46 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm not at all sure that approach reflects the growing severity of the national and international situation right now.  I think clubs may be forced to consider simply cancelling all contracts and going into a care-and-maintenance basis for the foreseeable future, ie effectively shutting down.

Hardly ideal obviously, but the possibility of clubs limping by for a few weeks until the game restarts is receding by the hour and we all need to face that reality.  There will be a lot more serious issues to consider.

It had occurred to me that as conditions deteriorate the above may be the only feasible way forward. Cancel all contracts, fall into breach and hope for the best.

Hopefully the vast majority of employees at the club have other full-time work they can fall back on. Best of luck to them.

54 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm not at all sure that approach reflects the growing severity of the national and international situation right now.  I think clubs may be forced to consider simply cancelling all contracts and going into a care-and-maintenance basis for the foreseeable future, ie effectively shutting down.

Hardly ideal obviously, but the possibility of clubs limping by for a few weeks until the game restarts is receding by the hour and we all need to face that reality.  There will be a lot more serious issues to consider.

I have no idea what clauses are written into contracts, I just assumed that cancelling the lot would mean paying them off anyway but I concede I have no idea of the legal ramifications.

40 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I have no idea what clauses are written into contracts, I just assumed that cancelling the lot would mean paying them off anyway but I concede I have no idea of the legal ramifications.

Very few people will voluntarily walk away from being paid wages, including footballers. It's a desperate situation and clubs will struggle to wriggle out of paying wages. Unless of course SSP comes into play.

Cash flow is king for most part time teams. Very few have significant debts but almost nobody has any cash reserves of any note. Season ticket culture contributes massively to a lack of cash flow and clubs are often reliant on periodic payments from the league and anything they can bring in on match day to keep going over the course of a season. Selling tickets for next year would only really rob Peter to pay Paul - we'd still face a cash flow issue, just earlier in the season.

Options for guaranteed government loans just announced. I'm not sure what category of loan that most part time clubs would qualify for. There's the issue of whether or not we'd qualify for one, whether or not we could repay it and - most critically of all - whether Brabco would object to the club applying for that kind of finance or whether they'd see this as an opportunity to kill us and sell the ground for development?

Fans aren't really in a great position to be financial saviours. Most will be worrying about our own incomes and discretionary spending will be minimal for many people. The "good" thing in all of this (and I use that word very loosely) is that we're not alone. This is an existential crisis for British football. Lower league clubs down south will be facing similar problems and most clubs in Scotland outside of the big 2 will be in the same situation that we're in. If there is going to be some kind of solution then it will need to be a solution for the whole of football because the reality is that whether it's us, Peterhead, Annan, Falkirk or the likes of Morton, Livi or even Aberdeen, this is a problem for all of Scottish football. Clubs can't stand alone in this. We need to see the game up here unite to survive.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Lower league clubs down south will be facing similar problems and most clubs in Scotland outside of the big 2 will be in the same situation that we're in. 

One of the clubs in the big 2 aren't in that great a situation either 😉

I don’t know how much it would help but I opted to pay for my season ticket monthly. I am happy to let the payments continue to roll on after I have paid the full balance even if we aren’t playing games. 

Would others agree? 

Decided to sort out a classic game for potential self isolation. Hoping to win the champions league with this team 👍

20200319_152450.jpg

Decided to sort out a classic game for potential self isolation. Hoping to win the champions league with this team

20200319_152450.thumb.jpg.4c852e526c6f0c56560ff3bdfe9720e6.jpg

Somebodies research had bonesy down as one of our star players?

On 17/03/2020 at 14:00, Homer Sandoval said:

Very few people will voluntarily walk away from being paid wages, including footballers. It's a desperate situation and clubs will struggle to wriggle out of paying wages. Unless of course SSP comes into play.

Try and look on the bright side, at least Rory Loy will be fit for the run in....

I see Stenny are bidding for a chance to  play for Stenny. A bit like the play for the sons thing, could this be done for us again? Might raise a wee bit

9 minutes ago, the snudge said:

I see Stenny are bidding for a chance to  play for Stenny. A bit like the play for the sons thing, could this be done for us again? Might raise a wee bit

Feel free to run it if you want, I've no got the patience to do it again :lol:

Right guys, as you can imagine sport being totally wiped out isn't a situation I was hoping I'd ever encounter as a sports reporter at a local paper...

I'm actually quite enjoying coming up with bigger ideas for features and the like though, and with it being 20 years since we moved in to the Rock I thought that could be something half decent to write about.

I'll put an appeal out on the Lennox Facebook and Twitter pages next week - but I'm thinking I might do something looking back on its opening, and then a piece around iconic moments and games (so feel free to fire me suggestions and we'll come up with a top five or something). We've got a few old pictures - including Paddy Flannery in a full-kit on the site of the stadium before it was built - on the system but I'd love it if you guys could fire some my way too. I can't promise they'd all be used or anything like that - but I love old photos from memorable times, so fire them my way.

If you've got any memories, key games, basically anything from the past 20 years at the stadium then drop me a wee email and I'll try to include it. My work address is [email protected]

I've got a bit of time to work on this because I'm kind of covered feature wise for a few weeks with ones I kept for emergencies - but given time I think we could do something really nice.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Players and management at League One rivals Dumbarton are taking a 50% deferral on wages until further notice.

The agreement at the part-time Sons will be honoured for all, including those with contracts due to expire.

Comments according to BBC Scotland

The place is in shut down but two guys are still working. All season not one word from the club about us getting games on. Just thought I'd let you know that we are the same as the players and coaches with the 50% wages. Plus we are actually working our 50% to make sure the park is ready when we kick a ball again. I don't really care anymore if anyone has a problem with this

Players and management at League One rivals Dumbarton are taking a 50% deferral on wages until further notice.

The agreement at the part-time Sons will be honoured for all, including those with contracts due to expire.

The place is in shut down but two guys are still working. All season not one word from the club about us getting games on. Just thought I'd let you know that we are the same as the players and coaches with the 50% wages. Plus we are actually working our 50% to make sure the park is ready when we kick a ball again. I don't really care anymore if anyone has a problem with this
Doing an excellent job, people like you are the unseen heroes at clubs across the lower leagues.

I see the club have now launched a fundraising appeal:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/dumbarton-fc-sos

Individual choice of course but hopefully fans feel able to contribute. We need to pull together and do what we can as a support to help the club through. Hopefully the recent government announcement also helps.

As for the football, I’ve resorted to buying Football Manager for the first time in 10 years to get my fix!!

45 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

I see the club have now launched a fundraising appeal:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/dumbarton-fc-sos

Individual choice of course but hopefully fans feel able to contribute. We need to pull together and do what we can as a support to help the club through. Hopefully the recent government announcement also helps.

As for the football, I’ve resorted to buying Football Manager for the first time in 10 years to get my fix!!

A really impressive amount raised so far, if we can get to 10k that will be a massive boost.

I hope you never paid for it, they are giving it away for free just now!

17 hours ago, aftershocker said:

There's a reason that this didn't go up on the Lennox website (yet).

It's nothing serious, and I'm not wanting to be a cryptic ITK weirdo. But we won't know for sure if that's gone ahead until today. The Beeb jumped the gun.