Sons' sorrow

Thought last nights defensive display was a definite improvement, even though we had 9 or 10 players back most of the game. There were definitely fewer mistakes made anyway. I would also keep Pettigrew in goals as he looked a lot more comfortable and didn't do much wrong. Nothing happened going forward at all but I'm happy using Motherwell as a good defensive training exercise to try and tighten thing up a bit. Although I hope we won't be defending with everyone behind the ball when the league comes around.

Good to see Layne get a run out despite the OS informing us that he was injured in the match preview. Good to know that hes not perma-crocked like Loy and might be capable of actually playing.

13 hours ago, optimistic said:

And that thank you message near the end, emoji85.png

No hot food, Coca Cola, at half time emoji85.png

No charge for the car park emoji85.png

No 50/50 emoji85.png

Maybe we’re not skint emoji849.png

I'm going to guess that the catering folks didn't bet on over 1,000 Motherwell fans showing up for a dead rubber.

You're complaining about not being charged for parking? :lol: Come on you.

Don't think we do 50/50 for League Cup games.

We're definitely skint, if you've got some change left over that the club never fleeced from you last night I'm sure they'll be happy to take it as a donation.

Thought last nights defensive display was a definite improvement, even though we had 9 or 10 players back most of the game. There were definitely fewer mistakes made anyway. I would also keep Pettigrew in goals as he looked a lot more comfortable and didn't do much wrong. Nothing happened going forward at all but I'm happy using Motherwell as a good defensive training exercise to try and tighten thing up a bit. Although I hope we won't be defending with everyone behind the ball when the league comes around.
Good to see Layne get a run out despite the OS informing us that he was injured in the match preview. Good to know that hes not perma-crocked like Loy and might be capable of actually playing.

I wasn't there last night for precisely the reasons you mention - 36 quid in seven days to watch one-way traffic was not on.

As regards the league it's quite simple; as the squad stands the margins of defeat will be less but the defeats will soon mount up.

IMO the current team needs at least 4 additions pronto to just compete. I'd be totally horrified if the squad we have has exhausted Duffy's budget.

I'm going to guess that the catering folks didn't bet on over 1,000 Motherwell fans showing up for a dead rubber.
We're definitely skint, if you've got some change left over that the club never fleeced from you last night I'm sure they'll be happy to take it as a donation.

Think its more the “lost” revenue from car parking charge thats he getting at, could have been a decent amount of money considering we where expecting a decent away crowd.

Anyway thats in the past. Lets move on..

22 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

Think its more the “lost” revenue from car parking charge thats he getting at, could have been a decent amount of money considering we where expecting a decent away crowd.

Anyway thats in the past. Lets move on..

It's a strange situation though, a few pages ago we had folk saying that fans don't want to be fleeced and they feel they're constantly being asked to fork out money for this or that. Others now disappointed that they've not been able to pay £3 to park their car. It's not a big issue, I agree, but sometimes the club is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

It's a strange situation though, a few pages ago we had folk saying that fans don't want to be fleeced and they feel they're constantly being asked to fork out money for this or that. Others now disappointed that they've not been able to pay £3 to park their car. It's not a big issue, I agree, but sometimes the club is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Is it 3 quid to park your car?? !! Christ!! I thought it was a quid.

Its certainly not a big issue. I agree the club do seem to be dammed if they do or dammed or they don’t Im the first one to point out the negatives. ( im a pessimist by nature i cant help it)

At times i do think the club often shoot themselves in the foot with the simpler things.

1 minute ago, RGD89 said:

Is it 3 quid to park your car?? !! Christ!! I thought it was a quid.

Its certainly not a big issue. I agree the club do seem to be dammed if they do or dammed or they don’t Im the first one to point out the negatives. ( im a pessimist by nature i cant help it)

At times i do think the club often shoot themselves in the foot with the simpler things.

£3 this season, I believe.

£3 to park your car is great value IMO. Plenty places to park tour car in surrounding areas if your a cheap skate. If you must get tour car in the car park for whatever reason (I am aware some have medical reasons etc) then £3 is perfectly good value. I always thought £1 plus giving a free 50/50 draw ticket was far too generous. Our land, we should be making money from it regardless of whether people think its fleecing or not. I dont take my car as I enjoy a beer/I'm also a cheepskate.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I can explain the lack of half time draw. I wasn't there to run it last night. Early start this morning so I missed the football. 

Another reason why I need some volunteers for the half time draw. 

I do agree that the club are damned if they do and damned if they don’t at times, although they don’t help themselves sometimes.

No consultation or survey with the fans regarding the strip, resulting in a bogging kit that very few like or will buy, thus costing the club some much needed income.

Making bold statements regarding our aims and aspirations for the season ahead, thus giving fans certain expectations and then signing largely jobbers or young lads which then disappoints fans from the get go.

Apparently blocking a fan on social media because he voiced his opinion (if it was abuse or threats absolutely fair enough). But from what the guy who posted it says, he disagreed with something. So for him to be blocked and as a result he now doesn’t want to buy a season ticket or merchandise etc is a huge boob from the club which could easily have been avoided.

At a time when funds are extremely tight, when people expect to pay for parking anyway, and a larger than usual crowd expected from our opposition, we don’t take advantage and charge for parking which would have boosted the bank albeit only slightly.

All of these are easy to avoid/appease but we don’t make it easy for ourselves. It’s a bit concerning that these things happen and there doesn’t seem to be a sensible/PR savvy person around to oversee such things and see what would be best for the club, rather than just rushing headlong into statements/decisions which really do the club no favours whatsoever.

1 hour ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

No consultation or survey with the fans regarding the strip, resulting in a bogging kit that very few like or will buy, thus costing the club some much needed income.

It seemed to me last night that there are already more fans wearing the new strip than there were last year. Maybe it's simply because the new strip stands out like a sore thumb but I was surprised at how many were wearing it. Also, many fans won't buy the new strip because they bought the old strips that were put on sale towards the end of last season. 

PS: I suspect most neutral fans who may have seen footage of last night's match would've got the teams mixed up due the similarity of Motherwell's away strip and many Dumbarton strips over the years.

It seemed to me last night that there are already more fans wearing the new strip than there were last year. Maybe it's simply because the new strip stands out like a sore thumb but I was surprised at how many were wearing it. Also, many fans won't buy the new strip because they bought the old strips that were put on sale towards the end of last season. 
PS: I suspect most neutral fans who may have seen footage of last night's match would've got the teams mixed up due the similarity of Motherwell's away strip and many Dumbarton strips over the years.
I'm not neutral but the Motherwell strip confused me a few times early in the match. I reckon if they'd scored in the first ten minutes, I would've cheered. Thankfully I'd got used to it by the time they did to save myself from any embarrassment.

19 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Are fans ever normally consulted on the design of their shirts? I've been following Stenhousemuir for 15 years now and other than picking a design for some low-quality third kit, the supporters have never been asked for their input. Nor should they.

It sounds as though you're just looking for reasons to complain, "DumbartonTheSons"!