Sons' sorrow

17 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

On a serious note, what will happen if we can't register a team for the league cup by Monday?

Absolute diddy club.

I was being serious.........we would have to forfeit the games....3 nil reversal for each one

9 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

On a serious note, what will happen if we can't register a team for the league cup by Monday?

Absolute diddy club.

Just to clarify, I think this "registered by Monday" assumption is wide of the mark.  The League Cup starts next Friday night (as it did last year) and we registered Michael Paton on that day last year and he played in the match at Spartans, so unless something has changed we'll have until next Friday to get the bodies in. Still doesn't give us a great amount of time, but it's some more time than we thought.

And to be clear, we've always been an absolute diddy club.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Apparently we have until Friday but we'll struggle for that aswell IMO.

I'd imagine there would be a fine and some form of points deduction in the group.

If its Friday we can do it...for Monday nae chance

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Just to clarify, I think this "registered by Monday" assumption is wide of the mark.  The League Cup starts next Friday night (as it did last year) and we registered Michael Paton on that day last year and he played in the match at Spartans, so unless something has changed we'll have until next Friday to get the bodies in. Still doesn't give us a great amount of time, but it's some more time than we thought.

If it's next Friday then I'm viewing that as three windows to announce - tonight, next Tuesday and next Thursday.

True but at least we have been able to field a team - sometimes just and no more!

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You can sign a player on the morning of the match potentially and include him in the team, The requirement is that the SFA have cleared the registration and added him to the club's official list of players by kick off time (though in practice, if he's not there by the time you submit teamlines you'd be nuts to include him as they don't usually work Saturday afternoons).

It's perfectly possible to sign a player at 11am Saturday morning and play at 3pm though if the SFA have anyone in at Registrations that morning and it's a domestic registration (you'll never get international clearance in much less than 24 hours except maybe close to a deadline - I got it from Canada inside 5 mins on deadline day last August but it will usually take 24 to 72 hours depending on the Country).

Absolute diddy club.

As I said, i cant see the board allowing that to happen, the financial penalties would be horrendous. They must be aware of the situation. Even if it means signing a few amateurs on amateur contracts just to get through the league cup, they would not let us walk into a situation that is going to be financially damaging for the club, and if they did, well we deserve everything we get!
I dont believe JD has nothing in the pipeline whether he admits it or not.
Those who are denying we are in a critical situation here are just plain mad! We have no team, we have cancelled a friendly which would bring in money to fund said team! Even if we sign a number of player in the next few days the LC is going to be a shit show. The club aren't exactly selling this season to anyone who may be interested in coming along.

2 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

If it's next Friday then I'm viewing that as three windows to announce - tonight, next Tuesday and next Thursday.

True but at least we have been able to field a team - sometimes just and no more!

I don't think we're training our usual Tues-Thurs at the moment, we announced McMillan on Monday. Given the fear and loathing going on amongst Sons fans right now I expect the club will be announcing any signing before the ink is even dry on the contract.

I do believe we'll field a team, we're all just hoping that it resembles something slightly competitive and not Berwick Rangers 2018-19.

I don't think we're training our usual Tues-Thurs at the moment, we announced McMillan on Monday. Given the fear and loathing going on amongst Sons fans right now I expect the club will be announcing any signing before the ink is even dry on the contract.
I do believe we'll field a team, we're all just hoping that it resembles something slightly competitive and not Berwick Rangers 2018-19.
The problem we're looking at now is that the next week pretty much goes against everything Duffy has been saying about having to be patient. We now have a week to add a minimum of 6 players, and that's just to allow us to field a starting 11 with no outfield subs, so ideally it will be at least 8 or 9.

If we do manage it I'll be expecting a tidal wave of panic signed diddies with maybe 1 or 2 semi decent players at most. We could even be looking at having to waste a couple of loan slots, as generally (not always) the better loan players tend to arrive post Bedfred Cup.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The problem we're looking at now is that the next week pretty much goes against everything Duffy has been saying about having to be patient. We now have a week to add a minimum of 6 players, and that's just to allow us to field a starting 11 with no outfield subs, so ideally it will be at least 8 or 9.

If we do manage it I'll be expecting a tidal wave of panic signed diddies with maybe 1 or 2 semi decent players at most. We could even be looking at having to waste a couple of loan slots, as generally (not always) the better loan players tend to arrive post Bedfred Cup.

Will you not potentially be waiting for a number of players who fail to win contracts at full time clubs? We for instance have had 13 or 14 trialists in the last three weeks. We've signed a few of them (Lee Kilday, Dan Pybus, Lewis Kidd) and may yet sign the odd other one but there are going to be a few of them having to look to part time clubs by next week inevitably.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It could go the way of your last paragraph and that's a very real worry for me, but I'm hoping that we're just in the situation SD has outlined in his reply. There was a guy on the facebook page saying his pal was offered terms with us but is holding out for more money - if that money isn't forthcoming then he may well end up signing for us (only info given was that he started at Rangers and has been playing in the SPFL). It may be that guys like McKee and Wilkie (he was apparently close to signing for EK last week but that's not materialised either) are in the same boat.

I'm definitely worried, and I definitely wish Duffy was saying some more comforting things, but we just need to pray to Jim Lister that everything turns out okay.

Will you not potentially be waiting for a number of players who fail to win contracts at full time clubs? We for instance have had 13 or 14 trialists in the last three weeks. We've signed a few of them (Lee Kilday, Dan Pybus, Lewis Kidd) and may yet sign the odd other one but there are going to be a few of them having to look to part time clubs by next week inevitably.
I'd love it to turn out that way but based on the names we've been linked with/have been training with us (bar McKee and Wilkie) it doesn't look promising.

The ideal scenario is what you have described above but given the numbers we need we're pretty much guaranteed to have some diddies announced. If we had a squad of say 14 and were just waiting on the right players to become available I'd feel a lot more comfortable about the situation.

Having a swatch on here.  Quitongo, Burt, McKee, Flanagan i'd take.  No chance of any probably.

Wonder if Quitongos alleged assault on his Mrs is stopping him from getting a club, would fit in with our signing policy, go on Jim.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&land_id=190&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=2019&yt0=Show

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is exactly what I think Duffy is doing.

Hamilton, for example,  have a friendly coming up where they are lining up a number of trialists - they won't all win a contract but they then have to filter down through Championship and other full time teams consideration before they roll up at the Rock. Tight timings but you can get very good players by being patient.