Sons' sorrow

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Most folk have more than 1 email address, if they don't it takes about a minute to make one. Plus, I know we've got time on our hands right now but would you want to sit and check 800 odd votes for duplicates? :lol:

😂😂 yeah I know but really who wants to make a random email address just to vote for a strip? 

I'm in no way a techy guy but surely the website/software can filter duplicates out without someone having to physically do it?

34 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

😂😂 yeah I know but really who wants to make a random email address just to vote for a strip? 

I'm in no way a techy guy but surely the website/software can filter duplicates out without someone having to physically do it?

We've only just figured out the card machine and you want filtering software? :P

How many individuals have contributed to the club fund raiser? I'd like to think everyone who wouldn't buy the home shirt because they didn't like it might think about giving the club their cash anyway.

There a good one. We seem pleased over 800 people decide on what strip we wear.
this season less than 500 on average turn up to see us actually play in our strip.
personally I’d rather it was at least the other way around 

We're hosting a virtual POTY awards, and voting is now open. Like this idea. Reghan Tumilty's acceptance video for GOTS makes it worth watching alone. He's got some high quality wallpaper.

Anyway - who are you all voting for?

It was a two-horse race between McKee and Hutton for Player of the Year for me. I've been thinking about it a fair amount, but eventually plumped for McKee solely on the basis that without his assists we'd have been relegated. If someone other than those two wins it then I'll start some riots though.

Rico got my vote for YPOTY. I criticised him a lot at the start of the season, but he really came onto a game as the months went on - and it's impossible not to like him. He's a solid wee guy with a big heart who could never be accused of hiding or shirking a challenge. I think the few games where Matty Shiels played at left-back actually highlighted Rico's best attributes.

I have went for Kyle Hutton as POTY. He has been outstanding in the middle of the park this season and has been so consistent as well. The team struggled without him while he was injured.

Rico Quitongo for YPOTY. Started off very shaky but has come on leaps and bounds and is one of the first names I would have down on the teamsheet now. Always gives 100% and gave every opposition winger a hard time on that side.

I can't help thinking we're all making a mistake by voting for who we think has been the best player this season. The past 5/6 years, the poty either leaves or has a poor subsequent season. On this basis, I suggest we vote for someone who hasn't had a great year but who could excel next season. An anti-curse.

Thought this would amuse you lads. Was looking at some old highlights on youtube the other night and stumbled across this: an early round cup tie from the 91/92 season at the old Firs Park, with a full stentorian Jock Brown commentary. Some long forgotten names there (Chico Gibson...Jimmy Gilmour) and the hilarious sight of *Peter Houston* turning out for the Shire.

Not a bad all-gold Spall kit, either, looks similar to one of the options you're voting on. Enjoy.

17 hours ago, microdave said:

The pictures in isolation don't make sense but on the club home page, they come together quite nicely. Screenshot_20200428-175835_Instagram.jpeg

I hate to be critical of things like this as in the grand scheme of things they don't really matter, but I think that looks horrendous. It looks like it's been flung together by school weans. I can't quite understand the desire for so much neon blazed across it and we've just thrown in random words like "weekend" and "the future" to fill up space (and some words are dropped over the top of others making them hard to read). It's just a eyesore of busyness with no clear message. Even the part it says "SONS" has been pieced together poorly by searching for each letter on Google images. We have folk who work with graphics in their profession, we've used them a number of times before for things like this so I'm a bit baffled as to why we've half arsed it.

I fully understand the club trying to engage more often on social media and it's great that seems to be a priority, and I would like to stress I mean no disrespect here, but I can't help but think some of our material is missing it's key demographic. There have been quite a few comments on here of folk saying they had to mute or unfollow our channels over recent weeks - I don't think we really want our core support turning away from our official channels, especially at a time like this. 

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Thought this would amuse you lads. Was looking at some old highlights on youtube the other night and stumbled across this: an early round cup tie from the 91/92 season at the old Firs Park, with a full stentorian Jock Brown commentary. Some long forgotten names there (Chico Gibson...Jimmy Gilmour) and the hilarious sight of *Peter Houston* turning out for the Shire.

Not a bad all-gold Spall kit, either, looks similar to one of the options you're voting on. Enjoy.

That season you were in the first division under doug rougvie.I used to hate a player you had called Bradley Kerr.He broke charlie gibson's ankle in a cup tie the year you went up.Thta added to the already 217 players we had injured that season.Also a wee c**t called martin allen who seemed to score barrowloads against us.One gable endie i wanted us to sign was innes macdonald .He was class.But he ended up playing in the Italian 3rd division i think when he moved with his job maybe???

Hey ho its good to reminesce.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

We're hosting a virtual POTY awards, and voting is now open. Like this idea. Reghan Tumilty's acceptance video for GOTS makes it worth watching alone. He's got some high quality wallpaper.

Anyway - who are you all voting for?

It was a two-horse race between McKee and Hutton for Player of the Year for me. I've been thinking about it a fair amount, but eventually plumped for McKee solely on the basis that without his assists we'd have been relegated. If someone other than those two wins it then I'll start some riots though.

Rico got my vote for YPOTY. I criticised him a lot at the start of the season, but he really came onto a game as the months went on - and it's impossible not to like him. He's a solid wee guy with a big heart who could never be accused of hiding or shirking a challenge. I think the few games where Matty Shiels played at left-back actually highlighted Rico's best attributes.

Carsy should get a special award for the player who tried hardest in training and ultimately was our midfield genital.

#drysarcasmday

42 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

That season you were in the first division under doug rougvie.I used to hate a player you had called Bradley Kerr.He broke charlie gibson's ankle in a cup tie the year you went up.Thta added to the already 217 players we had injured that season.Also a wee c**t called martin allen who seemed to score barrowloads against us.One gable endie i wanted us to sign was innes macdonald .He was class.But he ended up playing in the Italian 3rd division i think when he moved with his job maybe???

Hey ho its good to reminesce.

My first ever game on 17 December 1990 was a 4-1 cup win at Boghead. My fuzzy memory was that Bill Lamont got sacked not long after, he certainly got absolute pelters from the home support and was looking haggard after that result. All the players mentioned bar McDonald were involved IIRC, and Marty Allan ran the show. Time flies