Sons' sorrow

I dont think we can blame fans for having a degree of trepidation about our predicament. Nothing is crystal clear but that's just life. It's also up to individual fans to do what they like with their money. If that involves ploughing every spare penny into all the trusts initiatives then so be it and credit to them. If some decide they are not putting any more money into the club until things become clearer then that is also their prerogative.

Well I must have missed these 4 occasions, but never the less here we are.

Again in a transfer window and from what I can gather through the very limited ( reliable ) info we have from the club, know one knows what’s going on.

Is duffy staying ? Is he going ?

Do we have money, don’t we have money ?

All the time players who we could be trying to sign or at least speak to are being snapped up all around us.

Even clubs in lower leagues have done more business than us and I’m sure they will have more financial restrictions than us.

Just seems from an outside perception that only the inner sanctum know what’s going on and are unwilling to let us know.

If it’s good bad or indifferent the lack of communication from the club is infuriating.

But they are not shy at coming forward and asking us to cough up cash for ST??

I think it works both ways, if I knew what was going on i would be more inclined to renew my season ticket but at the moment, sadly that won’t be the case.

People saying “ you should be helping your club out”

I will ( if needed ) all they have to do is come and be honest with us and tell what is actually going instead of us all moaning and bitching at each other on here.

All I’m asking for is for a bit of transparency from the club as to what is actually going on, that is all.

14 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

Well I must have missed these 4 occasions, but never the less here we are.

Again in a transfer window and from what I can gather through the very limited ( reliable ) info we have from the club, know one knows what’s going on.

Is duffy staying ? Is he going ?

All the time players who we could be trying to sign or at least speak to are being snapped up all around us.

Even clubs in lower leagues have done more business than us and I’m sure they will have more financial restrictions than us.

Just seems from an outside perception that only the inner sanctum know what’s going on and are unwilling to let us know.

If it’s good bad or indifferent the lack of communication from the club is infuriating.

But they are not shy at coming forward and asking us to cough up cash for ST??

I think it works both ways, if I knew what was going on i would be more inclined to renew my season ticket but at the moment, sadly that won’t be the case.

People saying “ you should be helping your club out”

I will ( if needed ) all they have to do is come and be honest with us and tell what is actually going instead of us all moaning and bitching at each other on here.

All I’m asking for is for a bit of transparency from the club as to what is actually going on, that is all.

I may be wrong but i think Simon was alluding to the fact that nobody airs publically how deals are done etc and its obvious they are in discussions but until everything is finally done and dusted they won't say anything.I think they don't want a repeat of the John Brown fiasco.I feel your frustration and i think all fans are in the same boat.But looking into Simon's message it appears we will have some news this week more than likely.

Yes, the club certainly needs all the backing it can get right now. We can flourish, but it's going to take (and is taking) a lot of work. 

There should be some positive news regarding next season coming shortly -- but let me assure you that everything that can be said is being said by the club (I'm the club press officer, as well as involved from the trust, so I'm speaking of what I know here).

If there was more that could be put into the public arena right now, that would happen. The board is strongly committed to working positively with supporters, sponsors etc.   (Speculation is inevitable in the absence of hard news...  I understand that, but much of it is way off course, and it really doesn't help anyone or anything.)  

The reality is that contracts and financial arrangements involve confidentiality and can end up taking more time than people would like. Everyone is working flat-out to get things over the line. 

Best to all, Simon

That's a really helpful reply Simon. To know things are in the pipeline and the club are hopeful of progress in the near future is probably all we need to hear.

I know it's easy to take shots from the sides because I'm not fully aware of what goes on behind the scenes but I do know the people involved and they would not be short-charging the club.

Regarding the financial situation and support, I will contribute whatever I realistically can. There could be a degree of over saturation when asking for money, so the more ways to make it interesting the better.

The idea of not buying a season ticket/getting annoyed that the club are asking us to buy one because the club haven’t worked out their financial position for the season ahead is an odd one. The club would be more capable to judge their financial position if those who intend to buy season tickets do so early, surely.

15 hours ago, albundy said:

Like I mentioned earlier I suspect it's not a black and white situation and there are good people working damn hard to keep the club operational, I suspect the club needs all the income and backing it can get just now.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

You don't know if the club is in financial difficulty? They don't tell us anything?

