Sons' sorrow

The Dumbarton team that caused us so many problems in the Championship seems a long time ago now. Sorry state and truly one of the poorest performances I’ve seen from any team at Falkirk.

Sounds bleak off the park too. Hopefully the club can pick itself back up (although not to the extent of beating us again).

3 hours ago, Frank conner said:

Dumbarton are the next Berwick rangers imo.

^^^ Howling at the moon.

3 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Image result for patrick bateman pout

So solly, dude. Shipping 5 to a far worse outfit than Falkirk disqualifies you from dishing out Bateman gifs.

1 hour ago, sirscottyoung said:

In the lowland league by the sounds of it

^^^ Scrambling for relevance.

5 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Why is the money situation so bad? Maybe being totally dense but I'd have thought being in the Championship for several years would have been financially rewarding for the club?

I wouldn't expect a bottomless pit of funds but bigger crowds and bigger prize money surely helped?

Piss poor financial management by the previous board means we've spunked that money away.

6 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Dumbarton FC - a pointless club, in more ways than one.

Animated GIF

I must admit, I find it fairly bizzare that a supporter of a team who have been an utter irrelevence to us for the best part of a decade seems to be getting some sort of pleasure out of our current situation.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose but I certainly don't recall any Sons fans sticking the boot in when you were floundering at the arse end of League 2. 

12 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Sure we are struggling financially, but check two sentences in the attached extract from the recently-published DFC accounts.  Unless my eyes are deceiving me there was actually an increased playing budget for season 2019/20 which I think should be well worth bearing in mind right now, and secondly, check out that last sentence from the Auditors - that is only going to end one way under the present ownership.

DFC Accounts Extract.png

I'm not sure that it says the budget has been increased from last season, it more infers that they started with a very low budget for 2019-2020 and that it has been increased as a result of the commitment from the third party. The third party has also underwritten two loans to former directors (the guts of £100k I understand). I could be wrong but it would seem likely that the negotiations with, and contribution from the third party could explain the late submission of accounts. They were two months late and it may be that without agreement from the third party, the club would have been insolvent. It is illegal for an insolvent company to continue to trade and to accumulate more debt.  The problem in all this is that although the accounts give a snapshot, without a profit and loss account, we don't really know what the going concern situation is. There is however a very simple rule of thumb here and that is if a company's assets are worth more that the company is as a going concern , then that company's continuation is uncertain. None of this is the fault of either Jim Duffy or John Steele. Both would appear to be undertaking an almost impossible task in very difficult circumstances.

I'm not sure that it says the budget has been increased from last season, it more infers that they started with a very low budget for 2019-2020 and that it has been increased as a result of the commitment from the third party. The third party has also underwritten two loans to former directors (the guts of £100k I understand). I could be wrong but it would seem likely that the negotiations with, and contribution from the third party could explain the late submission of accounts. They were two months late and it may be that without agreement from the third party, the club would have been insolvent. It is illegal for an insolvent company to continue to trade and to accumulate more debt.  The problem in all this is that although the accounts give a snapshot, without a profit and loss account, we don't really know what the going concern situation is. There is however a very simple rule of thumb here and that is if a company's assets are worth more that the company is as a going concern , then that company's continuation is uncertain. None of this is the fault of either Jim Duffy or John Steele. Both would appear to be undertaking an almost impossible task in very difficult circumstances.
In what way is Jim Duffy's task impossible? He's admitted himself he doesn't have the smallest budget in the league. Leaving all the politics aside, Jim Duffy has been allocated a budget (that his bigger than his predecessor and bigger than other teams in this league) and he has signed a bunch of nobodys from the juniors and exit trials.

Lets not try and make out like Duffy is some sort of poor victim here. He should be hounded for the mess he's made.

Why is the money situation so bad? Maybe being totally dense but I'd have thought being in the Championship for several years would have been financially rewarding for the club?
I wouldn't expect a bottomless pit of funds but bigger crowds and bigger prize money surely helped?
You are not being dense, but applying logic to the affairs of DFC is mistaken. It would take a very long post indeed, or even a Louis Theroux documentary to begin to explain it.

Absentee owners, secretive loans and accounting, control freakery, ghastly PR and rickety management and oversight would feature prominently.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

In what way is Jim Duffy's task impossible? He's admitted himself he doesn't have the smallest budget in the league. Leaving all the politics aside, Jim Duffy has been allocated a budget (that his bigger than his predecessor and bigger than other teams in this league) and he has signed a bunch of nobodys from the juniors and exit trials.

Lets not try and make out like Duffy is some sort of poor victim here. He should be hounded for the mess he's made.

These are all assumptions and hearsay. I would be interested to know at what stage tha budget was increased and by how much. Also I'd be interested how it actually compared to last season.  

But hey! yeah! let's hound Duffy that'll make it all better.

I tend to agree with Wilf with regards Duffy and Steele.

We all complained that Duffy wasnt putting a squad together and that some of the players being signed weren't proven or experienced.

It now seems that Duffy had a smaller budget at that time.