Sons' sorrow

The club Twitter asking about first scorers of calendar years got me thinking about goal droughts after new year. It took us 315 minutes of football before we scored our first of 2020. We got our first in 2018 after 282 minutes. You have to go back to 1928 to find a longer spell without a goal than 2020.

Since Layne got injured we have played 6, won 1, drawn 1 and lost 4. I think we miss him more than we realise.

Jones had a good debut but he was beyond bad yesterday. Proper dreadful. That included him actually chucking it at one point and putting in a half hearted effort to get to the ball before the opposition player.

Duffy's decision to start McCluskey over Crossan is ridiculous. I'm not a huge fan of Crossan but he's a far, far superior option to McCluskey.

As for the notion that Wadrop will easily be as good, if not better than Tumilty... I think we can file that one under no contest. Not even a debate to be had.

FWIW Hutton is supposedly out for 4 weeks.

Since Layne got injured we have played 6, won 1, drawn 1 and lost 4. I think we miss him more than we realise.

Jones had a good debut but he was beyond bad yesterday. Proper dreadful. That included him actually chucking it at one point and putting in a half hearted effort to get to the ball before the opposition player.

Duffy's decision to start McCluskey over Crossan is ridiculous. I'm not a huge fan of Crossan but he's a far, far superior option to McCluskey.

As for the notion that Wadrop will easily be as good, if not better than Tumilty... I think we can file that one under no contest. Not even a debate to be had.

Whilst that was a grim watch yesterday, the weather probably gained us a point. And on the evidence of the last two games every point will become precious.

If the news about Hutton is true then that is a real blow; whilst I've been highly critical in the past to say the least, his performances and presence this season have been excellent. With McKee breaking down pre-match for the second time (?), that midfield yesterday was scarily weak - we will not get away with it on any regular basis.

It's Sod's Law with the injuries, and we really need to just scrap away and maintain the commitment, but it won't be pretty.

Started to play a bit better when we put Jai wide left. Seemed keen to work back and help Rico.

But what does Duffy do, Jai off, Crossan on up top and pushes Jones wide left. f**k me.

He swapped them back near the end but it was far too late. McCluskey should have been the sub - horrible player, done nothing all season.

Missed Hutton and McKee. Forbes was anonymous.

I know there was some praise that we managed to boost squad in window.

question was Wilson a mistake. Other than going straight in v Aberdeen he seems to have taken up the Zata role in the squad.

surely he could have got a run out yesterday

Imo Wardrop appears less quick than last time. That’s understandable because often players are never as fast as they once were after injuring their ACL. Tumilty definitely gave us a lot more athleticism.

4 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Just checking this thread for a pulse.....

Don't know why everyone's not on here buzzing with excitement - if we win our next 4 games we're right back in the mix for the play-offs at the top! We're really good at stringing wins together too, can't understand the apathy.

3 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

How many points do we think we'll need to stay up?

I'll say 40. (actually, probably less. Forfar would need to match Falkirk's win rate to hit that).

I know it seems like we're close to this relegation fight, but I really don't think we'll be involved. Too many teams below us needing to better our points total and absolutely none of them are showing any consistency other than Stranraer consistently drawing matches. 40 will be more than enough IMO, so 4 more wins will do us (and we've got 3 of the teams below us at home left to play).

I reserve the right to delete this comment should we lose our next 4 matches.

I know it seems like we're close to this relegation fight, but I really don't think we'll be involved. Too many teams below us needing to better our points total and absolutely none of them are showing any consistency other than Stranraer consistently drawing matches. 40 will be more than enough IMO, so 4 more wins will do us (and we've got 3 of the teams below us at home left to play).
I reserve the right to delete this comment should we lose our next 4 matches.
Straight question Monster - have you seen us play recently ? I know we don't want to fire cheap shots or wallow in negativity but I'm really struggling to work out where wins are coming from right now. Especially if we are forced to persevere with a midfield permed from Carswell/Langan/McLuskey/Forbes/Zata.