John Steele literally stood in front of the fans on about 4 occasions last year telling you exactly that.

Not sure who you refer to as "cliques and groups" within the club.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The chairman has been very open and honest about us obviously having less money to play with down here vs the Championship and we're also trying to tidy up some of the mess created by previous regimes. The stadium has also been neglected by the owners/previous boards so that's another thing to add to it. We're doing a lot of fundraising activity to make the impact as minimal as possible.

2 hours ago, TheFarPost said:

Yes, the club certainly needs all the backing it can get right now. We can flourish, but it's going to take (and is taking) a lot of work.

1 hour ago, RGD89 said:

:blink:

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

If some decide they are not putting any more money into the club until things become clearer then that is also their prerogative.

Absolutely. However, where do people think the funding is coming from for re-signing players and "squad strengthening"? I have some difficulty in following the logic behind demanding a more competitive team and yet thinking the best way to achieve that is to starve the club of income before the season starts.

Football is an emotional as well as a financial commitment for the supporter. If I stayed in Kent there's every likelihood I would purchase a season ticket even though I wouldn't attend because I want Dumbarton FC to survive. But what I think isn't for everyone.
However, as regards team-building and player-retention, etc., I don't think you need to be a rocket-scientist to deduce that things at DFC may be more intense at present than at some other clubs.
We have good people engaged on behalf of the local community, people who are unpaid and freely giving of their time. Whilst I understand the anxiety I think Simon has given us a good, positive update so let's get behind them.

Moving away from the serious stuff, another wee plug for the Rock Comedy Club which kicks off next Friday - https://www.facebook.com/events/520778938327100/
Really good line up at a good price, and it's another way to support the club for the coming season. As with anything, for it to continue on a regular basis it needs people to show up, so if you'd like regular comedy nights on in the town then get yourself a ticket.
I'm not yet sure I can attend but is payment on the night accepted ?

7 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Fully expecting a picture of Robert Thomson, Derek Gaston, Lee Kilday, Stuart Carswell and Calum Gallagher holding Duffy like a newlywed bride on the C&G pitch to drop on the OS tomorrow.

You forgot to mention JD's nephew Gary Oliver (Ben Armour as well)!

7 minutes ago, Supremesons said:

Is there still some old football shirts for sale at the stadium?

Don't know if you have twitter, but you can contact the shop directly on there @ShopDfc. Alternatively, a call to the club may be your best option.

I'm sure there was some stuff left from the sale but I'm not sure what they done with what was left.

So tomorrow we find out our 1st competitive opponents of the new season. We have 1 signed player (who is perma-crocked) and a manager who hasn't confirmed he will still be in the hot seat! Anyone else a tad concerned?
No, as I understand it, Duffy had already confirmed he was staying on his radio slot at the weekend and Simon was on the forum yesterday stating that negotiations were under way but nothing confirmed yet.

PITK (sorry..)

1 hour ago, albundy said:

No, as I understand it, Duffy had already confirmed he was staying on his radio slot at the weekend and Simon was on the forum yesterday stating that negotiations were under way but nothing confirmed yet.

PITK (sorry..)

This week's local rag...

20190527_214546.jpg

This week's local rag...

20190527_214546.thumb.jpg.79f1c4c3beb1eb480ad4063bf0b85b8c.jpg
Hmm, was Duffy not quoted as saying on his radio spot he was staying. In the previous weeks press he said that he would be in the dugout but didn't know his budget yet because he hadn't met with the board, he met with the board last week and this week he is still unsure. WTF?

2 minutes ago, albundy said:
9 minutes ago, Silverton End said:
This week's local rag...

20190527_214546.thumb.jpg.79f1c4c3beb1eb480ad4063bf0b85b8c.jpg

Hmm, was Duffy not quoted as saying on his radio spot he was staying. In the previous weeks press he said that he would be in the dugout but didn't know his budget yet because he hadn't met with the board, he met with the board last week and this week he is still unsure. WTF?

I'd think Jim would want to know what his budget is before committing, personally I hope he stays as the turnaround in our form was excellent since January.