Sons' sorrow

I think last Saturday simply reinforces the point we're going to seriously struggle until at least one of McKee, Hutton and Layne are back and up to speed. That said the upcoming week is the most important of our season. We have to eke out points somehow.

On Duffy, it's too early to pull the trigger but I say that with the benefit of having not travelled to all of Falkirk, Aberdeen, Peterhead, East Fife and Montrose in recent weeks. That's a lot of miles covered for f**k all return and would test the patience of any fan.

15 hours ago, FifeSons said:

No idea, I only saw it shared on Twitter by Arbroath's account. I can't imagine the sample size for our fan-base was very big.

Aye, that was my initial thought. I certainly didn't fill in any survey and I haven't seen it mentioned until now, so I imagine the ratings are fairly vague/inaccurate. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the true rating figure wasn't much higher than that - a lot of fans won't like this board for the Aitken and relegation seasons, those same folk will believe the board aren't backing Duffy with funds too.

15 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

You had me in tears a few times too Stevie....Bonnyrigg h&a, squeezing past Spartans on penalties, the 4-6-0 formation away to St Mirren, Alloa, shitfesting the Fizzy Juice Final...

20200218_110220.thumb.jpg.b9eafbe476c0868610140c120699492b.jpg

'I thought being back in League one might help the finances a wee bit...'

tenor.gif

I don't hold any ill will towards Aitken. It's a shame that things didn't work out and I hope that he can get back into football somewhere. It clearly wasn't working. Our relegation season was poor beyond the cup run and the Allow playoff game was garbage. The squad he built following relegation was nowhere near good enough. He did face injury problems and that was a factor. Part of the problem was the small squad he built. Loy was an absolute bust and cost us big time. Andy Graham has showed him that he got that particular decision wrong. Shipping a 2-0 lead in 20 minutes or so in Brechin was probably the end of him. His comments after he left were really poor. Blaming a few individuals was ill judged and the individuals he suggested were to blame fell way off target. That won't have done him any favours within football.

It's a shame how things worked out. Unfortunately he built an expensive (by our standards) squad that wasn't suited to league 1 football and we we're showing nothing to have any confidence in. The decision to bring in Duffy might have saved our season but it hasn't been the unmitigated success that we'd all want. Aitken did a lot of damage to the club and within the support and there was a lot of really unfair and down right nasty stuff from some people that helped nobody. Not from Aitken himself, although the comments about fans having certain director's ear was both unjustified and unacceptable. It's taken a lot of time and effort to move on and I don't know if fans have fully done that yet given that the Aitken tenure still provokes strong feelings.