Sons' sorrow

He's a funny one, because regardless of where he's been deployed in the team (defensive mid, centre forward, right wing, left wing, centre midfield) I always feel more confident when his name is on the team sheet. I'd sign him up for next season in a heartbeat, a cracking talent and has stepped up from Junior football very well indeed.

I fucking love Garry Fleming.

If it wasn't for his injuries he'd be up there with Lister and Turner for my PotY choice. He, Lister and maybe Shay were the only players worthy of praise during our disastrous early season.

He's impressed me everywhere he's played. He might be raw but he's also very, very poised in possession. We're lucky to have him and I'd be gutted if he were to leave.

The part-time/full-time debate is always an intereting one. If you're in full-time employement and playing part-time football, would you be willing to give up your FT job (given the current climate) for a full-time football contract over say 2-years? I wouldn't. The financial security offered if your lucky enough to have good career prospects is far better than a temporary football contract.

That said, if Man City offered me £40k a week I'd need to consider it ;)

McGinn has been excellent. Solid defensively and a real threat going forward. Has had numerous assists and scored a cracker against Hamilton away.

I'd like to see him given a chance at St Mirren next season, but if not I reckon he could find a full time deal elsewhere without too much trouble.

McGinn has been excellent. Solid defensively and a real threat going forward. Has had numerous assists and scored a cracker against Hamilton away.

I'd like to see him given a chance at St Mirren next season, but if not I reckon he could find a full time deal elsewhere without too much trouble.

Thats great to hear! :thumsup2 Hope he gets a chance with us next year aswell. Maybe we'll get to see him pre season.

McGinn has been excellent for us since joining and his injury really affected our form. His forward running and delivery is excellent and as BBPF mentions scored a very well taken goal at Hamilton.

What has impressed me more though is his ability to cover for his centre backs from crosses and open play, he has made numerous timely blocks and interceptions already, that is usually something that comes with experience and age with a full back but he is already very good at it. Can't see any reason why he wouldn't be given a chance at St Mirren next season, he's certainly not far of Van Zanten in terms of ability in my opinion.

As others have said too, I'd love to keep Garry Fleming, and wouldn't begrudge him a move full-time should it come along. He's had an excellent first season with us, albeit hampered with a few injuries along the way. But his effort and industry are superb assets for us, not to mention of course that he has genuine quality and can cover a number of positions. I'd really like the likes of him, Turner and Lister (please!) to stay on next season, as they'd be a very solid base to our side for next season.

On McGinn, I can also only echo what's been said already. He's filled a major hole at right-back since he's come in and and is streets ahead of Nicky Devlin before him, who, unfortunately this season while on loan, looked a shadow of the player he was when he was with us before his move to Motherwell.

McGinn has pace, good positional sense, is a solid tackler, and as has been mentioned, his overlapping and deliveries are excellent. I've been very impressed with him in his short time, and while he'll most likely not return to us next season, I'd like to see him given a crack at the SPL with St.Mirren.

totally agree , gary fleming has loads of potential and would benefit big time with full time training at a full time club . there is no reason he couldn't play premier division football with the likes of thistle , st Mirren ect . having moved up from junior football I think he has done superb in the 1st division . would love him to stay but would not grudge him a move to full time football having a young family to look after...

gaz give us another couple of goals against Airdrie please.............................

How has Scott Smith played while with you guys, has he had much game time?

He had a great start for us at left-back, which is clearly his best position.He's solid in the tackle and his positioning is good too. He's shown similar competence at centre-half too.He played in central midfield against Thistle and looked out of place to be fair, and more recently he's been shoe-horned into right-back where he's done ok. His being so left-footed as he is doesn't do him many favours on that side, but he's got decent potential and could make a decent left-back given game time, good experience and a bit of luck.

How has Scott Smith played while with you guys, has he had much game time?

Started every game he has been fit for.

Good solid left back, strong tackler, great in the air for his size, pretty slow, but his good positioning makes up for it. He has also played a number of games at centre back and two at right back, where he has also impressed, his lack of pace more obvious at centre back though.

In my opinion he is/will be a good/ very good First Division player. However I hope I am proved wrong and he goes on to have a successful career at Hibs.