Sons' sorrow

4 hours ago, super-son said:

Sam Wardrop?? 

Really? He was a solid enough player but by no means a stand out for me anyway.

I thought Wardrop was immense for us.

Injury robbed us of seeing just how good he could have been but when him and McLaughlin were both fit at the start of that season we were flying.

Number 1 has to be Sam Stanton for me with Dom Thomas coming a close second.

There was just something about Stanton when he was placed along side Carsy. Every time he touched the ball he was running at the opposition causing panic.

Him and Stirling in the team are fond memories of mine.

5 minutes ago, PWL said:

Joe McLeod. 

(Ask your parents kids)

Cracking loan signing, was great for us, but developed into a Bobby Barr style hate figure in the lower league game as the years went by.

I was delighted when he was part of the Stirling side we demolished at Forthbank in the promotion decider in the 90's. Especially when he had to go off injured.

Stanton was good for us but was surrounded by other good quality players. In terms of recent times the best loan signing for me would be Thomas, simply due to the impact he had on an otherwise struggling side.

Going further back I’d have Dobbie up there. I remember him putting one in off the post from a tight angle and thinking how ridiculous the technique (low first time hit) and accuracy was to get it in from the position he was in. Top player.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
35 minutes ago, FifeSons said:
Signing Dobbie on loan was probably the best bit of business in Scottish football history.

For both Dumbarton and the player!

Absolutely. If we'd been able to keep him until the end of the season, I'm certain we'd have at least been in the play-offs.

Actually, looking at the table for that season, the points required for the play-offs was incredibly high.