Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

SPFL announced you can have up to 6 loans this coming season. Up to 2 from the same club in the same division, up to 4 from same club in a different division. Could be very useful!

Not so sure. Four from the same club smacks of easing in a somewhat too close arrangement with a larger club. And before you know it we will have official feeder clubs.

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Not so sure. Four from the same club smacks of easing in a somewhat too close arrangement with a larger club. And before you know it we will have official feeder clubs.

I think the rule is just for this season. Regardless, no club needs to take 4 from the same club, you can have 6 from 6 different clubs. 

It would be good to get a few more signed up over the weekend. Layne, Carswell, Hutton and Crossan would be a solid start to proceedings. 
Hmmm... maybe two from that four. Sign-up too many from last season and we will be scuffing about at the wrong end of the division. Hard-headed decisions are the key #HHDATK

35 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
It would be good to get a few more signed up over the weekend. Layne, Carswell, Hutton and Crossan would be a solid start to proceedings. 

Hmmm... maybe two from that four. Sign-up too many from last season and we will be scuffing about at the wrong end of the division. Hard-headed decisions are the key #HHDATK

FWIW I wouldn’t be keeping many more other than Rico and McKee and I wouldn’t be against Wardrop making a return. I’m on the fence regarding Crossan, I think there’s something there but he has to show it more consistently. I reckon something we’ve lacked in recent seasons is a consistent spine to the team. Compliment the above plus big Heid and Moothy with some new signings and I think we would be looking in a healthy position. The new signings have to be capable of pushing/going straight into the first team rather than jersey fillers like Zata and Tierney. I reckon shrewd loan signings will once again be pivitol. 

I would be happy keeping Hutton and Layne.

Not too sure about Carswell, I like him and he's great working with the club on the extracurricular activities with schools etc. But for me, I think his time could be up. He was pretty poor for the whole of last season and Hutton done the job much better imo. He can be handy to have for filling a hole in the back line, but if the squad is built properly, that shouldn't really be needed.

Crossan had no end product and I think we could do better. Didn't really impress me. Maybe I'm just thinking about the wide players we had in the championship and comparing them unfairly but he didn't seem to bring much to the team.

McKee and Forbes should be very useful this season if we have them both. Now that we know both central defenders and potentially Layne are more than capable of scoring headers particularly from set pieces.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I had actually forgotten all about PJ Crossan until I was building our season Wikipedia page the other day (I live a very rock and roll lifestyle.) I hope we keep him, there's a really good player in there - just one who only shows up about seven or eight times a season.

Interestingly he was involved in a quarter of our league goals last season, six goals and three assists, despite only playing 70 percent of minutes. That's a pretty handy return for a player who was a regular starter for really the first time in his career.

I also wonder how much of our squad building might come down to the availability of players. Looking at the squad list thread, a lot of clubs have a lot of guys signed up from the previous season.  I think the number of playing squad changes we see at most clubs could be reduced with guys maybe thinking it better to stay put for the shortened season and target a big money move in summer 2021.

I just hope for our sake that we can find a way to keep Rico and McKee. They're the two who will be in the highest demand imo.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

7 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:
1 hour ago, O said:
And they would be ???

Hutton to East Kilbride will surely be one of them.

Aitken was in the EK News this week saying he was "turning his attention to defenders".

I don't know if that means he's given up his very public pursuit of Hutton or not, but with Paul Paton coming in I do wonder if he's now filled the defensive midfielder role.

Aitken was in the EK News this week saying he was "turning his attention to defenders".

I don't know if that means he's given up his very public pursuit of Hutton or not, but with Paul Paton coming in I do wonder if he's now filled the defensive midfielder role.

Surely he'll be wanting more than one defensive midfielder![emoji6]