Sons' sorrow

Nah there’s still cases where bringing in players on trial has its benefits.

We brought in Jamie Adams on trial in 2015 after he’d been out the game for 3 years. He signed after playing 20 minutes of a bounce game vs Hibs and has never looked back.

When we were still part time McCall brought in trialists more often with 2 or 3 at a time but since the switch to full time we’ve only had Andy Murdoch on trial. And he was a pretty established name in the Championship.

A lot of the time it’s for managers to see how fit a player is opposed to whether they’re good enough or not.

I remember watching Jamie Adams against guys like Pique and Mata, don't think that was much of a punt or a gamble.

Agree with post above too, maybe if you had an established set of players. Dumbarton have already took a few risks with guys so they're needing guys who aren't a punt.

Most lower league fans could point out good signings and players, never mind managers, due to how often teams play each other and the fact players seem to play for a lot of different teams. Duffy will know this too and he'll be wanting reliable guys signed without having to put them on trials and hoping they turn out good

I remember watching Jamie Adams against guys like Pique and Mata, don't think that was much of a punt or a gamble.

Agree with post above too, maybe if you had an established set of players. Dumbarton have already took a few risks with guys so they're needing guys who aren't a punt.

Most lower league fans could point out good signings and players, never mind managers, due to how often teams play each other and the fact players seem to play for a lot of different teams. Duffy will know this too and he'll be wanting reliable guys signed without having to put them on trials and hoping they turn out good

It was a risk considering he’d had umpteen injuries and had spent the previous season playing with his mates for Wigtown. I think McCall only wanted to see if his legs actually worked.

However I agree that maybe a couple of trialists are ok if you’re simply trying to add numbers. However if you’re relying on a trialist to go straight into the starting XI it’s a big gamble.

5 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Robert Thomson.... Talk to me? Apparently in started pre season in Airdrie.
I hear you lot may have a soft spot for him? Capable at this level? Think he could work with SeaGal?

It took him about six months to get going with us, but when he did he was absolutely superb - although he was at his best as a wide targetman.

Any player who can score double figures for a part-time team in the Championship deserves huge amounts of credit. The fact Berba did it for a Stevie Aitken team means that he probably deserves the Ballon D'or or something.

I've been praying that we'd bring him back to give us some sort of positivity to cling to, but if he goes to Airdrie (along with the other good additions you guys have made) I'm resigning us to tenth with a squad full of regens. Duffy should be right in there sweet talking the life out of him with a decent contract offer - there's no chance a guy who would be our best player should only be on trial with league rivals.

This window is making me very, very sad.

It took him about six months to get going with us, but when he did he was absolutely superb - although he was at his best as a wide targetman.
Any player who can score double figures for a part-time team in the Championship deserves huge amounts of credit. The fact Berba did it for a Stevie Aitken team means that he probably deserves the Ballon D'or or something.
I've been praying that we'd bring him back to give us some sort of positivity to cling to, but if he goes to Airdrie (along with the other good additions you guys have made) I'm resigning us to tenth with a squad full of regens. Duffy should be right in there sweet talking the life out of him with a decent contract offer - there's no chance a guy who would be our best player should only be on trial with league rivals.
This window is making me very, very sad.
While I'd obviously be delighted to get someone that another teams fans rate as "superb" (a rarity in this league you notice), I can't help but feel a bit concerned for The Sons.
In this league they are the team I dislike the least, borderline don't mind them, even after the cuffing we got in the playoff those years ago.
I just hope Duffy can pull a few rabbits out of hats and turn what looks like the makings of a jobber squad into something capable of mid table mediocrity [emoji20].
Best of luck

While I'd obviously be delighted to get someone that another teams fans rate as "superb" (a rarity in this league you notice), I can't help but feel a bit concerned for The Sons.
In this league they are the team I dislike the least, borderline don't mind them, even after the cuffing we got in the playoff those years ago.
I just hope Duffy can pull a few rabbits out of hats and turn what looks like the makings of a jobber squad into something capable of mid table mediocrity [emoji20].
Best of luck
We're fucked. I don't think I've dreaded a new season starting more in my life.

Duffy's idea of selling the club to players (including existing players) is sending them a text with their offer. No phone call, no meeting, just a text. Seriously.

We now have the problem of any player worth their salt looking at our current squad and avoiding us like the absolute plague. Add to that the radio silence from the club and the trust and this season is shaping up to be the minter of all minters. I'd be surprised if we'd even punted 100 season tickets so far given the shambolic advertising strategy of firing out the same tweet twice a week. The only other information we are getting is the announcement of absolute jobber players.

This is before you get started on our Chairman telling us we were gunning for top 4 last month. Deluded.

47 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I just hope Duffy can pull a few rabbits out of hats and turn what looks like the makings of a jobber squad into something capable of mid table mediocrity emoji20.png.
Best of luck

On the other hand im beginning to hate Airdrie and IM  as they set about building a title winning squad.:green Green with envy moi......?

Personally i can only stay positive in the hope that an experienced manager like Duffy pullls a few good strokes andgets some quality in.However our patience is going to be tested to the limit as i am sure that we will be picking up PL/CH  loanees  who will only become available in July/August.Its our only get out clause.