Sons' sorrow

21 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Do we have scouts??

Do we actively look around for local talent?

I'd be surprised if we had anyone actively scouting for us. Duffy, to his credit, is normally at a lot of games when we aren't playing and I don't doubt he spends time at midweek development/reserve games when they are running too. The same goes for Barry Smith.

In terms of local talent, Clydebank aside, there really isn't a club that's near League One level. St Pats and Accies both had smashing seasons last year, but the jump from amateurs to League One is huge. Same goes for the Vale and the old West Region League Two. Even then if you took a player from Clydebank it would be a gamble; for every Daz Mackinnon or Kris Doolan there are countless players who have tried to make the step up and vanished without a trace.

12 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'd be surprised if we had anyone actively scouting for us. Duffy, to his credit, is normally at a lot of games when we aren't playing and I don't doubt he spends time at midweek development/reserve games when they are running too. The same goes for Barry Smith.

In terms of local talent, Clydebank aside, there really isn't a club that's near League One level. St Pats and Accies both had smashing seasons last year, but the jump from amateurs to League One is huge. Same goes for the Vale and the old West Region League Two. Even then if you took a player from Clydebank it would be a gamble; for every Daz Mackinnon or Kris Doolan there are countless players who have tried to make the step up and vanished without a trace.

Stefan McClusky looked very good for Pollok. Hasnt been able to progress back in the seniors for us.

Having seen him a few times at Newlandsfield, I'm surprised that he hasn't. I know he's had injury problems. Still think he could do well if he was fit and played in the correct role. He's not a winger. He's a link man between midfield and attack or he's a 2nd striker who will move off a target man.

5 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

IMG_0847.jpg
Fifty years ago today, a Charlie Gallagher penalty and a Kenny Wilson header cancelled out two early Bobby Lennox goals to force the League Cup semi-final replay into extra time, against the European Cup Final runners up.
I was there.

Was at that game too. Celtic were a real force in Europe then and they were lucky to scrape past us.

IMG_0847.thumb.jpg.bc3bf51109031f0c057c6845dce71537.jpg
Fifty years ago today, a Charlie Gallagher penalty and a Kenny Wilson header cancelled out two early Bobby Lennox goals to force the League Cup semi-final replay into extra time, against the European Cup Final runners up.
I was there.

Can you imagine messrs Graham and Coleman going for today’s water break of individual bottles.
“Just fill up that wee plastic pail and we’ll use our hands ! “

Jesus, life was so much simpler then.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We've got Quitongo and Wardrop who can play as wingbacks.

I reckon prime Wardrop could cope with that no bother but we haven’t seen anything like prime Wardrop since he returned. He looks a yard or two off the pace and seems to be struggling with the basics. It may well work fine but I’m really not sure how he’d get on there at the minute.

15 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I reckon prime Wardrop could cope with that no bother but we haven’t seen anything like prime Wardrop since he returned. He looks a yard or two off the pace and seems to be struggling with the basics. It may well work fine but I’m really not sure how he’d get on there at the minute.

If its a confidence issue with Sam then having the security of a right sided centre half in a back 3 who can cover him would possibly help. If its fitness then being able to go forward without worrying about getting back to defend quickly enough may also be a bonus from a back 3, particularly if it's Hamilton covering him. 

2 hours ago, Jumbo Muir said:

Can you imagine messrs Graham and Coleman going for today’s water break of individual bottles.
“Just fill up that wee plastic pail and we’ll use our hands ! “

Jesus, life was so much simpler then.

Yes, life certainly was much simpler then........

no fancy sprays or physio work for injuries --- just the old magic sponge (probably using the same communal water bucket as the photo)

only 2 subs ----with the inevitable outcome of players half-crocked but still playing out the match and also occasional outfield players having to play in goals if goalie sent-off or injured.

third world facilities for fans (remember the toilets at Boghead?)

Anyway, enough about the good things from yesteryear!

10 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
11 hours ago, Howlin said:
IMG_0847.thumb.jpg.bc3bf51109031f0c057c6845dce71537.jpg
I was there.

So was I, and from my vantage point in the old North Enclosure I can confirm that the Bobby Lennox cross from the left wing which led to Lou Macari's far post tap-in for the deciding fourth goal DID cross the goal line on it's way over, so much so that Lawrie Williams (who was much better placed than the officials) immediately raised his arm to signify same. So convinced was he that awaited a flag/whistle - unfortunately for Sons there came none. Nevertheless, an epic pair of performances.

The linesman actually raised his flag and only put it down when Macari put the ball in the net.

1 hour ago, rockson said:

The linesman actually raised his flag and only put it down when Macari put the ball in the net.

Now that rings a bell....as does Lawrie swinging from the crossbar.

For the amusement of the youngsters on here, Rangers beat Cowdenbeath 2-0 in the other semi-final.  Just imagine that kids, Dumbarton and the Blue Brazil in the last four of the League Cup 😮

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Now that rings a bell....as does Lawrie swinging from the crossbar.

For the amusement of the youngsters on here, Rangers beat Cowdenbeath 2-0 in the other semi-final.  Just imagine that kids, Dumbarton and the Blue Brazil in the last four of the League Cup 😮

Quite unusual, Rangers and Celtic avoiding each other in the semis .

11 hours ago, microdave said:

Does anyone know when the clock and scoreboard at Boghead disappeared? I've been asked about it on twitter but I didn't know there was such a thing there.

Dunno when it disappeared, but it was over in the far left corner (as you looked out from the dugouts), up at the top of the slope, if I mind right.

Dunno when it disappeared, but it was over in the far left corner (as you looked out from the dugouts), up at the top of the slope, if I mind right.
I'd reckon early 90's. It was sponsored by Thermal K Shield and in later years the mechanism failed, leading to the bizarre situation where an elderly gent named Murphy moved the hand every five minutes with a length of wood - seriously.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

I'd reckon early 90's. It was sponsored by Thermal K Shield and in later years the mechanism failed, leading to the bizarre situation where an elderly gent named Murphy moved the hand every five minutes with a length of wood - seriously.

I had forgotten about the guy moving it manually 🤣🤣

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

I had assumed it must have been before my time but if it was the 90's then it wasn't. I just can't remember it. 

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
50 minutes ago, microdave said:
I had assumed it must have been before my time but if it was the 90's then it wasn't. I just can't remember it. 

You'll be telling us next you don't remember the big coffee jar thing which sat adjacent to the Boghead Avenue turnstiles in the final days of Boghead.

TWO big jars, actually 😉

Screenshot_20201014-143532_Samsung Internet.jpg