Do we think the current crop are worse than the team McCabe left us with in 2007? That's the worst Sons team I can recall in my lifetime. I'm sure there were some awful ones in the late 90's, but I'm not old enough to remember just how bad they were.

12 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Do we think the current crop are worse than the team McCabe left us with in 2007? That's the worst Sons team I can recall in my lifetime. I'm sure there were some awful ones in the late 90's, but I'm not old enough to remember just how bad they were.

I would say this team are right up (or down) there with some of the worst Sons sides.

I have seen us outclassed in the Scottish Premier League in the 1980s but we at least put up a fight.

The last days at Boghead/Cliftonhill were awful though, don't think we won a game for months on end.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

.  It is a lifetime worst for some of us, made all the worse by the genuine but patronising sympathy being extended by opposition fans.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

I'll see your offerings, and raise you the Sons teams from either the Jim George era or Jim Fallon era.

Oh wait, managers called Jim....

51 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

I would say this team are right up (or down) there with some of the worst Sons sides.

I have seen us outclassed in the Scottish Premier League in the 1980s but we at least put up a fight.

The last days at Boghead/Cliftonhill were awful though, don't think we won a game for months on end.

Were we not quite unfortunate to be relegated? I'm sure it was something harsh like two teams going down automatically in a ten team league, where we finished 9th.

7 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I'll see your offerings, and raise you the Sons teams from either the Jim George era or Jim Fallon era.

Don't forget Jim Clark (Caretaker Manager)!

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

At least Jim Duffy didn't try and hide behind any managerial clichés or look for excuses.  However, it goes far, far beyond issues of players' confidence and responsibility and the brutal fact is that several current Dumbarton players are not of senior quality, and to be honest I wonder how some of them ever arrived there.  What we are witnessing this season is beyond bad and cannot be explained away by loss of form, tactics, or any of the other 'normal' variables.  It is a lifetime worst for some of us, made all the worse by the genuine but patronising sympathy being extended by opposition fans.

Tbf, I'll take that over absolute diddies like EF, who haven't achieved anything of note in decades, sticking the boot in.

Edited by FifeSons

5 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Were we not quite unfortunate to be relegated? I'm sure it was something harsh like two teams going down automatically in a ten team league, where we finished 9th.

It was the first, and possibly only time, that the 2 promoted teams went back down again.

As for being unfortunate, not really, both us and Morton were pretty far behind the rest of the pack, even a monumentally rank Hibs team that we rogered once (maybe twice).

6 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

The Fallon team wasn't actually a bad team. Most of them had performed admirably two years beforehand when we were relegated from the old 1st division by finishing fifth from bottom and of course, we bounced back immediately. It was possibly time for a clearout of that squad due to their age but Fallon didn't do anything and after a few defeats, confidence dropped. It eventually hit rock bottom and that was down to the manager not being able to motivate them. That team had MacFarlane, Gow, Marsland, Martin, Melvin, Meechan, Ward, Mooney and Gibson. I genuinely can't think of those guys and not remember them fondly.

The George era was horrendous.

4 minutes ago, microdave said:

The Fallon team wasn't actually a bad team. Most of them had performed admirably two years beforehand when we were relegated from the old 1st division by finishing fifth from bottom and of course, we bounced back immediately. It was possibly time for a clearout of that squad due to their age but Fallon didn't do anything and after a few defeats, confidence dropped. It eventually hit rock bottom and that was down to the manager not being able to motivate them. That team had MacFarlane, Gow, Marsland, Martin, Melvin, Meechan, Ward, Mooney and Gibson. I genuinely can't think of those guys and not remember them fondly.

Yeah, true.

If you Google "lost the dressing room", you get a picture of Jim Fallon. 

9 minutes ago, microdave said:

Theyb were a great team with a horrendous manager.They were the backbone of the 91/92 season onwards.I have many happy memories of those players.I do NOT hold them responsible for95/96.

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

1999-2000, The Sons won a game in every month...just. Good luck with this revival job, sounds ugly right now.

On 11/08/2019 at 13:11, Kenny Ashwood said:

Excuse my ignorance,but who is the “third party” mentioned regarding the budget deficit etc?.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" might be relevant here.

Jim Chapman, won the third division with a quality side.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" might be relevant here.

Willing to bet it's Rankine with a sizeable interest getting land on the cheap.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

1999-2000, The Sons won a game in every month...just. Good luck with this revival job, sounds ugly right now.

We only won 1 League match in nearly 4 months while we used Cliftonhill TxRover.

1-0 v Montrose in November, in front of 238 souls, although we did also beat Albion Rovers in August as the 'away' side.  😀

57 minutes ago, albundy said:
2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Jim Chapman, won the third division with a quality side.

Stop ruining my poorly thought out generalisations 😉

after preseason I though the team needed a right full back and a strong striker..... I still think the same

neill and mcgeever are too slow, maybe mcmillan/crawford and one of then with another RB will be better

a strong striker who wait the ball for second line (mckee, crossan, tierney or mccluskey) must be imprescindible

but the money is the money

after all, probably dons has played against the 2 better teams of the league.... a little patient....

1 hour ago, albundy said:

Willing to bet it's Rankine with a sizeable interest getting land on the cheap.

It isn't. 

Not going to break any confidences but it isn't Rankine.