Sons' sorrow

Former Thistle midfielder Manny Panther in talks.

Big Manny had the potential to be a cracking player for us but Dick Campbell put paid to that. Athletic box-to-box midfielder but I thought he'd retired to focus on a new business career.

At least if he signs, it'll get him off that atrocious E4 reality show that he appeared in a couple of weeks ago.

Strange that Smith wasn't released along with the other two last week. Wonder if there was more to it.

That may also mean that some others haven't been offered a contract after all but not officially released yet.

I wonder if Muzz is waiting until their contracts officially run out, Smith signed about this time last year on a twelve month deal whilst Phinn only signed until the end of the season. Only reason I can think of.

Strange that Smith wasn't released along with the other two last week. Wonder if there was more to it.

That may also mean that some others haven't been offered a contract after all but not officially released yet.

I heard Smith telling Fleming at the POTY do he wouldn't even be turning up for the Thursday meeting all the players and staff had planned. He looked like he couldn't wait to leave and never return.

We probably couldn't announce it until Murray had some sort of meeting/contact with him.

The new 'keeper (if there is to be one) will not be Graeme Smith. He's just signed a 2yr extension with Brechin.

Thank god!

It's amazing how one poster on here can change the minds of every other poster in Jamie Ewings' case. We don't need a new keeper if we get Grindlay signed up IMO. Grindlay is decent enough backup and Jazza is good enough to start.

Thank god!

It's amazing how one poster on here can change the minds of every other poster in Jamie Ewings' case. We don't need a new keeper if we get Grindlay signed up IMO. Grindlay is decent enough backup and Jazza is good enough to start.

post-33799-0-31324300-1400526558_thumb.j

Thank god!

And as long as we have posts like this it will never go away. Jamie Ewings is a done deal but I can't believe that there are not other keepers out there worth a look.

Thank god!

Ewings isn't good enough to start. He is far too error prone and inconsistent. The number of points we lost last season because of howlers from Ewings and Grindlay were far greater than the points they earned us. The team is crying out for a new keeper and I'm certain that Murray will address it.

Ewings isn't good enough to start. He is far too error prone and inconsistent. The number of points we lost last season because of howlers from Ewings and Grindlay were far greater than the points they earned us. The team is crying out for a new keeper and I'm certain that Murray will address it.

to be fair....I thought Ewings started last season well, and had cut out some of the errors....he then got injured, and Grindlay got his place, and after that, both were in and out the team

I suspect most keepers with most teams in this league have seen good and bad from their keepers.

Most of the goals we lost were not down to howlers from either Ewings or Grindlay.....they were down to the style of football we play....we play a very open and expansive game....that leaves gaps, and as a result, we will lose goals

I wouldn't be totally unhappy if we re-signed both and used the money for a quality striker or new RB

Smith is a strange one...at this time last season, we were hoping he would stay and sign a new contract, and Linton looked like he would be a squad player

I would guess Murray told him he would be a squad player, but that he wanted him to stay.....Smith probably thought there was no way he would get any game time given we had played other guys like Turner in that position instead

I would wish him all the best and hope he finds a new club soon

to be fair....I thought Ewings started last season well, and had cut out some of the errors....he then got injured, and Grindlay got his place, and after that, both were in and out the team

I suspect most keepers with most teams in this league have seen good and bad from their keepers.

Most of the goals we lost were not down to howlers from either Ewings or Grindlay.....they were down to the style of football we play....we play a very open and expansive game....that leaves gaps, and as a result, we will lose goals

I wouldn't be totally unhappy if we re-signed both and used the money for a quality striker or new RB

I have been saying this all along! Jamie started every game up until he got injured in the warm up vs Morton in January. I don't remember many people having that much of a problem before that. I do think he struggled badly afterwards but the manager made a bit of a mess of things in switching between the keepers etc... It is clear to anyone that Murray sees Jamie as our no 1 over Grindlay when you see the appearances last season.

I had heard rumours that Grindlay will be offered a 2nd/3rd choice role and that Jamie would be offered the same. I think it is needless to have 3 goalkeepers, but we will have to wait and see:

a. Whether he signs Stephen up for next season.

b. Whether he brings in a new keeper.

I have been saying this all along! Jamie started every game up until he got injured in the warm up vs Morton in January. I don't remember many people having that much of a problem before that. I do think he struggled badly afterwards but the manager made a bit of a mess of things in switching between the keepers etc... It is clear to anyone that Murray sees Jamie as our no 1 over Grindlay when you see the appearances last season.

I had heard rumours that Grindlay will be offered a 2nd/3rd choice role and that Jamie would be offered the same. I think it is needless to have 3 goalkeepers, but we will have to wait and see:

a. Whether he signs Stephen up for next season.

b. Whether he brings in a new keeper.

We should just be done with it, sign another striker and go 'Any Man Save' next season.

Has anyone else seen something about michael hopkins from our 19s refusing a contract offer?

I was sure i had read it on the fishul site but theres no mention of him now in the article about the under 19s leaving...

This was the young guy who picked up a scotland cap during the season and may have been looking for a first team contract like joe and ally.

Has anyone else seen something about michael hopkins from our 19s refusing a contract offer?

I was sure i had read it on the fishul site but theres no mention of him now in the article about the under 19s leaving.

You didn't imagine it...I saw that clearly mentioned on the original post on the DFC official site. It has since been edited to remove all mention of it. Possibly, the club was playing a game of brinkmanship. Perhaps the young man didn't really believe the 'final' offer made to him by the club and putting it on the website convinced him to reconsider. Time will tell.

We should have got shot of both keepers and started a fresh. Both have undeniably pulled quality saves out time and time again, but too many daft errors and poor decision making have cost us. Fair do's we finished 5th which we are all over the moon with, but we could possibly have finished even higher.