and signed 1 (who’s currently injured). Duffy saying he hopes to add “a couple” before things kick off again is only slightly concerning. 

So the new keeper's injured :lol:

What a fucking laugh this season has been. That article is so infuriatingly Duffy as well (no slight on you Jan). Says he's relishing getting back to it, acknowledges we've got a ridiculous schedule to complete, confirms that without even kicking a ball we have two players injured then completely underplays the number of players we will actually need to service all of the aforementioned issues. Dressing up Frizzell and Church as "new" signings brought in through January is also a bit of a stretch. 

A squad of 16 is not enough when you're potentially playing 3 games a week. Duffy must know this, so why does he say the stuff he says? 

Reckon Calum Ferrie could be on his way to you. Dundee link, was highly rated, played regular at League 2 level, made a few appearances for us this season but now firmly 3rd choice (when he should probably be 2nd).

Edited by Ludo*1

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Reckon Calum Ferrie could be on his way to you. Dundee link, was highly rated, played regular at League 2 level, made a few appearances for us this season but now firmly 3rd choice (when he should probably be 2nd).

I think we're all hoping the keeper will be Kevin Dabrowski but Ferrie looks a decent option. Similar to Dabrowski in that they've both done well at a lower level recently. 

End of this season then, regardless of what happens in the league, I think we should be shaking Jim's hand and wishing him all the best for the future. Squad building and management has been absolutely awful during his time with the club. It was the right time to punt Aitken. He'd clearly lost the plot and wasn't turning things around. Duffy came in and did a job but it's been frustrating to watch.

Fresh star next season regardless of whether we're in League One or League Two. I don't want to watch another Jim Duffy transfer window.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

I think we're all hoping the keeper will be Kevin Dabrowski but Ferrie looks a decent option. Similar to Dabrowski in that they've both done well at a lower level recently. 
Getting a reliable keeper in would be most welcome. But that will still leave a huge task in addressing what we have in front of the back four. And to think that folk used to slag Colin Nish and Mark Gilhaney.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:
2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Getting a reliable keeper in would be most welcome. But that will still leave a huge task in addressing what we have in front of the back four. And to think that folk used to slag Colin Nish and Mark Gilhaney.

I'd give both of my bollocks to have those players or their ilk back at the club, Gilhaney especially. He's exactly what we need right now. 

With what we've got at the moment, what would everyone reckon would be our strongest lineup?

Smith

Wardrop McGeever Neill Quitongo

McCluskey Carswell Wedderburn Crossan

Frizzell Wilson

Would be how things would like for me. Which, on paper, is decent enough all things considered. But we have next to no strength in depth at all, very few other options in an attacking sense and really need a keeper of the Dabrowski/Ferrie ilk. Add in to that the fact that Crossan now has barely kicked a ball for a year and McCluskey, Wardrop and Rico have all spent a chunk of time out injured and there are clearly a few potential issues on the horizon.

If Duffy can add a keeper, winger (or two), striker and maybe a back up defender who can play on the right then that would make a huge difference. A ball-playing midfielder in the McKee mould would be lovely too...If the Lowland League can't restart then we could be doing worse than battering on Baz Ferguson's door for Michael Tidser on loan (akin to the deal Thistle have done for Andy Geggan from BSC).

35 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

End of this season then, regardless of what happens in the league, I think we should be shaking Jim's hand and wishing him all the best for the future. Squad building and management has been absolutely awful during his time with the club. It was the right time to punt Aitken. He'd clearly lost the plot and wasn't turning things around. Duffy came in and did a job but it's been frustrating to watch.

Fresh star next season regardless of whether we're in League One or League Two. I don't want to watch another Jim Duffy transfer window.

Amen.

With what we've got at the moment, what would everyone reckon would be our strongest lineup?

Smith

Frizzell Wilson

Would be how things would like for me. Which, on paper, is decent enough all things considered. But we have next to no strength in depth at all, very few other options in an attacking sense and really need a keeper of the Dabrowski/Ferrie ilk. Add in to that the fact that Crossan now has barely kicked a ball for a year and McCluskey, Wardrop and Rico have all spent a chunk of time out injured and there are clearly a few potential issues on the horizon.
If Duffy can add a keeper, winger (or two), striker and maybe a back up defender who can play on the right then that would make a huge difference. A ball-playing midfielder in the McKee mould would be lovely too...If the Lowland League can't restart then we could be doing worse than battering on Baz Ferguson's door for Michael Tidser on loan (akin to the deal Thistle have done for Andy Geggan from BSC).
As the citizens of Laconia once observed, the key word is 'if'.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Smith

Frizzell Wilson

Sam and Rico doing a lot of heavy lifting in that team.

4 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
50 minutes ago, The Moonster said:
Looks like the fixtures are just picking up where they left off, Airdrie at home next Saturday then. Finger out, Duffy. 

So what exactly is happening ? I see the fixtures but nothing on the club website. How many games are there in this season - 18, 22, what ??

Aye, I’m totally lost here. Has it been announced what’s actually happening and when our first game is?

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

So what exactly is happening ? I see the fixtures but nothing on the club website. How many games are there in this season - 18, 22, what ??

Nothing announced yet but rumours appear to be 22 games. 18 played then 5/5 split, then play-offs. Which seems daft to me but we'll see.