Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I wouldn't be so quick to criticise.

Playing devils advocate here, loud noise like that can be particularly bad for people with certain health concerns. If it's something that would affect a person's health then it's absolutely understandable that they'd stop going to games. If it's down to some older fans simply not liking that type of very loud support? We've a big enough stand with plenty of empty seats so surely something can be done to accommodate?

Nobody wants to see kids discouraged from coming to games. Nobody wants to see long term fans walking away. There needs to be a happy medium somewhere, even if it means a bit of compromise on both sides, because regardless of the reasons for folk staying away? The club suffers.

I think the kids have done their bit to achieve the happy medium by taking their seats at the far end of the stand. And that drum is not loud, being a snare. A bass drum might have us all vibrating on our seats but that snare drum is not loud. Is the repetitive drum sound really so bad in a stand where there is pretty much constant shouting, hammering of the cladding at the back of the stand and, occasionally, cheering? I think it's a spurious excuse. 

Playing devils advocate here, loud noise like that can be particularly bad for people with certain health concerns. If it's something that would affect a person's health then it's absolutely understandable that they'd stop going to games. If it's down to some older fans simply not liking that type of very loud support? We've a big enough stand with plenty of empty seats so surely something can be done to accommodate?
Nobody wants to see kids discouraged from coming to games. Nobody wants to see long term fans walking away. There needs to be a happy medium somewhere, even if it means a bit of compromise on both sides, because regardless of the reasons for folk staying away? The club suffers.
I'm 99% confident we don't have 6 supporters who have some sort of health issue that is aggrivated by a drum being hit. Fair enough if Wilf is impacted but I'd be astounded if another 5 supporters had the same/a similar thing.

Our support is awash with old farts, unfortunately. The thought of weans having fun kills them inside.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm 99% confident we don't have 6 supporters who have some sort of health issue that is aggrivated by a drum being hit. Fair enough if Wilf is impacted but I'd be astounded if another 5 supporters had the same/a similar thing.

Our support is awash with old farts, unfortunately. The thought of weans having fun kills them inside.

I'm 100% confident that the Sons supporter I met in the Co-op in Helensburgh the other day, a man with family connections to the club, was being truthful when he said that the group of four guys he is part of will not be renewing their season tickets nor attending games next season because of the "incessant f*****g racket" at matches. Two of them are suffering from medical conditions which reduces their tolerance levels for such things.

I'm 100% confident that my daughter and I will not be renewing our STs either.   

Our support is not awash with anyone. It is a dwindling resource and I have simply pointed out why around 5% of our season tickets will not be renewed due to an entirely preventable reason.

Your last sentence is very disappointing and completely untrue.

'Fair enough if Wilf is impacted'. Really ? A guy who has supported the club since 1970 and has invested Christ knows what of his own money, time and goodwill in DFC is to be waved goodbye in order that a bunch of here today/gone tomorrow kids can batter f**k out of a drum ? Really ?

Here's a simple test; if these lads are serious about following Dumbarton then presumably they can do it without crossing a threshold that irritates and in some cases genuinely ruins the experience of fellow supporters. In other words the club needs to grow a pair and draw a code of what's acceptable and what is not.

By the lights of some of the wise guys posting on this subject, and the intolerance and disrespect is frankly disgraceful, I'm one of these old buffers. But I was once young and madly enthusiastic about the Sons....singing, shouting, banners - the whole shebang.

But I'll tell you what; if anyone had ever told me or my mates that our conduct was causing diehard fans to chuck it then I'd have been horrified.

I should state that Wilf is a close personal friend of mine, and his decision has saddened me immensely. For people who purport to wish the best for DFC there are some gey strange attitudes on here at times.

I'm 100% confident that the Sons supporter I met in the Co-op in Helensburgh the other day, a man with family connections to the club, was being truthful when he said that the group of four guys he is part of will not be renewing their season tickets nor attending games next season because of the "incessant f*****g racket" at matches. Two of them are suffering from medical conditions which reduces their tolerance levels for such things.
I'm 100% confident that my daughter and I will not be renewing our STs either.   
Our support is not awash with anyone. It is a dwindling resource and I have simply pointed out why around 5% of our season tickets will not be renewed due to an entirely preventable reason.
Your last sentence is very disappointing and completely untrue.
You're right, it is completely preventable. The way to prevent it is if fully grown men stopped being petty as f**k over weans having a laugh with a drum. What medical condition do they have? What do you expect the club to do here?

My last sentence is completely true and everybody knows it.

'Fair enough if Wilf is impacted'. Really ? A guy who has supported the club since 1970 and has invested Christ knows what of his own money, time and goodwill in DFC is to be waved goodbye in order that a bunch of here today/gone tomorrow kids can batter f**k out of a drum ? Really ?

