Sons' sorrow

It's all totally irrelevant of course, but if we accept that Jim Duffy's first Dumbarton team took to the pitch in the 1-1 draw with Montrose at the end of January (Henk, Fergie, Armour and Boris all started that day) then our form from since then has been nothing short of remarkable. I tallied it all up (kidding on, I just used Transfermarkt) and this is how the league looks from that point onwards.

5cc5ec6d49940_Screenshot2019-04-28at19_09_37.png.c3631393cd8d5ab31d1d7c334ee9e369.png

I accept that this is a pretty meaningless table but, given where we were at the time, it speaks volumes about the job Duffy and Hagi have done after they brought in a couple of their own players, and emptied a few they didn't fancy (or in Willie Dyer's case, simply locked him in a cupboard. Probably).

As The Moonster said earlier it's a real shame that we weren't able to see Gallagher and Thomas as a strike partnership for the whole season under Duffy. Likewise having a fully fit Mango and McLean together at centre-half could've made a huge difference to where we finished. 

We didn't though, so it's all irrelevant. In a season that, for seven months or so was nothing short of utterly miserable, it's nice to be ending it on a positive note.

I was just looking at our attendances and we've averaged 617 in our 18 league matches this season. The highest attendance was 756 in the first game against Raith with the lowest being 456 against Brechin in December.

By comparison, last season averaged 832. The highest was 1652 against St Mirren in January with the lowest being 392 in the midweek game against ICT in April.

33 minutes ago, Scosha said:

How has Ben Armour been getting on? Really hoped he'd go and score a couple of goals as he's looked a quick wee player any time he's played for us. 

He's just complete meh. Runs about a lot but I genuinely don't remember any of his contributions so far. Probably decent enough squad filler at this level but we've used Boris Melingui far more than Armour, which probably doesn't say much for Armour. 

1 hour ago, Scosha said:

How has Ben Armour been getting on? Really hoped he'd go and score a couple of goals as he's looked a quick wee player any time he's played for us. 

I've liked the look of him, but as The Moonster says his game time has been really limited - and Duffy preferring Boris over him isn't a great sign.

I wouldn't imagine he'd be that near your squad next season, but if he's let go then I wouldn't be against us handing him a deal. He's still raw, but I could see him becoming a pretty effective John Baird type striker with time and experience. Quite often loan forwards shy away from the physical stuff, but he's been the opposite - and looks more than happy to put himself about and get stuck in. He's barely played since starting in the 2-0 victory against Arbroath in March though, which is a shame because he was excellent that day. He gave the best centre-back pairing in the league a really tough time, and I hoped we might see more of him - but it hasn't been the case.

To be fair to him he's been unfortunate in that Calum Gallagher and Dom Thomas have struck up an excellent partnership since DT returned at the end of January. If that hadn't happened then I don't doubt he would've featured an awful lot more.

Is his contract at Cappielow up in the summer?

8 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I've liked the look of him, but as The Moonster says his game time has been really limited - and Duffy preferring Boris over him isn't a great sign.

I wouldn't imagine he'd be that near your squad next season, but if he's let go then I wouldn't be against us handing him a deal. He's still raw, but I could see him becoming a pretty effective John Baird type striker with time and experience. Quite often loan forwards shy away from the physical stuff, but he's been the opposite - and looks more than happy to put himself about and get stuck in. He's barely played since starting in the 2-0 victory against Arbroath in March though, which is a shame because he was excellent that day. He gave the best centre-back pairing in the league a really tough time, and I hoped we might see more of him - but it hasn't been the case.

To be fair to him he's been unfortunate in that Calum Gallagher and Dom Thomas have struck up an excellent partnership since DT returned at the end of January. If that hadn't happened then I don't doubt he would've featured an awful lot more.

I'd go along with this entirely; it is very difficult to look the part from occasional cameo appearances and Brian McLean's improving performances confirm what a regular place can produce in a player.  In addition to his good showing against Arbroath young Armour came off the bench at Airdrie to assist in Thomas's equaliser.  I wouldn't be averse to taking a punt on him if he became available.

16 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Yeah it's up this summer. Disappointed he's not made much of an impression. I wouldn't be surprised if we offer him a deal given the amount of cuts we're about to make apparently. 

19 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Yeah it's up this summer. Disappointed he's not made much of an impression. I wouldn't be surprised if we offer him a deal given the amount of cuts we're about to make apparently. 

I'd say it's more a case of him not having the opportunity to make an impression, rather than anything on his side. There's only so much a player can do in three starts - and we went down to ten men after 60 minutes in one of those.

If you do to decide to keep him I wouldn't be surprised to see him do alright and chip in with a few goals and assists. 

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 22:25, Silverton End said:

Well done to Sons View on winning the League 1 matchday programme of the year.

Really deserved, especially with the retro cover theme. Quality

Aye, Graeme Robertson has done a magnificent job over many, many years and he and his contributors fully deserve this accolade.  And a mention too to Announcer Jim.

14 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

Thought it might be of interest to mention that Stevie Chalmers played one game for us against Stenhousemuir in a league match at Ochilview on 22 November 1958. On the opposing side was his fellow Lisbon Lion and future Sons player Willie Wallace.

Didn't know that. So four of the Lisbon Lions squad played for the Sons at one time or another

I see the fabled Jack Ross has missed out on automatic promotion in a league he should’ve walked.

Yes, because as we’ve shown this season, it’s really easy to revamp your squad after relegation and go straight back up again.