Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

A direct link between a large club and a small club, several players from the one club on loan at the same time, more direct conversations between the larger clubs coaches and the smaller clubs manager, pressure to play a certain way to suit the larger club, the carrot of further loans if you do. It’s not difficult to see how that would lead to calls for greater and more formal links

59 minutes ago, sarti pooh said:

So you think Stenny will give up a 100+ years of tradition to be rebranded as Hibernian Colts just for a couple of young loanees?

And surely if they have an official tie in agreement, then the flow of loanees can't just be arbitrarily stopped by the bigger club?

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Airdrie warming up nicely for next week I see...As many goals in 50 minutes as Sons players have scored in nine games.

If it's on! ;) 

No pressure but I'm looking forward to your commentary. Hopefully we put up more of a fight against you than we did in our 'home' game... 

So you think Stenny will give up a 100+ years of tradition to be rebranded as Hibernian Colts just for a couple of young loanees?

That’s not what I said. But if a club establishes links with a smaller club it will become easier to make those links more formal and then push on from there. It is clear that there is an appetite fit colt clubs in certain quarters and it should be resisted. It’s not difficult to see a situation where the lure of players and money could lead to that. I certainly wouldn’t want to see Dumbarton establishing some sort of formal link with a larger club no matter who they were

16 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

If it's on! ;) 

No pressure but I'm looking forward to your commentary. Hopefully we put up more of a fight against you than we did in our 'home' game... 

If you're into niche football chat with a smattering of comments about the game that's actually on then you're in luck. 

Hopefully you enjoy it. And hopefully there's a game to actually speak about next Saturday!

55 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

That’s not what I said. But if a club establishes links with a smaller club it will become easier to make those links more formal and then push on from there. It is clear that there is an appetite fit colt clubs in certain quarters and it should be resisted. It’s not difficult to see a situation where the lure of players and money could lead to that. I certainly wouldn’t want to see Dumbarton establishing some sort of formal link with a larger club no matter who they were

So it's a bridge to colt teams but not a bridge to colt teams.

Got ye my man!

Aye, that would be absolutely shite having the pick of the youngsters from one of the top clubs in the country. I really can’t understand the logic here at all. Surely we want big clubs to loan players to lower league teams? Has that not pretty much been the main argument against allowing colt teams into the league setup with everyone advocating using the loan system instead of devaluing the competition with colt sides? 

Say Celtic or Rangers come knocking and tell us we can have the pick of their youngsters, they expect them to get plenty of game time but there is no obligation they must start every game. We don’t need to cover any wages (which can quite often happen with loans) and the players are free to train with us, whilst also training full-time with the parent club. Would you genuinely want us to turn our nose up at that? 

10 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aye, that would be absolutely shite having the pick of the youngsters from one of the top clubs in the country. I really can’t understand the logic here at all. Surely we want big clubs to loan players to lower league teams? Has that not pretty much been the main argument against allowing colt teams into the league setup with everyone advocating using the loan system instead of devaluing the competition with colt sides? 

Say Celtic or Rangers come knocking and tell us we can have the pick of their youngsters, they expect them to get plenty of game time but there is no obligation they must start every game. We don’t need to cover any wages (which can quite often happen with loans) and the players are free to train with us, whilst also training full-time with the parent club. Would you genuinely want us to turn our nose up at that? 

The big thing is pick. 

Presumably they wouldn't just punt 9 players our way, Duffy (or whoever) would be able to look at their squad and pick a couple of players in positions he needs strengthened/a couple of future Jamie Lindsays/Joe Thomsons.

Yes I would turn up my nose at it. The loan system is fine and a few loans from different sides is ok. But if you have six or seven players from one club it becomes completely different You are then talking about a direct link between the clubs and it would be more difficult to resist the bigger clubs influence. And as that influence increased your independence could be diluted and you would be getting closer to being a colt club

Yes I would turn up my nose at it. The loan system is fine and a few loans from different sides is ok. But if you have six or seven players from one club it becomes completely different You are then talking about a direct link between the clubs and it would be more difficult to resist the bigger clubs influence. And as that influence increased your independence could be diluted and you would be getting closer to being a colt club

You actually can't get 6 or 7 players from the one club. Would never happen. I think 2 or 3 is the max.

2 hours ago, The Camel’s Hump said:

Any idea why our match on Saturday is the only game in direct competition with the OF game? This’ll surely affect viewing figures.

It's a fair question but you have to wonder about the mindset of any Dumbarton fan who chooses to watches other Scottish football clubs whilst their own is in action. 

5 hours ago, The Camel’s Hump said:

Any idea why our match on Saturday is the only game in direct competition with the OF game? This’ll surely affect viewing figures.

I heard that the club seen fans asking on here why we didn't kick off earlier to save floodlight costs and thought it was a good shout so went with it and asked East Fife & Airdrie to switch to earlier kick offs.

East Fife said no but Airdrie agreed to it.

8 hours ago, George Parr said:

It's a fair question but you have to wonder about the mindset of any Dumbarton fan who chooses to watches other Scottish football clubs whilst their own is in action. 

Surely no one would ever actually travel to another club’s game to get a wave from an ex-player while we were playing? Nope, completely inconceivable.