Here's a simple test; if these lads are serious about following Dumbarton then presumably they can do it without crossing a threshold that irritates and in some cases genuinely ruins the experience of fellow supporters. In other words the club needs to grow a pair and draw a code of what's acceptable and what is not.

By the lights of some of the wise guys posting on this subject, and the intolerance and disrespect is frankly disgraceful, I'm one of these old buffers. But I was once young and madly enthusiastic about the Sons....singing, shouting, banners - the whole shebang.

But I'll tell you what; if anyone had ever told me or my mates that our conduct was causing diehard fans to chuck it then I'd have been horrified.

I should state that Wilf is a close personal friend of mine, and his decision has saddened me immensely. For people who purport to wish the best for DFC there are some gey strange attitudes on here at times.
"Wise guys", "intolerence", "disrespect" I'm out. This discussion has been done to death.

Whether Wilf attends or not doesn't bother me in slightest in all honesty. I'd be completely lying if I said it did.

This is absolutely pathetic.

Young guys trying to get a bit of atmosphere around out the place instead in true Dumbarton style people just need to moan about it..

The negative atmosphere around the club is absolutely draining.

If people don’t want to go then don’t go, don’t come on here and make a big f**king song and dance about it..

4 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Thanks for the mature answer BSF. To be fair, with some people there isn't any medical reason, they just find it annoying. That's the beginning and end of it. They're not motivated by some  "spite" as one poster put it.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

"Wise guys", "intolerence", "disrespect" I'm out. This discussion has been done to death.

Whether Wilf attends or not doesn't bother me in slightest in all honesty. I'd be completely lying if I said it did.

In all honesty it doesn't bother me any more. I haven't been to a game since January 5th and the process of estrangement  is now complete.  What should worry the club and by association, the support, is that a 49-year-old habit can be got out of so easily. 

I hope Dumbarton FC survives and prospers. To do that it needs all the support it can get.

I completely understand someone not getting a season ticket/attending games because of the drum having an adverse effect on a medical condition they have.

Choosing not to support the club with sponsorship because of it is odd, however. Strikes me as throwing toys out the pram.

£500 of sponsorship too.

24 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The old guard gatekeeping as per usual.  Yes, these kids could disappear within a season or two, but they also could end up supporting the club for life.   (Something Wilf isn't even willing to do, clearly).

There are a number of reasons why the club isn't as hospitable as it should be and high up the list is this mentality that some fans are better than others.  New people instantly get interrogated on the supporters bus.  People moan when big crowds turn up (e.g 1000-odd we took to the cup final) because they weren't at smaller games.  Fans of old firm clubs get snarked at when they're actually bothering to support their local team - even if it's only a few games a season it still helps the club.

The old guard gatekeeping as per usual.  Yes, these kids could disappear within a season or two, but they also could end up supporting the club for life.   (Something Wilf isn't even willing to do, clearly).
There are a number of reasons why the club isn't as hospitable as it should be and high up the list is this mentality that some fans are better than others.  New people instantly get interrogated on the supporters bus.  People moan when big crowds turn up (e.g 1000-odd we took to the cup final) because they weren't at smaller games.  Fans of old firm clubs get snarked at when they're actually bothering to support their local team - even if it's only a few games a season it still helps the club.

Couldn’t agree more !!! 100 %

I wasnt going to wade into this debate but here I am. I think anyone who says they arnt attending due to a "bit if noise" follows the wrong sport. Football is loved across the world for the atmosphere created by fans, have the boys to stop supporting, singing and banging a drum because it upsets a few folk?
If its medical reasons then fair enough but being pissed off at a bit of noise borders on pathetic.
I am not for one moment denying the support that wilf or anyone else has given the club over the years. Anyone who gives up time, money or otherwise to help the club should be applauded, however there is a young group of fans coming through, they should also be applauded and encouraged.

4 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

I wasnt going to wade into this debate but here I am. I think anyone who says they arnt attending due to a "bit if noise" follows the wrong sport. Football is loved across the world for the atmosphere created by fans, have the boys to stop supporting, singing and banging a drum because it upsets a few folk?
If its medical reasons then fair enough but being pissed off at a bit of noise borders on pathetic.
I am not for one moment denying the support that wilf or anyone else has given the club over the years. Anyone who gives up time, money or otherwise to help the club should be applauded, however there is a young group of fans coming through, they should also be applauded and encouraged.

We had the same complaints from the old moaners , so we moved them to the other side of the park ,We all have to invest in future supporters

11 minutes ago, Jumbo Muir said:

I ended up being distracted away from Sportsound earlier. Did anyone listen to it ? Did Duffy give us any clues ?

All i heard was that we have 9 players with a closed door bounce game next Friday.Hopes to have a full team by the LC ties.Not much else but i didnt hear all of it.