Sons' sorrow

What does a club chaplain actually do? 
I'd imagine to offer spiritual guidance to anyone who wants it and maybe act as a counsellor (again) to anyone who wants it. I think the fact that we've sought a replacement for the previous chaplain means it's a worthwhile position in the club.

4 hours ago, microdave said:

I'd imagine to offer spiritual guidance to anyone who wants it and maybe act as a counsellor (again) to anyone who wants it. I think the fact that we've sought a replacement for the previous chaplain means it's a worthwhile position in the club.

Is it not just a PR thing? I've genuinely never heard of any player seeking guidance from the club chaplain. Seems like an outdated tradition we've just held onto.

It is worthwhile, and even more so if we could have a Chaplain/Groundsman.

I wouldn't have a club chaplain. It may only be a token appointment but I don't see what it brings to the club. Players of a religious persuasion are far more likely to seek support from their own vicar, minister, priest, rabbi or imam. His qualification in social work is probably more relevant to the modern day football club on issues such as safeguarding.

I think it's maybe more a tradition than anything else nowadays.

The Rangers chaplain covers Scottish Rugby as well and the only time players ever bothered about him is when they were on the scrounge for Old Firm tickets.

Which he always managed to sort.

Maybe some of our tighter fans could get in with our chaplain.

Is it not just a PR thing? I've genuinely never heard of any player seeking guidance from the club chaplain. Seems like an outdated tradition we've just held onto.

It probably is a PR thing. I only became aware we even had one on the day Jim Duffy was appointed when one of my mates noticed it on the club officials part of the os. I'd imagine (hope) it's a voluntary position so it's not anything I'd grumble about even if I do think religion is the root of all evil.

24 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Tradition? We only got one when Stevie Aitken was manager. AFAIK we never had one before that

I meant Scottish Football in general as you can see in the part of my post you left out to suit yours.

As Far as I know chaplains have been at clubs in scottish football for 20 years or so now.

Probably longer in some cases.

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Some chaplains are better than others,Really they are exorcists but this last one could do nothing with kevin nisbet.Apparently Raith's though is quite good and stopped the devil making him shite and lazy.😁

In all honesty Scott was the best Chaplain SONS ever had...at least on the pitch.

Edited by lorenzo71

I meant Scottish Football in general as you can see in the part of my post you left out to suit yours.
As Far as I know chaplains have been at clubs in scottish football for 20 years or so now.
Probably longer in some cases.

Eh? I didn’t quote you

Finally got confirmation from the man himself that Ruaridh Langan's name is pronounced like Rory. It was one of a few things we spoke about last week - and now you can read it all here.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/dumbarton-midfielder-ruaridh-langan-out-22522659