Sons' sorrow

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We can't play any trialists in the League Cup so we'll need to sign enough bodies to field a team, with Loy and Layne injured we're currently at 8 bodies and two of them are keepers.  We simply NEED to do that much work in 2 weeks or Duffy and Hagi will be getting the boots on themselves.

Could we do 1 month long deals with amateurs and junior players? 

TBH im expecting about a squad of 15 for the LC fixtures...how that plays out God alone knows...hence the tankings vs WELL and QOS, MORTON ETC

Of the players muted on here i would welcome Wilkie, Finnie,Boyle and Mckee...the others i really no very little about.

Edited by lorenzo71

15 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Could we do 1 month long deals with amateurs and junior players? 

I'm not sure, I think contracts need to be at least until the next window now. Even if it were possible we'd still need to pay them, so it eats into the budget again. We'd be better off just signing players that will be part of the squad. By the sounds of it we've had the entirety of Scotland on trial, so whittling those down and picking a few of them is Duffy's task for the next 14 days.

The amount of guys who we have signed/being linked with that currently ply their trade in the juniors/lowland league seriously concerns me. Signed we have Tierney, McCluskey and Scullion and we're being linked with McMillan, Finnie, Bakar, Zata and I'm guessing Osei has been jobbing around some junior mob. I've also heard there are a few others at training from the juniors but don't have names.

I'm not saying it will happen but if we sign all the guys we are linked with that will be 8 players we're expecting to step up to League 1 football from either the juniors or the Lowland league. I mean if we were to compliment those 8 with proper quality it wouldn't be as big a concern but as it stands the only real quality we have is Carswell.

It's just baffling to me, I don't believe for a second we have a budget smaller than anyone else in the SPFL so I can only assume Duffy is choosing to go down this route. Guys like McKee I'd take in a second but I'm not remotely convinced by any of the other guys training with us.

I'm fully expecting a few loans but in all honesty if I was a Premiership or Championship squad with a good young prospect but I'd be taking one look at our squad and thinking f**k sending him there. A relegation battle and playing alongside junior standard players isn't really what they will be looking for to aid their youngsters development.

16 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The amount of guys who we have signed/being linked with that currently ply their trade in the juniors/lowland league seriously concerns me. Signed we have Tierney, McCluskey and Scullion and we're being linked with McMillan, Finnie, Bakar, Zata and I'm guessing Osei has been jobbing around some junior mob. I've also heard there are a few others at training from the juniors but don't have names.

I'm not saying it will happen but if we sign all the guys we are linked with that will be 8 players we're expecting to step up to League 1 football from either the juniors or the Lowland league. I mean if we were to compliment those 8 with proper quality it wouldn't be as big a concern but as it stands the only real quality we have is Carswell.

It's just baffling to me, I don't believe for a second we have a budget smaller than anyone else in the SPFL so I can only assume Duffy is choosing to go down this route. Guys like McKee I'd take in a second but I'm not remotely convinced by any of the other guys training with us.

I'm fully expecting a few loans but in all honesty if I was a Premiership or Championship squad with a good young prospect but I'd be taking one look at our squad and thinking f**k sending him there. A relegation battle and playing alongside junior standard players isn't really what they will be looking for to aid their youngsters development.

However it might also gurantee them first team football which is all the parent clubs care about.Im seriously looking for a silver lining. We've had guys who were on the scrapheap/juniors before and its worked out.Gary Fleming and Jordan Kirkpatrick spring to mind.There were others but cant recall them all just now.

However it might also gurantee them first team football which is all the parent clubs care about.Im seriously looking for a silver lining. We've had guys who were on the scrapheap/juniors before and its worked out.Gary Fleming and Jordan Kirkpatrick spring to mind.There were others but cant recall them all just now.
Lets be honest the success rate for players jumping up from the juniors is slim and to expect 8 of them to be up to scratch in one single seaaon is expecting miracles. We signed Kirkpatrick from Airdrie and he'd already made close to 50 senior appearences for them, Hamilton and Brechin so he's not really comparable, not to mention he was considered a decent Championship player, even back then.

Parent clubs will be looking at more than just games, unless it's a player they don't really care about. They want a squad of players and a manager they can learn from. We have the manager, we really, really don't have the squad.

6 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

The silver lining is having a club to support in the medium to long-term future. Albeit a seriously diminished one.

I observe our transfer activity so far this summer and conclude Duffy's challenge over the next couple of seasons is to keep us in the senior leagues. 

#topfour

26 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Osei was with us the season we lost out to Ayr on the last day. If I was to put it kindly, raw would be the best description of him I could come up with.

He's an English chap, was prolific for our development side but looked miles out of his depth in the first team and had zero tactical awareness. He got a bad injury towards the end of that season so I expect he might well have sat out last season altogether.

In fact, I think he played against you guys in the Challenge Cup quarter final that season. From memory he was hopeless that day as well.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

For every Garry Fleming there are about 8 Paul Maxwells though. Junior players need picked, a scattergun approach bringing those players to League 1 is asking for disaster. We need League 1 experience.

Yep...thats why Duffys role is so crucial...to identify and bring through the best he can.Its always a gamble though and you never really know how its gonna work.I remember Ronnie Macdonald having a similar situ at Clyde in the mid to late 90s and he did a great job in bringing basically juniors up to the then 1st Division(took about 4 players straight from Maryhill Juniors IIRC).

Aye its a longshot no doubt.

7 minutes ago, George Parr said:

I observe our transfer activity so far this summer and conclude Duffy's challenge over the next couple of seasons is to keep us in the senior leagues. 

Unless you go bust and a Sevco Sons forms in the Juniors it's impossible for Dumbarton to fall out of the senior leagues.

Edited by Jason King

9 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Osei was with us the season we lost out to Ayr on the last day. If I was to put it kindly, raw would be the best description of him I could come up with.

He's an English chap, was prolific for our development side but looked miles out of his depth in the first team and had zero tactical awareness. He got a bad injury towards the end of that season so I expect he might well have sat out last season altogether.

In fact, I think he played against you guys in the Challenge Cup quarter final that season. From memory he was hopeless that day as well.

I remember that day too, Osei got absolutely berated by someone (I think Davidson) and he just looked like a lost wee boy in a mans game.

Duffy certainly appears to be taking a punt on players with something to prove this season though, so I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him up.

The romantic in me would be pleased to see Jim taking a punt on Ryan Finnie. I honestly thought he'd go onto much bigger things after strolling into our first team before he turned 17, and putting in an outstanding showing in the playoff final in Paul Nugent's absence.

His career since then has properly nosedived though, and he's played a ridiculously low number of games for a ridiculously high number of clubs. There's 100% a player in there though, I'm still sure of it - and, assuming he's not on big money, he's worth a punt...He's certainly more worthy of a punt than Layne anyway...

Chuck in McKee, Summers, McMillan, Wilkie a couple of other experienced proven L1 players (God knows who...) And some red hot loan players and we'll be flying imo.

5 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Are these guys anymore of a gamble than say Steven Craig or Mark Wilson? 

Not sure I follow, Craig and Wilson came with a decent pedigree and should have been good additions in the Championship - they flopped but there weren't a gamble at all.