Sons' sorrow

What was the Spring Cup?

It was basically the Challenge Cup of its day. It was introduced because the two lower divisions only comprised 14 teams and so there were only 26 league matches. Games were all played at the end of the season after the league was finished. It was such a success that it only lasted one season.

David Crawford always seemed quite good at saving penalties when he was with us. Wasn't there talk at the time that he was forever searching for a full-time deal and that was why he held off re-signing for us until we replaced him so he ended up signing for Queens Park or someone like that?

Surprised to see all this chat about Davie Crawford.

Since leaving us in 2008 he's played for QP, Alloa, Ayr, Albion Rovers, Clyde, Stirling Albion, Montrose and back to Stirling Albion.

Just because he was semi decent for us, in a season we finished 8th in the 3rd division, 6 years ago does not mean he will be anywhere near the required standard for this league.

Why on earth would we even consider signing a guy who has spent almost his entire career (now 28 ) fannying around in the 3rd division? No thanks.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

David Crawford always seemed quite good at saving penalties when he was with us. Wasn't there talk at the time that he was forever searching for a full-time deal and that was why he held off re-signing for us until we replaced him so he ended up signing for Queens Park or someone like that?

I'm pretty sure every club he's left he has stated that he wants to go to the next level, looking at his career history, it doesn't really have seemed to have worked out for him. His team history would also suggest that he hasn't fulfilled the potential he had shown with us but could be a shout.

Surprised to see all this chat about Davie Crawford.

Since leaving us in 2008 he's played for QP, Alloa, Ayr, Albion Rovers, Clyde, Stirling Albion, Montrose and back to Stirling Albion.

Just because he was semi decent for us, in a season we finished 8th in the 3rd division, 6 years ago does not mean he will be anywhere near the required standard for this league.

Why on earth would we even consider signing a guy who has spent almost his entire career (now 28 ) fannying around in the 3rd division? No thanks.

Granted, it would be a risk and there are probably better options, but I'd still prefer us to take a shot with someone like him than stick with both Ewings and Grindlay.

So...who does everybody else think will be next to sign? I'll go for Nishy

Good game but I fear with you going first you have the advantage. We're all expecting that McGinn and Megginson will hang on for as long as possible to see what they'll get and of the folk that are left I think Nish is the only one we can expect to sign up. For that reason, I'll go for Emeka Obidile.

Raith have apparently released Gordon 'Brother of Kevin' Smith, scored against us a few times last season from memory and looked pretty decent, worth a shot?

Raith fans seem to be delighted that he's gone, is he better than Fleming or Nish? I wouldn't say so. He'd be a back-up striker and we've already got Prunty.

It was basically the Challenge Cup of its day. It was introduced because the two lower divisions only comprised 14 teams and so there were only 26 league matches. Games were all played at the end of the season after the league was finished. It was such a success that it only lasted one season.

26 league matches? There were 39! Each team played 3 times with home advantage being the luck of the draw.