Sons' sorrow

He's had a bit of a nightmare since being dismissed. His comments regarding the influence of supporters were unfair and he's since made some more questionable comments regarding his sacking. It's still pretty close to his sacking and he'll obviously still harbour resentment. He can rightly complain about the number of injuries that his squad had. Unfortunately the guys who are fit were signed by Aitken and don't look to be gelled as a team or capable of delivering in this league. The guys he signed weren't doing it for him and aren't doing it for Duffy on anything like a regular enough basis.
Best thing that fans can do now is ignore him. Don't engage. Don't bite. Leave him to get on with things and don't give him any encouragement to get into unhelpful exchanges on social media. He gave us some good days as manager. He gave us some shockers. He's yesterday's news - today's chip paper - and should be left to get on with things as we try to move on ourselves.

If someone’s being a w**k I can’t help myself but engage. He’s a clown.

Nobody abused him either, folk (including myself) only replied to that ridiculous tweet about Faz. Now he is away playing the victim.

Callum Gallagher isn’t good enough for us. Runs about a bit, has zero quality, he’s not strong, or fast, his Finishing is very poor (Most goals are scrappy).    

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I have never really rated Gallagher from the start, I was initially quite excited by his signing as he was given some good press by a few of my St Mirren supporting mates. It seems whenever we could do with a bit of pressure coming off us and we play the ball up to him and he can’t seem to control or even make the simplest ball stick to hold up play ( like a half decent striker would) and get us up the park. No aerial presence, lack of physical strength, and in all honesty there has been a fair few chances he has had that are simply ‘bread and butter’ to a striker and he hasn’t converted, granted he has scored a few but at the end of the day it is a law of averages that the amount of chances we create someone has got to at least put a few in the net. Would rather have a fit beanie over Gallagher up top every day of the week. His intelligence, runs off the ball and general technical ability are far superior and although his goal scoring record may not be as high this season I feel his contribution to the team would be far more positive.   

With each passing week I start to convince myself that a new striker is just as important as a new left back or centre back. Gallagher has been fairly rotten the last few weeks and really hasn't taken his chance in the starting 11. I don't rate Beany either, given he has 3 goals in 30 odd appearances since his return I don't think he is the answer.

What we really need is a Jim Lister. Someone who can hold the ball up, knows where the net is and will chuck himself at some of thos Ross Forbes deliveries into the box.

At one point we had 4 strikers on our books this season. All 4 of them have turned out to be a bit of a disaster through a combination of injury, shitebaggery and simply not being good enough. Frustrating.

I understand the Gallagher criticism to an extent, he does miss plenty of chances, and he never looks like he has control of the ball. What I would say is that, of the however many strikers we've had this season, he's looked the best. Not that that's saying much mind you.

I'd love Beany to be our main man again, just like everyone else who is around my age. But lets look at it on a basic level, yes he does plenty of running, yes his movement's good, but he's scored once in the league in almost a calendar year. He's been worse in front of goal than Gallagher and, before his injury, was passing up a sitter almost every week. When he was starting every week fans were critical of him - not as much as last season, but there was still a general consensus that he shouldn't really be a starter for us.

Loy should've been the answer to our striking prayers, and I'd love him to come good. There's an excellent player in there, just hidden by a few years of shattered confidence. Again though when he started he missed some sitters and was roundly slated.

Basically the point I'm making is that, whoever starts up front for us, is almost always slated, and fans consider there to be better options in reserve. 

Unless either Loy or Beany seriously up their game when they return from injury I'd expect Gallagher to keep his spot. The only way that would change would be if we signed a forward who could score goals, work hard and hold play up (hiya Robert, hiya pal).

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

With each passing week I start to convince myself that a new striker is just as important as a new left back or centre back. Gallagher has been fairly rotten the last few weeks and really hasn't taken his chance in the starting 11. I don't rate Beany either, given he has 3 goals in 30 odd appearances since his return I don't think he is the answer.

What we really need is a Jim Lister. Someone who can hold the ball up, knows where the net is and will chuck himself at some of thos Ross Forbes deliveries into the box.

At one point we had 4 strikers on our books this season. All 4 of them have turned out to be a bit of a disaster through a combination of injury, shitebaggery and simply not being good enough. Frustrating.

I'd say it is more important to get a striker in at the moment. I agree that left back is our weakest position but we could easily get away with the odd defensive mistake if we could convert even 10% of the chances we create (in most games). If we had a poacher we could easily have scored 4 goals on Saturday. I'd much rather we invested in the attacking department and outscored our opponents than shoring up a defence that actually is okay overall and especially if we can get Mango fit again would improve dramatically without any extra signings.

