Sons' sorrow

3 hours ago, Sanity check needed. said:

A months contract was what was stated on club's Twitter and in interviews with manager

It says "short term', which is also what McKinnon says in the interview, albeit he implies a decision on what yo do next with him will be taken after a month.

Fact remains SPFL rules state the minimum contract length for a professional player is to first day of next transfer window. Right now thats 1st January.

It is conceivable however that they have contracted him to January but included some sort of cancelation option clause after a month. They could have got creative that way. 

It says "short term', which is also what McKinnon says in the interview, albeit he implies a decision on what yo do next with him will be taken after a month.
Fact remains SPFL rules state the minimum contract length for a professional player is to first day of next transfer window. Right now thats 1st January.
It is conceivable however that they have contracted him to January but included some sort of cancelation option clause after a month. They could have got creative that way. 
He wouldn't be able to sign for anyone else until Jan 1st though? Am I right? If so seems a bit pointless.

10 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Ooft, was useless at Peterhead.  He may have improved but he couldn't direct a header when he was with us.  Not so much a fifty pence piece more a icosahedron.

I think we may have even cut short his loan spell.

Edited by strichener

Ooft, was useless at Peterhead.  He may have improved but he couldn't direct a header when he was with us.  Not so much a fifty pence piece more a icosahedron.
To be fair, it was about 6 years ago when he was 18 or something. He's played a lot of first team football since then and by all accounts he was rated at Queens Park.

45 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:
7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He wouldn't be able to sign for anyone else until Jan 1st though? Am I right? If so seems a bit pointless.

If he is released before the window closes at the end od August he could sign for someone else immediately.

But tgat would be his two clubs for the season already. So would need to stay with 2nd club all year or drop below SPFL if that move didnt work.

25 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
49 minutes ago, strichener said:

To be fair, it was about 6 years ago when he was 18 or something. He's played a lot of first team football since then and by all accounts he was rated at Queens Park.

He really hasn't played a "lot" of first team football.  He has played an average of something like 20 games a year since he was at QP although I am sure he saw plenty of activity at Brechin as they fell down the leagues.

Edited by strichener

Thanks for that thought it was a bit strange might just be something in the contract about improving fitness after a month.

He really hasn't played a "lot" of first team football.  He has played an average of something like 20 games a year since he was at QP although I am sure he saw plenty of activity at Brechin as they fell down the leagues.

He's made 125 professional appearances since he left you. That's a lot of first team football whether you want to admit it or not. He made 9 appearances for Peterhead (and scored 2 goals), at the age of 19, with 7 professional appearances to his name.

Forgive me for not judging him on the opinion of some teuchter no mark, who is basing that opinion on 9 appearances he made 6 years ago when he was hugely inexperienced.

14 minutes ago, strichener said:

Since he left Peterhead he's played 125 games of senior football. When he signed for Peterhead he had played eight, two of which came as a sub.

I think it's safe to assume that he might be a different player now at 25 and having been Queen's Park captain at 22/23 than he was as a 19 year-old loan player at Balmoor.

Edit: Notice he was also in the League One TOTY in 2016-17, alongside such lower league legends as Andy Graham, Neil Parry and Jordan Kirkpatrick. We'll gloss over the fact Jonathan Page was in there...

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He's made 125 professional appearences since he left you. That's a lot of first team football whether you want to admit it or not. He made 9 appearences for Peterhead (and scored 2 goals), at the age of 19, with 7 professional appearences to his name.

Forgive me for not judging him on the opinion of some teuchter no mark, who is basing that opinion on 9 appearences he made 6 years ago when he was hugely inexperienced.

Dang. You beat me by literally seconds.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He's made 125 professional appearences since he left you. That's a lot of first team football whether you want to admit it or not. He made 9 appearences for Peterhead (and scored 2 goals), at the age of 19, with 7 professional appearences to his name.

Forgive me for not judging him on the opinion of some teuchter no mark, who is basing that opinion on 9 appearences he made 6 years ago when he was hugely inexperienced.

4 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Since he left Peterhead he's played 125 games of senior football. When he signed for Peterhead he had played eight, two of which came as a sub.

I think it's safe to assume that he might be a different player now at 25 and having been Queen's Park captain at 22/23 than he was as a 19 year-old loan player at Balmoor.

Well at least there is some harmony at your club.  Probably glad of any signings at the moment.

Let's see how the guy pans out for you.  At least he has experience of playing at the lower end of the leagues although granted that would only have been with about 100 of his appearances. :P

Our signings on paper have not been great. I will however give them a chance to see what they are like for us. Under Aitken we made some signings which should have been great for us but the chemistry/balance just wasn't there. The team will take time to gel (like others) but with an experience head like Duffy at the helm I have some faith that he knows what he's doing*

*Come back and ask me 5 games in, 5 4-0 defeats and we look like a shower and I'm sure my view will have changed.

Just now, albundy said:

Our signings on paper have not been great. I will however give them a chance to see what they are like for us. Under Aitken we made some signings which should have been great for us but the chemistry/balance just wasn't there. The team will take time to gel (like others) but with an experience head like Duffy at the helm I have some faith that he knows what he's doing*

*Come back and ask me 5 games in, 5 4-0 defeats and we look like a shower and I'm sure my view will have changed.

I think its all we can do.We certainly do not have world beaters ..its up to Duffy to get the team playing well and gel as a unit.We honestly cannot judge them during these 4 cup tie friendlies.Its the bread and butter that will determine where we are ....probably up until the first quarter of the season.

Realistically we cant expect much and the whole 'top 4' thing was to get people excited and buying STs.Thats all.Survival will be a major achievement this year.Its a strong League and other than ourselves i cant see any side that is really weak. Stranraer and Airdrie have recruited well..Peterhead AND Montrose have established squads  while Forfar,Raith and Falkirk have very strong squads IMO.But despite it all im looking forward to the season starting and as always  stupidly optimistic.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Peterhead and Clyde fans sticking the boot in. That's how far we've fallen folks. 

Their average gates last season were bigger than ours.

The league below us and they had more fans. That's exactly how far we've fallen.

11 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Their average gates last season were bigger than ours.

The league below us and they had more fans. That's exactly how far we've fallen.

True but they were both going for promotion which adds extra to the gate while we were playing unwatchable football up until JD arrived.We were hard ly going to win many fans with those shit shows that SA seemed capable of having us produce.

2 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

True but they were both going for promotion which adds extra to the gate while we were playing unwatchable football up until JD arrived.We were hard ly going to win many fans with those shit shows that SA seemed capable of having us produce.

I'd have been happy keeping who we had, never mind bringing more folk through the gate.

People stop going to games for any number of reasons. I'll respect those reasons but it doesnt change the fact that the lower our crowds are then the less money we have available to spend. The less money we spend then the poorer our results are likely to be. Poorer results? More fans become bored with football and stay away.

At some point we need to either get more folk through the gates or face up to where this decline is going to take us. We need people to actually value Scottish football, to see it as something worth supporting and to get themselves out of the house, the pub, the bookies or whatever else they do on a Saturday afternoon and get along to a game.