Sons' sorrow

8 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

Quite happy to go to training each day and play reserve games and collect his wage. I’m sure killie facilities are a much higher standard than ours.

Even if he does come to us he can still train with Killie every day and play for their reserves on top of playing for us on a Saturday.  Dom seems quite a driven guy, I doubt he's happy not playing competitively but I could be wrong.

If Thomas returns it'll be interesting to see what our strongest 11 would be?

Adam in goals - if he isnt out through injury again? Or would Brennan be Duffy's starter?

You'd assume that we'd have a back 4 of Ballantyne and Ferguson at full back and a central partnership of Mango and the Dutch guy.

How would Duffy set the midfield up - 4 across the park or 3? There's Carswell, Hutton and Forbes for a midfield 3. Forbes does nothing out wide. Might be harsh on Thomson? Would Duffy drop Hutton? Bobby Barr or Michael Paton wide left in a midfield 4?

And is it 2 or 3 up front? Thomas looks to be at his best when he's cutting inside off the wing. Does Duffy play him through the middle with Boris? Does he go for a front 3 with Thomas, Boris and either Barr or Paton? Or does Thomson play as a target man with Boris and Thomas either side of him? Then there's Armour to consider.

That potentially gives us a bench of GK, Perry, Dyer, spare midfielder, spare winger and spare forward.

If we are able to bring Thomas back and that's the sum total of our business, can we see Duffy getting enough from the squad to get us where we need to be? And how does he set up this group of players

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I would hope not.  I must admit I'm struggling to figure out why it's not a done deal already.  Dom Thomas can only play for us or Killie, he won't play for Killie and will likely be released in the summer/sent out on loan again for a year, we want Dom Thomas - surely all of those things equal Dom Thomas joining us for the rest of the season?

Killie gain nothing from holding onto him and they've been happy to let Greg Kiltie and Ian Wilson go out on loan recently, two players who have had far bigger impact on Killie's first team than DT has. He's obviously Killie's player and they are free to do what they want with him but I struggle to see logic in keeping him.

I have a hunch some of our loanees in recent years have had financial aspects underwitten by a sponsor or sponsors; it may be that we can't match what Killie are looking for in terms of cash for Thomas's services, and if there is no sponsor willing to assist then that may be that.

And that would be hugely unfortunate, as midfield continues to be a massive problem area for us :( 

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

16 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

If we are able to bring Thomas back and that's the sum total of our business, can we see Duffy getting enough from the squad to get us where we need to be? And how does he set up this group of players

Interestingly... imo DT could be the difference between us staying up or going down. I think there are 2 things we currently lack from our team. A target man and a ball player to run at folk and create things.

If we add 1 of those then it kinda counteracts the other. If we don't add a ball player then we continue to play the ball long to all the small guys. As much as C Gall, Thomson and Melingui would do their best - it isn't their strongest asset. But if we sign someone like Thomas then we shouldn't have to resort to playing as many long balls.

Just look at Forfar and they don't have a big striker/target as such but they play good football and pass/dribble/run their way through (especially from midfield to attack).

If we don't sign anyone else we will struggle to stay up but if we do sign DT then we are giving ourselves a much better chance of staying up and will have significantly strengthened during the transfer window.

Edited by squeezeboxson

19 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Adam in goals - if he isnt out through injury again? Or would Brennan be Duffy's starter?

You'd assume that we'd have a back 4 of Ballantyne and Ferguson at full back and a central partnership of Mango and the Dutch guy.

How would Duffy set the midfield up - 4 across the park or 3? There's Carswell, Hutton and Forbes for a midfield 3. Forbes does nothing out wide. Might be harsh on Thomson? Would Duffy drop Hutton? Bobby Barr or Michael Paton wide left in a midfield 4?

And is it 2 or 3 up front? Thomas looks to be at his best when he's cutting inside off the wing. Does Duffy play him through the middle with Boris? Does he go for a front 3 with Thomas, Boris and either Barr or Paton? Or does Thomson play as a target man with Boris and Thomas either side of him? Then there's Armour to consider.

That potentially gives us a bench of GK, Perry, Dyer, spare midfielder, spare winger and spare forward.

image.png.a060b0d29de8d4ad90019684d899d199.png

12 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

IMO:

Brennan

Ballantyne -- Barr -- van Shaik -- Ferguson

Forbes -- Carswell -- Hutton -- Thomas

Melingui -- Gallagher

I don't think that's what Duffy believes our best 11 would be but it's what I think would work best.  I thought lining up with that defence (with Carswell playing instead of Barr) would be the best option last Saturday and I couldn't be more wrong, so who knows what Duffy is thinking. I think he'll prefer Adam when fit, also think he'll prefer Armour to Gallagher, but I'm yet to be convinced there. If we get Thomas back I'd be tempted to use him on the wing, or perhaps in the centre next to Hutton or Carswell. I know the Hutton and Carswell combination is fairly hated by Sons fans, but the sad fact is they're probably the best combination we have in there. The above leaves you with Paton, B. Barr, Thomson, Perry, Russell and Armour as options from the bench (I'm not counting Loy, I think it's clear he's all but done) which whilst isn't great, still offers the opportunity to change tactics if we need to.