Just now, squeezeboxson said:

I'd say it is more important to get a striker in at the moment. I agree that left back is our weakest position but we could easily get away with the odd defensive mistake if we could convert even 10% of the chances we create (in most games). If we had a poacher we could easily have scored 4 goals on Saturday. I'd much rather we invested in the attacking department and outscored our opponents than shoring up a defence that actually is okay overall and especially if we can get Mango fit again would improve dramatically without any extra signings.

I'd probably agree with that. On the centre-back issue, I'd be more than happy to keep Carsy alongside Mango when he's back. Not only has he looked very comfortable there (especially as a ball-playing defender who can read the game extremely well) Hutton's form has also improved since that partnership was finally broken up.

If we kept Dowie as backup, and only added a left-back I'd be relatively content. 

I understand the Gallagher criticism to an extent, he does miss plenty of chances, and he never looks like he has control of the ball. What I would say is that, of the however many strikers we've had this season, he's looked the best. Not that that's saying much mind you. I'd love Beany to be our main man again, just like everyone else who is around my age. But lets look at it on a basic level, yes he does plenty of running, yes his movement's good, but he's scored once in the league in almost a calendar year. He's been worse in front of goal than Gallagher and, before his injury, was passing up a sitter almost every week. When he was starting every week fans were critical of him - not as much as last season, but there was still a general consensus that he shouldn't really be a starter for us.

Loy should've been the answer to our striking prayers, and I'd love him to come good. There's an excellent player in there, just hidden by a few years of shattered confidence. Again though when he started he missed some sitters and was roundly slated.

Basically the point I'm making is that, whoever starts up front for us, is almost always slated, and fans consider there to be better options in reserve. 

Unless either Loy or Beany seriously up their game when they return from injury I'd expect Gallagher to keep his spot. The only way that would change would be if we signed a forward who could score goals, work hard and hold play up (hiya Robert, hiya pal).

All about opinions, obviously Gallagher has scored more than Beany but I really believe that he contributes more in terms of his all round game, he is a very intelligent player that is good on the ball, draws fouls and drags defenders everywhere.

I think if he got off the mark prior to his injury and didn’t get injured he would have got another few.

Obviously his goal scoring record has not been up to scratch since he has returned but I think it’s important to remember that the majority of this time was under extremely defensive tactics, last year he also wasn’t as fit and sharp looking as he was at the start of the current campaign.

Loy has been a massive disappointment, a player that like most I was buzzing about us signing, obviously it’s unfortunate he has spent most of this season on the sideline but it just hasn’t helped our cause at all.

Come home Robert Thomson ( v unlikely [emoji24])

5 hours ago, FraserDFC said:

All about opinions, obviously Gallagher has scored more than Beany but I really believe that he contributes more in terms of his all round game, he is a very intelligent player that is good on the ball, draws fouls and drags defenders everywhere.

I think if he got off the mark prior to his injury and didn’t get injured he would have got another few.

Obviously his goal scoring record has not been up to scratch since he has returned but I think it’s important to remember that the majority of this time was under extremely defensive tactics, last year he also wasn’t as fit and sharp looking as he was at the start of the current campaign.

Loy has been a massive disappointment, a player that like most I was buzzing about us signing, obviously it’s unfortunate he has spent most of this season on the sideline but it just hasn’t helped our cause at all.

Come home Robert Thomson ( v unlikely emoji24.png)

My concern with Beany is that he needed a full pre season to get back looking for and now is he is injured we could get the Iain Russell from last season back again. I agree overall that he was contributing well this season before he got injured. I wouldn't mind one of Gallagher and Russell alongside a new striker. They would both offer something different and it would give us option to change our system if it wasn't working - which really has been one of our biggest downfalls this season. When things aren't working we have little to no option to change what we are doing.

It's early i know but unlikely I'll be visiting P&B tomorrow so Merry Christmas to all fellow sons fans (and supporters of other clubs of course) Hope you all have a great day.

Hopefully Jim Duffy has been a good boy this year and Santa brings him a few new players.

40 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

It's early i know but unlikely I'll be visiting P&B tomorrow so Merry Christmas to all fellow sons fans (and supporters of other clubs of course) Hope you all have a great day.

Hopefully Jim Duffy has been a good boy this year and Santa brings him a few new players.

Nah, you're right. I don't lift the phone and social media on Xmas Day either.

So happy Xmas back at you, and also to all others reading this.

Even any Bankies  or Jeelyeaters ;)

Ross Forbes is now on eight goals for the season - the highest return for a Sons midfielder since Jordan Kirkpatrick hit the same number in 2013/14, and the highest league return since Aggy's 11 in 2012/13.

In an absolutely dire campaign that is a very credible return. Especially given he's played at left-back for a bit, and the two players mentioned above were in far, far better teams (albeit at a higher level).