Sons' sorrow

Of all Aitken's signings, Little was one of the strangest. The guy had barely played any football at all in about four seasons. 
I've got plenty of time for him though. You could tell he was a decent player, just very broken, and he put in some good performances at right-back. He comes across as decent guy, and it's hard not to feel for him in that article. In quite a short period of time he went from scoring for his boyhood club in an Old Firm and being a full international, to being a crippled lower league journeyman who struggled to manage more than 15 minutes a month without facing time out. It must've been very tough.
It says a lot that he realised that he wasn't enjoying it anymore and couldn't contribute much, and chose to rip up his deal early. I can't help but feel as if a few members of the current squad are in a similar boat, but likely won't walk away from the cash.
Good luck to him.

I’m sure I’d read it was only a 3 month deal he signed in the summer

At Morton, Duffy's approach in the transfer windows was so frustrating. He'd regularly just say "we'll wait and see" and then the window closes and we've signed no one. He loves dishing out a random 6 month contract to some absolute diddy, normally in the summer though. 
Did you hear much from him at all or was he the quiet and reserved type? I always thought he seemed quite a 'talkative' guy at Morton, I certainly remember seeing plenty of interviews etc.

We've really not heard much from him at all. He doesn't seem to many post interviews (I'm guessing it's choice as we always got one from Aitken) and we haven't even really had much in writing on the OS etc.

I also wish he'd ditch the tracksuit mink look for the glimmering sea trout suit that he rocked at Cappielow.

What concerns me about Duffy is that people will start losing patience with him before he's had a chance to do a complete summer overhaul and build his own team.
I'd be surprised if anyone wanted him bagged before he has a chance to build his own team. I do think that whilst results continue to be average to poor it would be in his best interests to build a bit of rapport with the supporters, at the moment he seems very distant. Even Ian Murray, who was widely considered dour faced and a bit of an introvert, was always giving plenty of interviews, updates and attending meet the manager sessions.

FWIW my questioning of his ongoing silence is by no means me questioning his ability as a manager nor is it me losing patience with him. It's more an admittance that his silence is starting to give off a bit of an iffy vibe. You could be forgiven for thinking he doesn't want to be here with the lack of enthusiasm on display at the minute.

I don't think anyone could deny that this has to be the least we've heard from a manager in a long time and I think that given our current predicament it would be nice to get some reassurances from him, something John Steele has been very good at in recent times. I'm certainly not expecting coffees and days out up the toon with his own personal supporters club but I do expect the basic post match interviews and the odd update.

24 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Did you hear much from him at all or was he the quiet and reserved type? I always thought he seemed quite a 'talkative' guy at Morton, I certainly remember seeing plenty of interviews etc.

We've really not heard much from him at all. He doesn't seem to many post interviews (I'm guessing it's choice as we always got one from Aitken) and we haven't even really had much in writing on the OS etc.

I also wish he'd ditch the tracksuit mink look for the glimmering sea trout suit that he rocked at Cappielow.

Heard a lot but it was always the same chat every interview: "We don't set targets" "spoken to a couple of players, we'll see what happens".

Agree about the suit, don't think he ever wore a tracksuit in the dugout during his time with us. 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Comfortably 90% of them were about what the Celtic manager should/shouldn't be doing though.

Allardice is away back to Dundee United, with Loy, Russell, Perry, Mango and Adam all still out tomorrow.
https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3901
No great loss, although it does mean our already injury ravaged squad is another body down.

I wonder if we'll see a trialist or two over the coming weeks.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

No great loss, although it does mean our already injury ravaged squad is another body down.

I wonder if we'll see a trialist or two over the coming weeks.

Given how threadbare we are/desperate I am for some new blood I'm really hopeful we will.

Dumbarton FC have spent the entire season letting me down though, so I'm not holding my breath.

17 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

We have just signed Ally Roy. Is he as terrible as his record looks? 

The worst thing about him by an absolute mile is his old man posting on here.

He's quick and a good finisher, but doesn't have a lot else. He was mainly a fringe player for us and, a few nice goals aside, showed little to suggest he'd be in full-time football a year later. Play him as a striker alongside a big targetman type and you might get some success, but play him as a winger and he'll leave his full-back horribly exposed, rarely beat a man and vanish if the game gets tough or physical.

If he gets a decent run, and the Jags' form picks up, he might do alright. Stevie Aitken was excellent at sucking the life out of attacking players.

19 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

One of those kinda guys who looks like he will be more dangerous than he is. He scored a couple of decent goals but overall was too lightweight and inconsistent in my opinion. I always wanted him to do better but I completely understood when his loan wasn't extended with ourselves.

He's not terrible, no. He wasn't hugely rated by a lot of our fans but I thought he was one of our best players at the time (we were pretty shite at the time tbf). He's lightening quick, direct and decent for a goal. He's a bit inconsistent and tends to flit in and out of games and perhaps lacks in end product at times but I quite liked him. I always felt if he had been given a proper run in our team he'd have done better than he did. We also played him as a winger and I'm sure he was described as striker when he first signed so I've no idea what his preferred position is. I wouldn't have him down as a top Championship player but I reckon he'll do a job for you.

He seemed to do well over in Ireland and managed to play his way into the NI u21 setup.

Cheers for the response guys. Doesn’t exactly sound like a thrilling signing but not sure what else to expect given how pish we and our manager are.

His dad has already cropped up (claiming to be a former teacher, rather creepily), so looking forward to that. 

All the best to you this season. 

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd be surprised if anyone wanted him bagged before he has a chance to build his own team. I do think that whilst results continue to be average to poor it would be in his best interests to build a bit of rapport with the supporters, at the moment he seems very distant. Even Ian Murray, who was widely considered dour faced and a bit of an introvert, was always giving plenty of interviews, updates and attending meet the manager sessions.

FWIW my questioning of his ongoing silence is by no means me questioning his ability as a manager nor is it me losing patience with him. It's more an admittance that his silence is starting to give off a bit of an iffy vibe. You could be forgiven for thinking he doesn't want to be here with the lack of enthusiasm on display at the minute.

I don't think anyone could deny that this has to be the least we've heard from a manager in a long time and I think that given our current predicament it would be nice to get some reassurances from him, something John Steele has been very good at in recent times. I'm certainly not expecting coffees and days out up the toon with his own personal supporters club but I do expect the basic post match interviews and the odd update.

Aye, I wasn’t referring to anything said on here, just a feeling of nameless dread that he’ll be hounded out by what Ross Forbes would call the sweetie rustlers if we only finish 8th.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:
4 minutes ago, FifeSons said:
Aye, I wasn’t referring to anything said on here, just a feeling of nameless dread that he’ll be hounded out by what Ross Forbes would call the sweetie rustlers if we only finish 8th.

If we finish 8th we'll stay up. As things stand that has to be the focus.

I completely agree, I’ve said for a while I’d take 8th. However, I could see some folk feeling differently.