3 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

If we add 1 of those then it kinda counteracts the other. If we don't add a ball player then we continue to play the ball long to all the small guys. As much as C Gall, Thomson and Melingui would do their best - it isn't their strongest asset.

I'd say on the evidence of Saturday aerial ability is one of Melingui's best assets. I agree though it would be preferable if we weren't humping long balls at him.

This'll be fun.

Purely on paper (and if Thomas does return), I'd be tempted to go with this...

Conor Brennan

Cammy Ballantyne Craig Barr Henk van Schaik David Ferguson

Ross Forbes Stuart Carswell Ryan Thomson Bobby Barr

Dominic Thomas
                                Boris Melingui

Adam doesn't fill me with any confidence and is injury prone, so lets give Brennan a chance. Back four picks itself and, on paper, looks quite handy. Ballantyne, Henk and Ferguson are quick, Mango is uncompromising in the air and a leader, and I'm confident that all four will provide a more balanced defence than the various players we tried earlier in the season.

Forbes for me has to start wide on the right with Ballantyne overlapping him. It won't work with another defender overlapping him, and he doesn't work in a midfield two alongside Hutton. Add that to the fact he's a fantastic crosser, and it's a no-brainer to put him there imo.

Carsy should slot back into his natural position, alongside Thomson - one of the weak points. There are two reasons Hutton isn't there; firstly he can't play alongside Carsy (as we all know from trying it far too many times) and secondly he's been playing through injury since September(?). He can't do that all season and, above all else, he shouldn't do that all season - God knows the sort of pain he must be dealing with, but there comes a point where he'll realise that he has to stop. I don't rate Thomson that much, but he's worth a shot. If he fails, and with Hutton injured, the decision to punt Spencer will look even stranger.

Wide left is Bobby Barr. He has great games, he then vanishes for a month, but he's a winger - and that's what they do. He's also a better option than Paton or Gallagher imo.

Up top DT would be straight in alongside Boris, albeit not as a striker - but more in that sort of roaming free role he played for a spell. On Saturday, and up at Glebe Park in August, Boris looked like the sort of guy who would take chances if presented to him - and his movement was very strikery. I'm confident he'll score goals for us if we create openings.

If that doesn't work then you could try moving Thomas onto the left-wing for Barr, and playing Gallagher and Boris up top - which changes things around a wee bit.

Edited by Ross Forbes

3 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

This better not become a full two month transfer saga.

I didn't know that though, I knew the loan deadlines were extended in the summer for clubs below the Championship, but I didn't know it was the same in the winter window. @Skyline Drifter can you confirm if I can stop refreshing the website after tonight or not?

Clubs below the Championship can bring in loans from within the SPFL through February too, just as they could through September.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A lot of posters seem convinced there will be the Second Coming of Dom Thomas.  I wish I was as confident.

I don't see it happening, although I think most are clinging to desperate hope rather than expectation. I think its more likely that our business is done, rather than us signing anyone else, sadly. 

Quotes from Steve Clarke today

Working on one. Not a big name but I think a big talent and one for the future.

So if we can get that one in it will be good. There might be one or two on the way out on loan.

I am happy with the squad I’ve got. We’ve done good work so far in the transfer window.

It is difficult to add to the squad we’ve got because they have been fantastic for me. Maybe if you are struggling at the other end of the table you tend to gamble on a few more players

I don’t need to do that which is great and we look forward to the rest of the season.

IMG_0095.jpg

Updated***

I would start Armour over Boris simply for the fact I think he can hold the ball up better.

( from what I seen on Saturday)

Boris is a good addition to the team.

I would prefer to see him coming on as a sub when the opposition is beginning to tire.

3 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

IMG_0095.jpg

Updated***

I would start Armour over Boris simply for the fact I think he can hold the ball up better.

( from what I seen on Saturday)

Boris is a good addition to the team.

I would prefer to see him coming on as a sub when the opposition is beginning to tire.

Interesting how opinions differ. I think Boris was 100× better than Armour on Saturday. I missed Ben's first match but Boris is the closest thing to a natural striker I have seen this season in a sons shirt.

But that may have been him giving a bit extra as he was looking to earn a deal...