Sons' sorrow

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd take him.

Wee 6 month deal until the summer, make sure he's gone before the court date incase he's guilty.

We've had worse on the books.

Agreed.

Edinburgh City made a certified beast their captain can't get worse than that.

How disappointing. I was looking forward to hearing about the dressing room reaction when DT learned his jersey was sponsored by Ross Forbes. :bairn

I'm assured DT's return is not due to him having several older male relatives with forthcoming birthdays for which a bottle of Balantine's finest blend would come in handy.

56 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd take him.

Wee 6 month deal until the summer, make sure he's gone before the court date incase he's guilty.

We've had worse on the books.

So would I, but i guess on the back of Nade's case it would look like double standards.But screw double standards i would sign him antyway and JD can act like a mentor to his troubled 'son'.

Time to be optimistic again - that was a great window.

I couldn't understand the angst in here during the wait for players. Pretty much everyone was looking for a few payers to move and prioritised defenders, a goalkeeper and a forward. This is exactly what happened - three left, two defenders, a goalkeeper, a forward come in and we retain Thomas - in the meantime a number of people on here were predicting certain relegation, the club was going out of business and being wound up, etc.

Time to start believing again.

#Duffydelivers.

Edited by Sons FC

31 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

So would I, but i guess on the back of Nade's case it would look like double standards.But screw double standards i would sign him antyway and JD can act like a mentor to his troubled 'son'.

Nade's situation was completely different because there was a conflict of interest regarding our assistant.

I'd take him too for what it's worth...

20 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

I couldn't understand the angst in here during the wait for players. Pretty much everyone was looking for a few payers to move and prioritised defenders, a goalkeeper and a forward. This is exactly what happened - three left, two defenders, a goalkeeper, a forward come in and we retain Thomas - in the meantime a number of people on here were predicting certain relegation, the club was going out of business and being wound up, etc.7

#Duffydelivers.

image.png.91ec862a954733c48b9e73b086ab3d3f.png

;)

21 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

I couldn't understand the angst in here during the wait for players. Pretty much everyone was looking for a few payers to move and prioritised defenders, a goalkeeper and a forward. This is exactly what happened - three left, two defenders, a goalkeeper, a forward come in and we retain Thomas - in the meantime a number of people on here were predicting certain relegation, the club was going out of business and being wound up, etc.7

#Duffydelivers.

I think Duffy has probably done as well as he could with the resources available to him, it's now up to him to get the best out of them on the pitch.

I don't remember anyone saying the club would be wound up though. I would also suggest it's the players who need to start believing (and preferable seeing out games when we take the lead).

#Duffydelivers.
The jury is out on whether it was a great window. It certainly looks positive but we don't know if Henk is an upgrade on Dowie, we don't really know if Armour is anywhere near good enough for this level, the goalkeeper situation looks to be much the same and we've only seen Boris once, albeit it was a very promising appearance. Thomas is the only signing we know will improve us.

The angst was because we haven't won a league match for 2 months and we could barely name a sub on the bench. That's in the past now though and we just hope things pick up moving forward.

As for prediciting relegation - we are in a relegation play off spot, the team above us having a game in hand. It's a very, very real possibility and to ignore that fact is plain daft. Our form is relegation form. We need a huge upturn in results to make a fist of staying up.

Who said the club was going to be wound up or go out of business? Evidence of people saying that plz.

I'm all for folk trying to be positive but burying your head in the sand doesn't achieve a thing. I think some people get realism confused with negativity.

Obviously it's a totally different window, and he's working with a totally different budget, but it's interesting that Duffy's signings have all been young guys: Armour (20), Henk (21), Ferguson (22), Boris (22), Brennan (24).

That's almost the exact opposite to Aitken's approach where, odd Old Firm loanee aside, he seemed to love more experienced additions.

Has it been a great window? I'm not so sure. As I said I'd have liked an athletic midfielder and a targetman, but it's been better than I feared at one stage.

Ferguson solves a major issue at left-back (assuming we play him there), Boris looks like he has something different to offer and keeping DT is sensational business. The other guys all should have points to prove - and that hunger and motivation is what we've been lacking.

Will we stay up? God knows. But I now believe that eighth is achievable whereas a week or so ago I felt pretty resigned to 9th at best.

Edit: Forgot to say, but Mango coming back is like a new signing. He'll be huge for us if he can stay fit. Beany and Perry getting themselves available again will at least give us fresh legs from the bench too.

Edited by Ross Forbes

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think Duffy has probably done as well as he could with the resources available to him, it's now up to him to get the best out of them on the pitch.

I don't remember anyone saying the club would be wound up though. I would also suggest it's the players who need to start believing (and preferable seeing out games when we take the lead).

There was discussion about the club going out of business around the 15th January - you even contributed to it.

