Sons' sorrow

43 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Is there any chance of Saturday being on? Looks like its got frozen pitch written all over it.

The temperature will barely get above zero before saturday and given that ground is already solid I’d be massively surprised if this one goes ahead. We’ve already played the tinpot switch card so that wont be happening. 

I know it’s probably too late now given the forecast but does anyone know if we have pitch covers?

I don't see Saturday happening.

Pitch was wet on Boxing Day. It's barely been above freezing since and that's forecast to continue. I don't see how we get the ground thawed for Saturday. Even if we did, it would be an absolute quagmire. Always a risk at this time of year, but another postponement won't do much for my creeping apathy towards this season. Absolutely no momentum at all and it's really taking its toll. 

17 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The temperature will barely get above zero before saturday and given that ground is already solid I’d be massively surprised if this one goes ahead. We’ve already played the tinpot switch card so that wont be happening. 

I know it’s probably too late now given the forecast but does anyone know if we have pitch covers?

I genuinely have the fear we might not play any of the upcoming home games. Five on the spin (Airdrie, Scottish Cup, Forfar, Peterhead and the rearranged EF game) is a lot for any pitch at this time of the year, but given ours was struggling in October with one game played on it I'm not feeling at all optimistic for the whole of January.

Get the oil drums looked out.

walsall-v-rochdale-efl-sky-bet-league-1-

I genuinely have the fear we might not play any of the upcoming home games. Five on the spin (Airdrie, Scottish Cup, Forfar, Peterhead and the rearranged EF game) is a lot for any pitch at this time of the year, but given ours was struggling in October with one game played on it I'm not feeling at all optimistic for the whole of January.
Get the oil drums looked out.
walsall-v-rochdale-efl-sky-bet-league-1-shutterstock-editorial-10081220a.jpg&key=10fcdb2bf73f7e9b994e8fb89fdb56aa809a00f4b6903e76fa15e80245fe0c19
The pitch wasn't struggling in October, if the vertidrain had been done at the right time both those games would have went ahead. The pitch actually looks really good for this time of year, partly because of the lack of games it's had. As soon as it thaws get the vertidrain on it again and with a wee bit of luck with the weather it will be fine. Ps there is covers there but you can't leave them down for a week, plus the last time we used them a few years ago they never worked. By their sell by date I'm afraid.

5 hours ago, FifeSons said:

We’ve beaten Airdrie, Clyde, Cove and drawn at Firhill this season. If we win our game in hand we’d be a point behind Partick.

The squad might be weak relative to recent seasons, but it will still have no problem dispatching a mid table Lowland/Highland League outfit.

Ever heard of hubris?

35 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

No hubris, just realism.

I’m sure we all thought our Championship squad would easily deal with Bonnyrigg Rose and we all know how that turned out. I’m all for for folk having confidence but lets not get arrogant here, there’s every chance we’ll struggle when have only managed to score 4 goals all season. 

Whoever we end up playing, this is a cup final for them. Those players can make themselves heroes putting us out of the cup. 

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m sure we all thought our Championship squad would easily deal with Bonnyrigg Rose and we all know how that turned out. I’m all for for folk having confidence but lets not get arrogant here, there’s every chance we’ll struggle when have only managed to score 4 goals all season. 

Whoever we end up playing, this is a cup final for them. Those players can make themselves heroes putting us out of the cup. 

That's fair, our lack of firepower will probably make it more nervy than it needs to be. I'd still expect to win though.

15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Normally this sort of draw would have a novelty value, but I think the concern being expressed here is a fair measure of the reality of our current playing situation.

I think its more a reflection of our most recent result, and that result having been hanging over us for some time. If the cup draw had come straight after the Cove win, I suspect we'd all be feeling a lot more confident.

I'll just settle for a playable game ASAP.

Got a streaming question for anyone tech savvy... I think someone asked about using Smart TVs to watch the games, previously.

I use Chromecast to cast from my laptop which works perfectly, but just tried it with Roku and it said ‘not supported’. Has anyone had a similar issue/know if there’s a way round it?

20 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Several things struck me watching this back, but mainly: how much I wish we still played all-out attack every week and how desperately we could do with a peak Jim Lister.

Had never seen that before but great to see Jim Lister in action. The kick out by Creaney was something else and it was a laugh to see him protesting his innocence. like most players do. The commentators were just as one sided then!  What are the chances of this Saturday's game being on?

21 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Had never seen that before but great to see Jim Lister in action. The kick out by Creaney was something else and it was a laugh to see him protesting his innocence. like most players do. The commentators were just as one sided then!  What are the chances of this Saturday's game being on?

I have literally no idea what Creaney was thinking there! I remember reading an interview with him saying he was bricking it in the tunnel waiting for the game to end - no wonder!

Saturday sounds extremely unlikely, sadly. I’ve pretty much written it off in my head.

13 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I have literally no idea what Creaney was thinking there! I remember reading an interview with him saying he was bricking it in the tunnel waiting for the game to end - no wonder!

Saturday sounds extremely unlikely, sadly. I’ve pretty much written it off in my head.

Looking outside,  chances of Saturday's game look slim,   or have DUmbarton had covers down etc...    Do Dumbarton want the game on though....   Remember visiting there hungover big time in 2005 I think on New Years day,   Dumbarton won that day....

7 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Looking outside,  chances of Saturday's game look slim,   or have DUmbarton had covers down etc...    Do Dumbarton want the game on though....   Remember visiting there hungover big time in 2005 I think on New Years day,   Dumbarton won that day....

Yup, we're really craving a fixture pile up.   That's our exact plan.