Sons' sorrow

The bickering about the drum I think highlights what is a more concerning issue for the club. People aren't happy. The signings have been a disappointment, finances are, well documented, tight. None of us can see what the long term or even short term future holds. Wilf and others have used the drum as an excuse to not attend. That is their prerogative regardless of opinions. It does seem though from Wilf's earlier post that he is holding a grudge against the club about the drum.
What is clear is that the club has a lot of work to do to get supporters back onside and back supporting as a collective unit.
For what it's worth. People talking about a compromise for the drum is ridiculous, what kind of compromise can there be? Tell them to bang it quieter? Let's be serious here, they are 12/13 year old guys having fun on a saturday afternoon, better they come to the games, perhaps turn into future season ticket holders, than roam the streets being wee dicks. For those not wanting to listen to noise at football, wear earplugs as suggested, it is a football stadium after all not a library.

1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:

Aye, I know. I guess I just don't have a sense of humour.

I know how ardent a Sons fan you are and it's extremely disheartening to think that some sort of compromise or accommodation can't be achieved that would allow you and your daughter to continue to attend games. I sit about 20 seats along from where the drum is and while I'm not mad about it (I do think it's great that we have a band of enthusiastic young fans though and hopefully they can convert even more of their pals to come along), I can at least tolerate it. My daughter who is 24, finds it more annoying than I do, so it's not exclusively  grumpy old man syndrome kicking in. I can't remember, because I'm never along at that end, but is the section where the PA announcements are made from screened off behind glass? If it is, would it be possible for you to watch games from there (assuming that it provided sufficient sound proofing to counteract the noise of the drum)?

My daughter is 20 and finds it equally as annoying as me. Thanks for the suggestions but really I just wanted to sit in an ordinary seat and watch the game. 

Wow...

This is a football forum isn’t it ??

Bickering like old spinsters about a drum. The guy doesn’t want to go because of the drum. Fine.
Others don’t want to attend because of the drum. Fine.

Its their loss.

This has been going on for almost two days now. For god sake!!

The boys weren’t at the last few home games so do we actually know if they are going to a constant at the games ??...

The whole thing is a f**cking joke, just like our club. We are becoming a laughing stock.

This thread is making me really sad. I think we can all agree that we'd love to see Wilf still attend games and that Wilf isn't blaming anyone on here for the situation.
Got to agree, and the young lads should be allowed to express themselves. From what I know of wilf he's done more for the club than most and it is disappointing that he nor his daughter feel they can't attend. Surely we can agree to disagree here, because if our small base of supporters can't see past an argument over a fecking drum we are in bigger shit than I feared.

I'm trying to think what would drive me into not wanting to watch my team anymore. And trust me, I've encountered a few in my 48 years supporting East Fife.

A bunch of overexcitable bairns sitting in the same stand frankly comes way down the list of reasons...

12 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I haven't lashed out at my club at all. If I am not going to attend matches then my sponsorship and hospitality attendance goes with that. I'm either involved or I'm not. Surely that's obvious?

Not really...

12 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

If I lived in another country but otherwise able to attend matches without affecting my health I would continue sponsorship. 

Forgive me for being harsh, but you're coming across as a bitter old fud who's gone in a huff because you've not been able to force some young blokes away from joining in with your hobby. The drum has been at Dumbarton games for over two years now has it not? 

If the club had a choice between supporting you, or ignoring your complaint and allowing a bunch of young guys in who try and create an atmosphere, then they've chosen the right path with the young lads.

St Johnstone had a similar group who were banned due to complaints, 12 months later the amount of folk demanding the club allow them back is double the amount who complained, so theyll be allowed in next season. Rightly or wrongly, young supporters are seen as more important to football clubs.

Again, I'm not a Dumbarton fan so dont hold my words against them.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I have no problem in the band. The drumming is in time and accompanies music. I'm fortunate in fact that very few noises bring on my misaphonia . Unfortunately a randomly played, out of time drum is top of the list.
Just answering by way of explanation to a question.

So if the drum was played with accompanying music or in time then would you still be happy to attend? Assuming you aren’t holding a grudge against the club for changing there views on the allowance of drums in to the stadium.

No going to the football because of a drum [emoji23][emoji23]

If it really bothers you should try get a pair of earphones and listen to the scores or something. Although I suppose it is one of the downfalls of being a one stand club.

At Gayfield, the general gist of it is the stand is for families / older quieter folk. Behind the goal is where it's x rated do as you please shout shite till your hearts content. Sea side terrace is for the older lads who want to shout and others who aren't bothered by it. Similar to behind the goal but more laid back. [emoji23]

If I'm drinking and out with mates it's behind the goals, in a talkative mood it's out the sea side terrace with old man and if I just want to watch the game and no talk to anyone or get annoyed it's the stand. Being stuck in the one stand at some away games can be pretty annoying so I sort of get it. But by time the season starts no doubt you'll be down, going to games is a habit let's face it.

No going to the football because of a drum [emoji23][emoji23]

If it really bothers you should try get a pair of earphones and listen to the scores or something. Although I suppose it is one of the downfalls of being a one stand club.

At Gayfield, the general gist of it is the stand is for families / older quieter folk. Behind the goal is where it's x rated do as you please shout shite till your hearts content. Sea side terrace is for the older lads who want to shout and others who aren't bothered by it. Similar to behind the goal but more laid back. [emoji23]

If I'm drinking and out with mates it's behind the goals, in a talkative mood it's out the sea side terrace with old man and if I just want to watch the game and no talk to anyone or get annoyed it's the stand. Being stuck in the one stand at some away games can be pretty annoying so I sort of get it. But by time the season starts no doubt you'll be down, going to games is a habit let's face it.

I love going to Arbroath and Forfar for the single reason of moving at half time following your side. The movement at Arbroath is far more easier done that at forfars tho [emoji23]

If we're behind schedule then I'm not sure who else is to blame other than Duffy. He's got a budget he's happy to work with and he's had that set for 3 weeks now, all we've managed to sign is young boys and jobbers. He's obviously struggling to get any real quality signed up for the money we've got, which makes all his "budget for promotion" chat even more silly. We really need bodies in by the end of this week, our first game is on the 13th July, if we're still building the squad well into next week or even the following week I think we're looking at another shambolic start to a season.

8 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Friendly next Tuesday night v Dunfermline, will we even have enough players for it?

🤔

There's apparently a bounce game arranged for Friday night. I would hazard a guess that Duffy has asked along folk for a trial and will make a decision after Friday.

The worrying thing for me is that he's having to look at these players before signing them - that suggests to me they don't have much league experience or Duffy hasn't seen much of them.  Duffy knows these leagues extremely well, knows the players who have been playing in it and what they can do. If it was just one or two guys left to fill out the squad I'd be fine with that, but we're still in need of a full defence, at least 2 or 3 midfielders and at least another striker (IMO). If we're taking risks on guys off the back of a preseason bounce game to complete the starting 11 then you can consider me worried. I sincerely hope he has some loan deals up his sleeve.