13 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

As for prediciting relegation - we are in a relegation play off spot, the team above us having a game in hand. It's a very, very real possibility and to ignore that fact is plain daft. Our form is relegation form. We need a huge upturn in results to make a fist of staying up.

Who said the club was going to be wound up or go out of business? Evidence of people saying that plz.

I'm all for folk trying to be positive but burying your head in the sand doesn't achieve a thing. I think some people get realism confused with negativity.

Predicting relegation? I understand your point and I am certainly not ignoring it - but that is not what I said.

Wound up? Going out of business - check back in the thread for a number of posters discussing the possibility of the club going out of business.

Sorry for injecting a positive note into the doom and gloom but this is not head in the sand - this is reflecting what has been said on here!

Edited by Sons FC

Predicting relegation? I understand your point and I am certainly not ignoring it - but that is not what I said.
Wound up? Going out of business - check back in the thread for a number of posters discussing the possibility of the club going out of business.
Sorry for injecting a positive note into the doom and gloom but this is not head in the sand - this is reflecting what has been said on here!
You said a number of people on here were predicting relegation. Of course they are predicting it. We are on course for it.

People have highlighted the issue with our owners. No one has outright said we are going out of business. They are wise to be concerned about that situation.

Bit of help guys. Wanting to take my wee man through to Airdrie tomorrow and hoping to get on the supporters bus. I requested to join the Facebook travel group page a few months ago but not been accepted yet so can't send messages on it. Any idea how I can get on the bus if there is one running?

51 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

There was discussion about the club going out of business around the 15th January - you even contributed to it.

I had a wee look back to the 15th of January and here's what I said:

On 15/01/2019 at 10:12, The Moonster said:

What I find frustrating/annoying/strange is that it only takes say 6 weeks of bad form for people to decide to stay at home instead of coming to a game, yet 6 years of success in Scotland's second tier as the best part time team in the country and we still weren't able to build our support - if anything our support dwindled towards the end.  We were a bawhair away from entering the play-offs to the Premiership, we went that far in the Scottish Cup that we had to submit an application in case we ended up in Europe, yet we could still barely muster 600 bodies through the home end. If a poor team causes folk to stay away until things get better, why doesn't a good team bring in more fans which allows us to build on that success?

On 15/01/2019 at 11:32, The Moonster said:

In 08/09 when we won the 3rd Division we had an average crowd of 722. The season before that (when we nearly finished bottom) we had 560. Our first season after relegation we had 709 (Previous 3 seasons in 2nd Division we had an average of around 900). So nearly 200 fans deserted us when we had a shite season in the 3rd Division, yet we don't see any sort of tangible increase in attendances (above our normal average) when we had a title winning side. We actually had less fans watching us get promoted to the 1st Division (660) than we did when we got releagted to the 3rd (I concede away supports are playing a part here but point still stands that we don't really see an increase when we do well). 

We either do something very wrong or simply people don't give a f**k about us. It's utterly depressing. 

On 15/01/2019 at 12:00, The Moonster said:

Why don't they care though? Our average attendances this year are lower than more than half the division, Montrose getting nearly 200 more through the door each week. Stranraer, Brechin and Stenny are the only 3 teams we are bettering for attendances. Why are we so hard to come and watch? I get that we're shite but even when we were good in this division we could only muster about 50-60 more fans each week (which is still below the average of around 800 for this division).

It looks like the new youngsters are enjoying themselves but we really need more than a group of 20 youngsters coming every week. The club can put on discounted tickets, discounted hospitality, pre-match entertainment and still no tangible increase in attendances, it's just the folk that already go who take advantage of these things.  I don't know how we get folk down there and I don't know how we keep them there - we have a friendly wee club down there that puts plenty on for fans but we see absolutely no reaction.  2,000 c***s will show up for a cup final and tell you how great it was despite defeat and not even 2% of them have returned to support us through the league campaign.  That was a cup final which had some excellent promotion from the club too, and we see no advantages.

The discussion was about our poor turnout and why fans don't come back when we do well but desert us when we do poorly.  I cannot for the life of me see anyone predicting the club going out of business or being wound up - the only thing I can see is O'Kelly Isley saying that the Scottish game at the lower end is slowly dying, but that isn't a statement exclusive to Dumbarton.

3 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

How disappointing. I was looking forward to hearing about the dressing room reaction when DT learned his jersey was sponsored by Ross Forbes. :bairn

I'm assured DT's return is not due to him having several older male relatives with forthcoming birthdays for which a bottle of Balantine's finest blend would come in handy.

One sure fire way to avoid that happening.

Volunteer to pick man of the match at an upcoming Sons game and don't pick him.

20 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Bit of help guys. Wanting to take my wee man through to Airdrie tomorrow and hoping to get on the supporters bus. I requested to join the Facebook travel group page a few months ago but not been accepted yet so can't send messages on it. Any idea how I can get on the bus if there is one running?

Tony I'll send you Tommy Hughes tel number privately. Give him a call/text.