Sons' sorrow

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Finally got confirmation from the man himself that Ruaridh Langan's name is pronounced like Rory. It was one of a few things we spoke about last week - and now you can read it all here.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/dumbarton-midfielder-ruaridh-langan-out-22522659

Must admit that I thought it was pronounced like Roo-Ray (similar to Rooney) but Hey-Ho there you go. Main thing that matters is as long as he plays well!

edit . . .couldn't open up the Daily Record article!

Edited by Rising Sons
Adding text

34 minutes ago, Rising Sons said:

Must admit that I thought it was pronounced like Roo-Ray (similar to Rooney) but Hey-Ho there you go. Main thing that matters is as long as he plays well!

Should really be a 3 syllables, Roo Ah Ree.

The spelling should follow the long/long or slender/slender vowel rule either side of the middle consonant. 🤓

I.e. Ruairidh. 

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

1 hour ago, Rising Sons said:

That website, man.

Just quickly get down to your local newsagent and buy a copy of last week's paper instead ;)

10 hours ago, Rising Sons said:

So to get away from the debate about the pronunciation of Ruaridh, does anyone have any thoughts on who we might bring in as a goalkeeper? Loan player?  .........CUE THE ANNUAL GOALIE DEBATE

Rohan Ferguson is reportedly on trial at Falkirk at the moment, so we can potentially rule him out. Although I can't see him displacing Robbie Mutch there.

I'd have liked to see us go for Motherwell's PJ Morrison, but with Scott Fox out for the season I'd imagine he'll be their #2 this year. Not really sure who else is kicking about and a free agent at the moment.

27 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Rohan Ferguson is reportedly on trial at Falkirk at the moment, so we can potentially rule him out. Although I can't see him displacing Robbie Mutch there.

I'd have liked to see us go for Motherwell's PJ Morrison, but with Scott Fox out for the season I'd imagine he'll be their #2 this year. Not really sure who else is kicking about and a free agent at the moment.

Aren't you forgetting that we cannot sign someone unless they have played with Falkirk first.Big Rohan will get a trial match and then they'll punt him to us 🙄

On 15/08/2020 at 17:42, The Moonster said:

Is it not just a PR thing? I've genuinely never heard of any player seeking guidance from the club chaplain. Seems like an outdated tradition we've just held onto.

On 15/08/2020 at 19:10, microdave said:

It probably is a PR thing. I only became aware we even had one on the day Jim Duffy was appointed when one of my mates noticed it on the club officials part of the os. I'd imagine (hope) it's a voluntary position so it's not anything I'd grumble about even if I do think religion is the root of all evil.

Its not a pr thing and its not so much 'spiritual' guidance as more a sounding board and someone players can talk to. Almost bordering on a mental health counsellor without necessarily the formal background. Generally they will have done training in it though. The title is a bit misleading, its not really about religion.

Make no mistake, Grant Hamilton is very hands on (attended full time training a couple of days a week with us) and worth his weight in gold. I'm probably more disappointed to lose Grant than any of the players to leave us this summer.  He lives in Dumbarton though despite being a QoS fan so the move suits him. He will do good things with you and be a hard act to follow with us.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Its not a pr thing and its not so much 'spiritual' guidance as more a sounding board and someone players can talk to. Almost bordering on a mental health counsellor without necessarily the formal background. Generally they will have done training in it though. The title is a bit misleading, its not really about religion.

Make no mistake, Grant Hamilton is very hands on (attended full time training a couple of days a week with us) and worth his weight in gold. I'm probably more disappointed to lose Grant than any of the players to leave us this summer.  He lives in Dumbarton though despite being a QoS fan so the move suits him. He will do good things with you and be a hard act to follow with us.

Are we signing Grant Hamilton?