Sons' sorrow

Just speculating here cause I need to believe there is something up his sleeve.

Do we think there is any chance that Duffy is keeping the best of his budget to get some high quality loans in for the league? 

Like everyone is saying it's clear he has zero ambition regarding the Betfred but maybe he's hoping he can get guys in for the league that had a similar impact (obviosuly won't be as big an impact) as DT. 

Just now, sarti pooh said:

Do we think there is any chance that Duffy is keeping the best of his budget to get some high quality loans in for the league? 

Like everyone is saying it's clear he has zero ambition regarding the Betfred but maybe he's hoping he can get guys in for the league that had a similar impact (obviosuly won't be as big an impact) as DT. 

I have faith in JD. I think he will have something. He's too experienced not to have some sort of plan. The betfred will just be a case of grinning and bearing it, get the gate money in and hit the loan market. 

As it stands we currently have 16 players signed. Realisticly how many more are likely to come in? 4?

Those 4 would really have to be absolute bumpers to improve the overall quality of our squad. If those 4 are loans then there is no guarantee how good they will be given they probably wont have played much, if any, first team football. As was mentioned above, our average squad age at the minute is just over 22, we're also seriously lacking in experience which probably wont come in the shape of loans.

I'd love to be able to have full confidence that Duffy is about to go and secure some serious quality that will suddenly have our squad looking like at least mid table contenders but I just dont.

1 hour ago, sarti pooh said:

My view all along is that Duffy is waiting for the better players who can't get a contract further up the chain to filter down. This always takes a while and you need strong nerves to sit it out and wait. Let's hope so.

Squad numbers released. Really pleased to see we're running with them again, looks far better than just 1-11 imo.

Interestingly no number seven yet...And what number has McKee worn throughout pre-season...Probably getting my hopes up, but...

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4090

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have Falkirk not given Denny Johnstone a one month contract?

Can't have. It would be against the rules. He may have signed to January with an option to release early if he's not made a target number of starts or something. That would be technically possible.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Realisticly the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I think you'd be hard pushed to find a part-time manager who welcomes the group stages. For part-time sides with small squads it's a huge inconvenience. For example we've only retained 3 of last seasons squad, that's a huge amount of new players to sign by the 2nd week in July.

That being said it's not like the Betfred Cup has come up and bitten us in the arse out of nowhere. We should be far better prepared than we are, whether we like the early start and lack of trialists or not.

The obvious solution would be to allow 2 or 3 trialists. It wont become the Irn Bru/Tunnocks Cup by allowing trialists. That cup is a shambles because of the teams involved, not because trialists can play. The fact we can play trialists in our league but not a cup that starts in the middle of July is just plain stupid. I don't mind the format of the Betfred Cup, but making it a bit easier for the part-time sides to bulk numbers wouldn't be too much to ask.

We retained 5 of last year's squad, including our reserve keeper. We're not exactly an awful lot different in terms of squad turnover.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Nobody is blaming anyone other than Duffy for us being in this situation, he's knwon the score and we're still scrambling, but go and ask every manager (full time sides included) if they'd like trialists to be allowed and I guarantee you it's an overwhelming yes.

Of course it is. Every manager in the World would like more opportunity to see players in a competitive situation before making decisions and avoid tieing themselves down to contracts. However the rules are what they are. The debate here wasn't really about Trialists anyway, it was about the Group stage being ridiculous and unfair to part time smaller sides which is entirely what they were designed not to be.

2 hours ago, the snudge said:

Do we need to register a set kit for the cup games with the SPFL prior to the games commencing or can we show up and play in whatever we like? 

You need to have a registered kit approved by the SPFL and agreed with the match officials for the game in advance.

3 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

I would have thought so.

Your match secretary will email the referee prior to the game with your choice of kit to ensure there is no clash with the opposition and funnily enough, the match officials.

Well... it is funny you should say that.

I'm going to say we should advise of the colours but I'm not convinced we won't just play in the kit we have played our friendlies in.

7981316-6541765-image-a-2_1546249633690.jpg