Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

I'm not really too bothered about where it goes to be honest, £20 to get your name up in the stadium and help the club out when it's badly needed seems like a decent deal to me. 

I agree. I'm not bothered about where it is placed, I was just wondering that's all.

Seems like a good way to bring in some much needed cash and I think it will be pretty popular. Hopefully we can sell a couple hundred bricks.

53 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

Has there been any word of next years normal ST price?  Or will we be hanging off to confirm league 1 football first (or league 2!)?

I don't know exactly when it will be announced, but I expect we'll hear something before the end of April.

3 hours ago, RGD89 said:

This has probably been discussed but what are people’s thoughts regarding the new season ticket ??

I think it’s really good value at about £11 for pre/post match drinks buffet etc. However not sure I can justify £500 for ST so I’m out . 

23 hours ago, RGD89 said:

This has probably been discussed but what are people’s thoughts regarding the new season ticket ??

Good idea but I lost interest when I discovered that the complimentary pre-match booze didn't start flowing until 14:30.

Reminds me of The President's Club which was fine until the blazers decided that they couldn't breathe the same air as the proles.

Brian McLean signed for Dumbarton? Good on him, been a couple of interesting years for the lad in Brunei/Singapore. Saw him play on more than a few occasions but the level of play in Singapore Premier League (formerly S.League) is so shite, the Brunei and domestic Singaporean teams get steamrolled on an annual basis by a side exclusively comprised of Japanese university students. How good Brian will be coming back from that into League 1 is anyone's guess.

Edited by DutchBorderer

1 hour ago, DutchBorderer said:

Brian McLean signed for Dumbarton? Good on him, been a couple of interesting years for the lad in Brunei/Singapore. Saw him play on more than a few occasions but the level of play in Singapore Premier League (formerly S.League) is so shite, the Brunei and domestic Singaporean teams get steamrolled on an annual basis by a side exclusively comprised of Japanese university students. How good Brian will be coming back from that into League 1 is anyone's guess.

The good thing is that the defenders we've had before him haven't really set a very high bar, so he doesn't need to be excellent, just competent. I'm hoping an experienced pairing of him and Mango Barr will be good enough to see us through to the end of the season.

2 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

What's the level like compared to Scotland? Like amateur level? 

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

What's the level like compared to Scotland? Like amateur level? 

Hard to say, it's a very different style of play with rather touchy refs. Most players are 1.70 at best, so you miss that physical edge that is typical of the Scottish leagues. To give a recent example of a player returning to Europe, Jermaine Pennant was the star player for Tampines Rovers in 2016 (when Brian was at DPMM), but got laughed out of Gigg Lane when he signed with Bury following an unsuccesful trial with Hibernian, and was then unable to perform at Isthmian League level with Billericay Town.

Pennant was and is an absolute wuss though; McLean is cut from a different cloth so I'm hoping he will do Dumbarton a solid. Honestly surprised he was released considering the Bruneians now have an English coach in Adrian Pennock, but then the M.O. in Singapore is to fill their tiny foreign quota with big strikers and hope for the best. Didn't help that Pennock brought along some English defender he used to train.

Now that I am here anyway, how is Henk van Schaik?  Had never even heard of the lad until he made his debut for Livingston. Odd that a young bloke who couldn't cut it over in NL somehow found his way to Scotland (but then Kenny van der Weg is still a thing).

Edited by DutchBorderer

13 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Hard to say, it's a very different style of play with rather touchy refs. Most players are 1.70 at best, so you miss that physical edge that is typical of the Scottish leagues. To give a recent example of a player returning to Europe, Jermaine Pennant was the star player for Tampines Rovers in 2016 (when Brian was at DPMM), but got laughed out of Gigg Lane when he signed with Bury following an unsuccesful trial with Hibernian, and was then unable to perform at Isthmian League level with Billericay Town.

Pennant was and is an absolute wuss though; McLean is cut from a different cloth so I'm hoping he will do Dumbarton a solid. Honestly surprised he was released considering the Bruneians now have an English coach in Adrian Pennock, but then the M.O. in Singapore is to fill their tiny foreign quota with big strikers and hope for the best. Didn't help that Pennock brought along some English defender he used to train.

Now that I am here anyway, how is Henk van Schaik?  Had never even heard of the lad until he made his debut for Livingston. Odd that a young bloke who couldn't cut it over in NL somehow found his way to Scotland (but then Kenny van der Weg is still a thing).

Big Henk is a bit hit & miss, sometimes looks very composed and a bit of a bombscare at other times.

I think that's why Duffy has brought in McLean to be honest.

9 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

The faux brick will be used to build the faux stadium at Dalmoak.

I wonder if I can have "Old Scrotum loves Jacqui the Steward".

You can yes. 16 characters per line but we could squeeze in 17, so your love message could be done over two lines.

Shall I mark you down for one ;)