Sons' sorrow

Isn't it a UEFA or FIFA rule that prohibits trialists though?

Its not just a potential pay day its the sponsorship money. I think we get something in the region of £15/20,000 just for participating and that goes up depending on how high up the group we finish. Not being allowed to play trialists is just stupid though given that the whole point of the groups was to replace pre-season.

I don't think the trialist thing is such an issue this year but normally its a bit of a shambles. Not defending Duffy for how he fannied around a bit last year but there's no way the likes of Mati Zata or Tierney get deals if we could play trialists in that group stage. We've got well over a month to get things sorted this time round and players are available in huge numbers (with none of them on holiday) so its not as big an issue. 

Feeling pretty happy about todays signings so far. It's nice to have both of our first choice Centrebacks resign. Shouldnt be any issues with gelling.

Announce Rico and Hutton and that would be a fantastic start to the squad.

Just now, lionel wickson said:
14 minutes ago, microdave said:
Another one at 1600. The Lennox article said it's another that signed last season, so it'll be one of nine. Hopefully McKee, Rico or Layne.

Brennan or McCluskey, would be my guess.

Got to be Brennan.

Now that we're getting players re-signed, I'm realising that we haven't announced the usual list of released players. Does that mean we've offered contracts to everyone (bar the loaned) that were with us when last season finished?

Stefan needs a better season. He showed more at Pollok when I watched him. He has the pace to cause players trouble and isnt afraid to shoot when played centrally off a target man. He isnt really a winger as his dribbling isnt the best and his crossing can be suspect. Play him centrally and encourage him to play off a partner or to run on to through balls and he'll give defenders difficult decisions to make - tackle and risk fouling or let him run and hope that you can run him into a dead end.

But it's great to see some signings. Neil and McGeever are a decent enough duo at the back if they have the right fullbacks either side of them. The big one I now want to see is Kyle Hutton - last season we finally realised what he brings to the team when playing well. Arguably better than Carswell last year and a guy who does the unglamorous stuff to let more creative players around him do their thing.

52 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

Ricos agent is pimping him out to every club going so can't see him being back

Very probably won't return but i think another year under JD would bring him on a lot.1 more season at this level would give him a further good grounding in the game.A bit like Paul Mcginn did a few years back.Rico's young enough..at 21...so potentially a long career ahead of him.

He made giant strides last season turning into a really decent full back.

Edited by lorenzo71
add info

2 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Very probably won't return but i think another year under JD would bring him on a lot.1 more season at this level would give him a further good grounding in the game.A bit like Paul Mcginn did a few years back.Rico's young enough..at 21...so potentially a long career ahead of him.

He made giant strides last season turning into a really decent full back.

I would absolutely love him to come to us as was always good against us. Only issue is he's a wee guy and we have loads of them already which is to our detriment at corners as everyone knows haha

Just now, sirscottyoung said:

I would absolutely love him to come to us as was always good against us. Only issue is he's a wee guy and we have loads of them already which is to our detriment at corners as everyone knows haha

If I were an EF fan I would feel every bit aggrieved at not getting a chance at promotion via playoffs.You were the best footballing side I saw last season.There didn't seem to be much wailing and gnashing of teeth from your club or did I miss something?